TKR Second (and hopefully last) TKR Recovery Underway

My extension is almost 0 and my flexion measured 110.
That's amazing ROM for just 7 days post-op!
Everything is better this time around - balance, appetite, sleep - and I am so grateful!
Isn't there a song about things being lovelier the second time around? :loll:

You've got this @CamGram. :happydance:
 
Everything is better this time around - balance, appetite, sleep - and I am so grateful!
Hi @CamGram , super to see how well you're doing with #2! Makes me hopeful that my own #2 won't be any worse than #1 ... but being the pessimistic optimist, I'll plan for the worse but hope for the best.

All the best on your continued excellent progress!
 
Wow! Congratulations, that sounds wonderful!
 
What a wonderful blessing you are having with this knee!
 
@sistersinhim you are right about that - I am incredibly blessed. And with spring coming … how much better could life be?
 
Amen! Our daffodils are blooming right now!
 
Day 21 update …

Whoever called recovery a roller coaster ride was absolutely correct. While I continue to do remarkably well, there is often pain and/or discomfort. While I initially had really good extension and flexion, both decreased a bit when the swelling and bruising appeared a few days after surgery. Most nights I sleep well but there are occasional nights where sleep is elusive. I can do everything my physical therapist asks of me but PT periodically sends me to the ODIC bench.

I saw my OS on Tuesday for my initial post-surgical check-up. He was pleased with everything (x-rays, extension, flexion, healing) and suggested I just continue doing what I’m doing.

This recovery has seemed easier that my first … I think knowing what to expect has helped tremendously. I also think, at least for me, that the timing has been important. I had my first TKR in the fall, recovering as winter brought colder weather and darker days. Having my second TKR in February means that the days are longer and often sunnier. Being able to get outside more often, as well as looking forward to warmer days, has really improved my mood. Of course, it probably helps to know that I don’t have any more knees to replace! Now I just have to focus on taking good care of my hips and shoulders and the rest of my original parts!
 
Hi @CamGram , very good report! Good for you! It gives me great hope for my coming LTKR in April. The prospect of spending beautiful days rehabbing was getting me down (I tend to assume the worse case scenario and imagine being stuck indoors for a few months, even if that wasn't the case with my RTKR.)

Not having any other knees to do after the second one is a good thought! . And yeah, got to maintain the rest of the body!

Best wishes for continued great recovery!
 
@glidefloss, thanks for the kind words. You are going to do great with your surgery! Reading some of your past posts, it’s obvious that you are both fit and hard-working. What better combination to have going into your second TKR? And you’ll be rehabbing in the beautiful Colorado sunshine - what could be better? (I lived in Colorado Springs for three years and I’m a huge fan of summers there!)

I’ll be following your recovery in April - best of luck!
 
I think knowing what to expect has helped tremendously
I totally agree. The fear of not knowing if what I'm feeling is normal is always on the back of our minds with those who have had no previous experience. Having been through it before relaxes so many of those fears meaning less stress. Having less stress also means, most of the time, less pain! That is why it is important for the 1st timers to listen to those of us who have already been through this surgery. We want to help ease those fears.
 
@CamGram you have a great attitude! I had my second done a week ahead of you and am finding this one to be a better recovery than the first. More ups than downs! So glad to read your report. Keep up the good work!
 
All these posts are good to hear! I’m so very thankful that my husband found Bonesmart a few days after my initial TKR in Early October. ( he’s the “computer person” in our family.....me, not really). I’ve found so very much encouragement & good advice from others here. And a lot of friends, albeit long-distance. (Wouldn’t a reunion be fun?). Seeing other’s posts reassures me so often, and reminds me that this is a yearlong recovery, and each of us heals differently, with many different journeys. At present, I am on antibiotics for an infection in my incision earlier. We’ll discuss with my ID Dr when to stop it on Monday. Precious time with our 6 year old grandson, a visit with my older sibling & families, gardening, Farmers Market.... all these figure in. When I stop the antibiotic, I’ll be most vulnerable, & no way to predict, or prevent. ( keeping healthy in the meantime!). But if I Should get another infection, we’ll be veterans in the process, & I’ll have my Bonesmart buddies in the wings. I’m just enjoying SO much , my life without that constant bone-on bone pain! As my middle sister so often says,” life is Good!” I’m so very glad to see all of your wonderful reports! Everyone have a wonderful day.
 
Sorry about the length of this post but I have a question about pain -

For the past day or two I have experienced an intermittent, intense pain in my left (new) knee and leg. It seems to be triggered by movement or positioning and isn’t helped by ice, heat, elevation or meds. It is located within my knee and extends somewhat to the outside of my knee, running up towards my thigh a little bit. It’s difficult to describe but it’s like a spasm or sudden tightness that takes my breath away and twists my stomach. Until last night, it only occurred a couple of times - always at night when I changed positions in bed. I initially thought I was just moving in a way that the knee was not ready to move but it’s now clearly something more than that. It happens when I’m supine or sitting but I rarely feel it when I am standing or walking. I can still bend and straighten my knee but I am extremely careful when I do so. My knee is not unusually warm or red and I don’t have a significant temperature. I do have a headache and an upset stomach (lack of sleep plus pain, perhaps?).

Last night, I experienced the pain multiple times and, after going to bed, I continued to have it almost every time I moved. Sleep was sporadic and the pain was excruciating. I spoke with the on-call OS this morning and he thinks I may be dehydrated. He advised me to drink Gatorade and has called in a prescription for a muscle relaxant. My husband is on his way to the pharmacy now.

I saw my OS and had x-rays last Tuesday and was doing really well. I had PT yesterday and felt some pain when I tried to straighten my knee so we immediately stopped that. I couldn’t think of anything to explain the pain while straightening and it clearly puzzled my physical therapist. Although I had some pain at PT, the “spasms” didn’t begin until later in the evening.

I am exhausted and in a lot of pain now. I am going to try and schedule an appointment as soon as possible with my OS but he has surgery on Monday so it may take a day or two to get in to see him. In addition, we are caught in an unusual snowstorm that is going to make driving difficult for a day or two. I know I can do this but I’m already exhausted.

Has anyone had anything like this? Does anyone have any advice as to what it might be or what I might do about it? Thanks in advance.
 
Oh, @CamGram , I'm sorry you are going through this. :sad: I hope the muscle relaxant and Gatorade help your spasms! Let us know if they work. The only thing I can think of is you irritated something at PT and need time and TLC to let it settle down. Praying for some relief for you.:praying:
 
Hi @CamGram , sorry to hear of the spasms your knees been having. Hopefully it'll either go away by itself or you'll find out what triggered it. My uneducated guess is that that's somehow part of the healing process.

Over the past several weeks I'd added some lateral type knee stretching and increased weight training and would experience inside knee pain and tightness a few hours later but when pressing all around the knee I couldn't discern any swelling. While not spasms, there was discomfort everytime I started moving the knee. The knee would be warm to the touch, something that hasn't been the case for a while. We decided to take a short trip away from home (and from my rehab routines, of which I mindlessly am a slave to) and do a lot of walking instead. The knee has been a champ during our trip.

Hopefully some r&r will.do your knee good.

All the best for speedy improvement and resolution!
 
Thanks for your concern, @Susie-Q and @glidefloss. I spoke to my doc’s PA this morning and she feels that these were muscle spasms triggered by aggressive PT. The muscle relaxant has helped a lot although my knee is still somewhat painful. I am skipping tomorrow’s PT but plan to go on Friday and discuss all of this with my physical therapist. She has been really pushing me with this knee since my recovery has been so rapid. She had me do some things on Friday that I was probably not physically ready to do, hence the painful reaction. (Believe me, I will think very carefully before complying with her requests on Friday; I NEVER want to experience that pain again!)

Hopefully the muscle relaxer, resting, icing and elevating I’ve been doing will help that muscle calm down. Recovery really is roller coaster ride!
 
Hi @CamGram , yep, recovery is indeed a roller coaster ride ... lots of ups, downs, twists and turns. Definitely not easy at all - physically and mentally! The need to manage expectations, to balance "too little" versus "too much", to moderate desire in light of reality --- not easy at all!

Thanks for sharing your story as it's a great reminder to folks like me that setbacks can and do occur, not matter how well things seem to be moving along ... and that setbacks momentarily slow progress, giving us an opportunity to decide the best path forward.

Hopefully you'll be over this latest challenge and on your way again forward.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom