TKR Second TKR'

It's not at all unusual for it to take longer to achieve extension than flexion. And, as you know, there's no need to rush, no "window of opportunity".

This article suggests a few ways you can help with extension. As always, just do a few exercises, gently.
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
 
I know, My first knee took 9 months. I am not worried! This one is already further along at this point.
 
It's so funny here I am looked on as the speed freak progressing too fast, and my Dr. is concerned I'm not progressing fast enough. :rotfl:

Frankly, if this is all I get, I'm happy. But I will get more!
 
10 weeks, and both legs have the same flexion, 130-135, still working on extension on the right knee, maybe 2-3. It's starting to lock, though, good. :) Still some minor swelling compared to the other knee, I didn't reach 0 on that knee until all swelling was gone. Stairs, two steps at a time up or down is no problem.
 
Your ROM is great! An extension of 2 or 3 is almost zero. I'm sure you'll get to zero without any problem.
Well done!
 
The only reason I work on my extension is my OS harps on it. I want to shut him up! The other knee took 9 month, I'm in no hurry!
 
I'm so glad I had a surgeon whose philosophy was "Function is more important than the numbers". He just says, "Show me what you can do" when it comes to bending and straightening. He's experienced enough to assess if I have a good, functioning ROM.

Of course you need good numbers to function well, but a degree or two is insignificant.
 
one thing concerns me a little about my OS and my extension. He has taken to compare the new knee to the older knee that did reach 0. I beleive the old knee has moved a couple of degrees further since then.
 
"Function is more important than the numbers"
I understand that as part of ObamaCare, insurance payments are tied to outcome, now. That may be why the push. I feel I am 100% functional. well beyond where I was a few years back. I kneeled on the ground this morning, looking for something under my car seat, and neither knee complained.
 
Wow, Jim! kneeling on your knee already. I can't even stand a cat to walk on mine, much less all my weight on it! You are doing so well. Your surgeon is good, but concerned about the wrong thing. A person still have good numbers and no strength. You have fantastic strength and total use of your knees! That's what counts!
 
I'm so glad I had a surgeon whose philosophy was "Function is more important than the numbers".
YES!!! Too often---all too often, we are a quantitative lot and look only at the numbers. What is important is the qualitative aspect of the TKR---how much better our life is after the TKR or the BTKR---something that you really cannot put numbers on.
 
10 weeks, now, and my knee is basically just a knee. No ice, no pain meds, it just works. With the single exception of being just short of 0 at extension. I have become determined to get to 0 by my 3 month checkup, so the OS stops trying to get me to worry about it. :thumb:
 
Ditto wow!


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Just checking in occasionally. at 11 weeks, I couldn't be happier with the knee. *almost* 0, my wife pushes on it when I lay on the floor, to hurry it. Once or twice a week. I would just wait, like the first knee, but the OS has made 0 a goal for me, maybe punishment for refusing OT and PT! :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom