Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

To tell the truth I had a bunch of clicking and clacking before the surgery, along with a ton of pain!
 
I had more clicking during the first months to a year. I almost never have clicking anymore. I liked your comment on it being a "friendly sound." The knee is happy. :)
 
When I first began swimming again both knees clicked as I kicked, but only the natural knee hurt as it clicked. It was so weird!
 
No clicking today, but lefty does hurt a little tonight. I am being very careful with packing for my move, but I have had extra sitting with good bye lunches with friends, plus yesterday more packing with my family helping, plus walking and then more sitting at a restaurant, and then sitting and talking with them some more before they left, and then today going through files, hauling trash to the trash chute, stuff like that. All done carefully and cautiously, but way more activity than these knees have seen in quite some time. So elevating and icing tonight, and not very much sitting. I don't know why the sitting is so hard on my knees, I'm talking about sitting with my feet on the floor, so the knees are angled.The knees don't hurt while I am sitting, just terribly stiff when I get up, and then the tendons and muscles behind the knees hurt the next day. And night before last woke up with a really nasty charlie horse. I wanted to take a magnesium pill, but had taken the horse pill antibiotic for the dentist and had intestinal reaction which would have been really aggravated by the magnesium. Oh my gosh there is so much strategy going on with this knee recovery!!!! It's all good though. I am at the packing stage where everything is torn up and it all looks way worse and like much more stuff than before I started packing. I can't believe how much stuff has already gone to goodwill and down the trash chute, but it doesn't look like anything is gone.
 
Those Charlie horses after TKR are horrible! A banana or two will help as well as lots of water.
 
Thanks for the reminder @KarriB - I don't have any bananas but I do have some V-8 and it has a lot of potassium in it too. Drinking some now. As for water, I drink it all day long.

I just read your comment in another thread about loving your bed but hating it during early recovery at night, and it is exactly the sentiment I expressed too in early days. I dreaded the nights, despite my loving my bed!
 
Feeling a little discouraged. Fell asleep and then lefty woke me up with zingers. Wondering if zingers will ever go away. They don't happen all the time, but tonight? Yes.
 
I still have mild zingers in my numb spots. My knee will be 2 in June.
 
My left knee right at the outside edge of the joint is tweaked. It started during tutoring from sitting and working with students. I babied it and it resolved after a couple days of rest and icing and elevation. Now after working on going through things for packing it has acted up again. I am going to have to call a halt to the packing and baby the knee - would you agree? When my kids and I talked about this move, they said they would do it all, and somehow I have stepped up and have started doing things like hauling stuff to the trash, lifting boxes, etc. Can't do it. Going to go ice and elevate right now. Please cross fingers nothing "bad" is going on. Because of course my mind goes right to the teeth cleaning earlier this week, and did the bacteria travel to the knee. Irrational I suspect, but its there in my mind. And now its in my post to you guys. Thanks for reading.
 
Isn't just like us to want to join in and help when others are working around us? It's so easy to do, but at your healing stage you should not be carrying any loads at all. It's time to stop and let the youngsters take over! Go back to your resting and icing routine for the next few days.
 
Now after working on going through things for packing it has acted up again. I am going to have to call a halt to the packing and baby the knee - would you agree?
I think your knee is just reacting to the additional use. Give it lots of TLC - and let your kids do the packing, as they offered.
Please cross fingers nothing "bad" is going on. Because of course my mind goes right to the teeth cleaning earlier this week, and did the bacteria travel to the knee.
If it's any reassurance for you, the bacteria in your mouth are not the ones usually associated with joint infections.
 
Thank you KarriB, sistersinhim and Celle for your kind responses. I swear it is so easy to panic sometimes. I cruise along feeling confident, even posting what I think are calming messages on other members' threads, and then BAM, some wrinkle happens in my own recovery and I go into panic mode. I appreciate your comments and advice so very much.
 
@mlwreader I hate moving. Denver is a beautiful area. Good luck with your move. Your knee journey has been an inspiration for me. @MSgirl I am glad the clicking is nothing to worry about. @SherrieT I cringed at your account of your fall. Just so grateful you are okay.
 
Oh, dear. It sounds like your found your Superwoman cape while you were packing. Please put it back in the box! Moving is hard enough when we are healthy but right now, the knees just can't take it. When we moved down here four years ago, I thought I would die. Thank goodness for Aleve. But this soon after your surgery - no. You have stuff to do on the other end so save some of yourself. I'm so glad you'll have family there to help. Do you remember Lamaze breathing? This might be a good time to practice it when the nerves appear.
 
That’s right, tell Superwoman to sit down. Your kids want to help, so let them! This is the joy of having children: when they get older, we can put them to work. Besides, think of all the things you did for them. Give them this opportunity to show their love and support for the mom they love.

It’s natural to panic with these new knees. They’re our new babies. We want to protect them from the world. Every time one of my knees yelps, my mind flies to various threats: infection, metal allergy, something broke... none of which are likely. The most likely thing is my knee is being a brat (weather) or reacting badly to a bump. Nothing serious. I wonder if I will ever become nonchalant about these things.
 
Thank you KarriB, sistersinhim and Celle for your kind responses. I swear it is so easy to panic sometimes. I cruise along feeling confident, even posting what I think are calming messages on other members' threads, and then BAM, some wrinkle happens in my own recovery and I go into panic mode. I appreciate your comments and advice so very much.

@mlwreader Boy does this ever hit home! How are you feeling today?
 
Hi @SherrieT - been thinking of you. How was the birthday? How are your knees? I will check out your thread in a minute. I am doing better today, but the lefty is still a little out of sorts. It only hurts when I move a certain way, and so I am making sure to move somewhat slowly.

I am being ultra careful because I don't have a ton of time to rest, so much to do with the move, but I also want to be very careful not to hurt myself. I am going to purchase one of those collapsable canes to take with me just in case. I won't need it on the trip because my son has reserved a wheel chair for the airports. But just the first week or so while I get used to the new area. Plus the entry way to my son's house is somewhat precarious with rock borders and all manner of things to deal with - lol. And my daughter in law told me today my lounger thingy - can't remember what the heck it is called but it is for elevating and icing - anyway I ordered it from Amazon to be delivered to their house and it came today. I am signing the lease on my new place on Feb. 28. Most of my things are being shipped with my car, and I don't know the eta yet.

All of this is so exciting, and it is all coming a year after we originally thought I should move. Unfortunately the knees would not let that happen in 2017, and everything had to be put on hold until the knee surgery. I was in so much pain last year that even if they offered to carry me to Denver on a stretcher it wasn't going to happen.

So that's my update tonight. On the couch right now, doing the bonesmart thing. Whatever would I do without this site and you wonderful people. xxoo
 
You will love the Lounge Doctor! To me, it was the perfect way to elevate! Moving is so exciting, but so tiring, too! I know you'll be glad when it's all over with.
 
@mlwreader - When is the move scheduled for? Please take it easy or as easy as you are able to force yourself. Stop doing so much. Trust the kids to do what they said they would. I know, easy for me to say.....

I had a very nice little pre-birthday dinner with family and friends on Saturday night. My son-in-law cooked a wonderful Tunisian spaghetti w/mussels, plus we had big bowls of extra mussels. Rhode Island has the most incredible seafood. The mussels were big, plump and juicy. My daughter baked a peach cake with peach frosting and peach/ginger filling. It was a light peach flavor, not overwhelming. It was beautiful. And she bakes from scratch, no mixes for her.

Please be gentle with yourself
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom