TKR Second (and hopefully last) TKR Recovery Underway

I‘m now four months post-RTKR and doing pretty well. I don’t feel that my extension and flexion are all they could/should be, but I’m sure I’ll get there eventually. I have some minimal discomfort at times but it seldom feels like what I would call pain.

My focus now is my next surgery - a LTKR scheduled for February 16th. (@FourCats, I’ll be following in your footsteps!) As of today, my local hospital is sending knee replacement patients home on the day of surgery (I’m sure the hospital is experiencing staff shortages due to Omicron). My hubby is somewhat nervous about that but if it enables me to get the surgery on the 16th, it’s okay with me. I just don’t want any delay in getting my new knee!

It’s a lot easier to plan for this surgery since I know what I will need. I already have a MLD massage scheduled for the 15th (to me, the most important pre-surgical event!) and have cooked and frozen a few meals and have set up all my appointments for medical visits and lab work.

It will be interesting to see how similar this experience is to my previous one.

@CamGram , I went home same day with two of my replacements, much prefer it to staying in hospital. Since you've had a replacement you know what to expect, how to ice and elevate and most importantly medicate. You'll be fine, hubby may have to do a little more in the early days but hopefully that's not a problem.

@CamGram Congrats on your surgery date! I had my second replacement 8 months after my first, so I can relate to your excitement of just getting it behind you!
I did notice that my 8 month old knee decided to rebel a bit after my new knee arrived! I chalk that up to it having to do most of the work after being babies for so long!!
I am now 8 weeks out, and they are both doing better!

Thanks @MARYCOOL, I love hearing success stories. I expect my right knee will regress a little when I ask it to take on more work. But it will be worth it to get rid of the bone-on-bone pain in my left knee.

Now to cross my fingers and hope my surgery isn’t canceled due to Omicron!

My second TKR is now less than three weeks away. Meals are cooked and frozen and my Lounge Doctor arrived today. I previously used a wedge that was tremendously painful to use (especially behind the knee) and I had no desire to experience that discomfort again! The LD is much more comfortable than my first wedge. (By signing up for emails, I received a code for 10% off and I was able to use that when I ordered through the Bonesmart website.)

I am wondering about something … the flexion in my new knee is still much less than that of my old one (even though my old knee is very painful). I can do everything I want to do but my right knee just will not bend as much as my left. Do new knees ever attain the flexion we had previously or are there limitations as to how much a prosthetic joint can bend?

Yes, your knee will bend more as you continue to heal. At approximately 4 months post op you are 1/3 healed, in this year long recovery. My ROM also continued to improve well into my second year, and even a bit more in my third year post op.

Kim, thanks so much for this link! I don’t have much room left in my freezer (you are INCREDIBLY fortunate to have so much freezer space) but I am going to incorporate your fantastic suggestions in the future. Once my knees have both been replaced, I plan to spend less time in the kitchen and more out living a newly pain-free life!

you are INCREDIBLY fortunate to have so much freezer space
I agree, it is a blessing to have an abundance of freezer space. We just recently gave away our two older upright freezers, and replaced them with two new large upright freezers that are very energy efficient and made for using in the garage. Because it's so hot here in the summer, and the freezers we had were getting old, and weren't highly insulated like new ones, we noticed one of them was running almost all the time, and the other was running a lot. We gave them away to a young couple with four children, letting them know they aren't energy efficient, etc, but they were okay with that and grateful to have two large upright freezers for free. So, we have the two new uprights, plus a large freezer drawer in our kitchen fridge, plus we have the side-by-side that came with the house, but keep in the garage.

My second (left) TKR is scheduled for Wednesday, February 16th and I have been busy with the standard pre-op activities. My medical clearance finally came through so there is very little left to do - an MLD massage, Covid test, pre-op visit to the hospital, etc. (With my right TKR the lab work discovered an undiagnosed UTI that required antibiotics before surgery could be performed. I’m glad I didn’t have to go through that again!) There will also be last-minute cooking, shopping and cleaning to keep me from obsessing too much about what’s coming.

My left knee has become increasingly painful as it has taken on much of the responsibility of recovery and I will be truly glad to see the last of it. With my right TKR, I planned a trip (by car) for 10 weeks after surgery. That proved a little overly-optimistic on my part (although the trip was still wonderful). I’m now planning a trip (by plane) for 5 months after surgery. Even though I’ll still be recovering, I hope that the absence of bone-on-bone arthritis will make that possible.

Now I just have to keep my husband calm so he doesn’t drive me - or my doctors - crazy!

Good luck. I sent a specific pre-surgery meditation link to a friend prepping for surgery tomorrow. Maybe you and your husband can watch together.

You made me smile, @hawk2go, picturing my husband meditating! He’s an retired military officer/Type A/control freak whose idea of relaxation is planning for possible disasters. Any meditation in our family is done solely by me.

I’ve been listening to meditations as I go to sleep and I have a long, relaxing massage scheduled for the day before my TKR, so I should be ready for surgery. I just hope my new, diva knee is willing to step up and do her part!

Only five more days until surgery! Unfortunately, my body has gone diva on me and I’m struggling with some new (and some old) pain. I expected my left knee to bother me (and it is) but that’s not all I’m feeling. I tossed and turned Wednesday night and woke up on Thursday with an extremely achy right thigh and an excruciating pain in my right upper glute area. My thigh continues to ache but feels temporarily better when I apply heat. The literal “pain in the butt” didn’t let up until I had taken ES Tylenol and applied heat off and on for several hours. I’ve also gone back to laying/sleeping on my back because I seem to trigger a similar pain when I try to lay on my side. My original glute pain is largely gone now but I haven’t felt anything like that since I had a kidney stone several years ago!

My question is - does anyone know what could have caused this because I sure want to avoid going through that glute pain again! Could I be walking, sitting, or even sleeping awkwardly enough - because of the pain in my (old/original) left knee - to create intense glute pain on the opposite side?

I can certainly live with the (moderate) thigh pain but I am curious. Does it sound like an ITB or ODIC issue? Or is this just more standard post-TKR pain? I had similar pain immediately after surgery (due to epic bruising, the tourniquet, etc) but I thought I was past that at five months. Any suggestions on how treat that kind of pain during the days leading up to surgery?

I’m a little concerned because I know there will be post-TKR pain in my left knee/leg and I was hoping to be able to rely on having a largely pain free right leg. I guess SNL’s Roseanne Roseannadanna was right “it’s always something“!

I can't guess as to the reason for your new pain, but I'm sorry you're having to deal with it on top of everything else. Your surgery date is fast approaching-let's hope the pain is related to your knee issue and is therefore resolved by a (soon-ish to be) pain-free new knee!

Thanks, Kim! How’s your recovery coming along?

This will be my last night with a painful, arthritic left knee and I am so ready to get it taken out. I had a wonderful MLD massage this afternoon and it left me so relaxed that I didn’t even think about tomorrow’s surgery for a few hours. My Covid test came back negative so I’ve now cleared my last hurdle. Here’s hoping I can get some sleep tonight!

You’re ready to roll! You’ll soon be on the bright side beginning your healing journey.
All the best to you tomorrow. I hope you catch a few winks tonight. :)
@CamGram

Praying for a successful surgery for you and your knee!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member