TKR Second (and hopefully last) TKR Recovery Underway

I thinking of you right now!!!!! :prayer:
 
Hi, @CamGram, you’ve been in my thoughts a lot today, trusting all went well, and that you are resting .....
 
Thanks, all! Surgery began around 12:30 (almost when scheduled!) and it went well. My hospital has returned to keeping most people overnight (guess Omicron is waning here) so I’m now in my room.

I’ve had dinner, gotten up and even seen a physical therapist for a little walking and moving to and from the bed, the bathroom and a chair. I can easily lift and move my left leg but I’m a bit unsteady when I walk (never fear, my trusty walker is with me). PT was happy, though, and didn’t push me so that‘s all good. I feel some burning and tightness in my new knee but it’s manageable. It feels like I have a bit more pain than I remember having in my right knee, proving what you all say - EVERY KNEE IS DIFFERENT. It’s ice, ice, ice all the time along with a very relaxing compression machine. I’m just so glad to have the surgery behind me!

I become a bit of a babbler when on drugs so I will spare you all that and go annoy some of the people who have to listen to me (aka family). Good night to all, especially my February surgery sisters, @jaspa and @FourCats
 
Last edited:
Congrats on the new knee!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
​
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
​

6. Access these pages on the website
​



The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Congrats on your new knee! It sounds as if things are going well for you.
 
Thanks for the information @lovetocookandsew. Could you change the title of thIs discussion to “CamGram’s Second (and Hopefully Last) TKR Recovery Now Underway”. TIA.

After trying to fall asleep - without success - I’m going to document some differences I’m already noticing between my first and second TKRs.

1. I have had more pain, even with the nerve block in effect, with #2. After two Percocets, the pain is still a constant 3 or 4. It’s not bad; it’s just present. The pain does, however, quickly increase if I move or put weight on my left leg. With my first surgery, I had no pain at all until the nerve block wore off;

2. When I am on my back with my legs outstretched, my left foot naturally points at the ceiling. My right foot still doesn’t want to do this so I prop pillows around it to encourage it to do so; and

3. Since there is more pain this time, I was not able to “show off” a 100 degree flex the morning after surgery. Not doing that is bound to be good - no ODIC bench for me!

Later …

I started this last night in the hospital when I couldn’t sleep. Shortly after that, things got busy with OT, PT and other pre-release activities. So I am now picking up this post from home - after a very satisfying and long nap! My pain is actually better since being on oxy for 24+ hours. Overall, things are going very well!

Other than some other (minor) issues, so far this recovery is much like my previous one. The big difference in healing will be that I have learned to stay ahead of the pain by taking oxy on a regular schedule rather than “as needed”. Guess you can teach an old dog some new tricks! Now I’m off to set alarms for my overnight meds and to once-again sleep in my own home. Thanks for all your support!
 
Title changed. I hope you don’t mind that it was shortened just a bit so that it would stay all on one line. :flwrysmile:

I’m glad you are doing well! Best wishes!
 
I’m so glad to see this post, and that you are home & doing well. Now time for lots of rest & healing.
[
 
Good news that you are feeling better!
 
Thanks @Jockette for the new title (I am quite a chatterbox while on drugs so special thanks for the editing).

I had a strange start to my morning … after a really good night’s sleep I started feeling queasy, jittery and lightheaded. I talked to the on-call nurse at my OS‘s office and she thought I had not been eating or drinking enough, especially considering that I have been taking 10 mg of oxy every four hours. Since I am not hungry or even thirsty, that made a lot of sense (why didn’t I figure that out by myself???). After forcing down water and crackers, I felt better and went back to sleep for a couple hours. I ate some soup when I woke up later and then fell asleep again.

Clearly, the biggest difference between my TKRs is that I have no problem sleeping with #2! I spent almost four weeks getting only minimal sleep with #1, so I am thrilled that I can sleep so well this time. My pain is also down so much that I often find myself getting up and walking without my cane. My greatest challenge seems to be eating and drinking enough and that should be easily remedied!

Thanks for all your support.
 
I’m so happy to see this post, & that you are doing well. The medications can really mess with your appetite, & food tasting good. The opioids really had a strong effect on me, made me pass out, not pleasant. And Tramadol made me nauseated & lose my appetite. The anti nausea really helped, I was just too bull-headed & took far too long to ask for it. I did find that it helped if I found anything that really sounded & tasted good. We had a lot of Lean Cuisine Mac’ cheese & broccoli those first few weeks, and my husband’s wonderful scrambled eggs & hot cereal. That all tasted good to me, so we went with it. And, the occasional Wendy’s Jr bacon cheeseburger... that just tasted So good! ( still does, we get one on our way home from Dr visits ). Do be sure someone is nearby when you get up as long as you are taking the pain meds regularly. I’m just so glad to hear you are doing well. Be sure & Rest! I learned to fall in love with naps during that time. Take care.
 
It's so interesting to see the similarities and differences between two joints on the same person! It sounds like you are coping quite well. congrats on your second new knee!
 
It is very easy to get dehydrated. I kept bottled water or green tea next to me all the time. I didn't want food but found mixed nuts and dark chocolate were my staples for a while. I also drank protein drinks at least 3 times a day. My pain meds dried me out so I was always thirsty. Besides, all this fluid kept me going to the bathroom. That's PT!
 
Day 5 Update …

Went to PT for the first time today (just for general assessment.) My (long-time) therapist measured for swelling and looked at my ability to bend and straighten but didn’t touch my knee/leg or push me at all. She asked if I wanted to try rocking back and forth on the recumbent bike at a high position but then I surprised both of us by actually going around full circle without pain.

The swelling is moderate but my bruising is fairly mild so far. I’m currently taking 5 mg of oxy every 4 hours but will probably cut back to 5 mg every 6 hours starting tomorrow. I am amazed at how quickly I am progressing with this knee but I am being very careful not to do too much. I am sleeping well and my appetite has already returned so I have no complaints at all! (I also know how unusual this is and how fortunate I am.) BoneSmart is certainly correct: No two recoveries are alike!
 
Day 7 Update …

I had my second (gentle)) PT session today and things are going wonderfully well. My extension is almost 0 and my flexion measured 110. My therapist mentioned how much better my swelling looks with TKR #2 and I’m convinced that using the Lounge Doctor when I ice is responsible for the improvement. I’ve been able to ice and elevate all night this time around and I am already seeing the difference this makes. Everything is better this time around - balance, appetite, sleep - and I am so grateful!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom