THR Scorow's Recovery Thread

Aching and swelling is possibly from doing too much too soon. There isn't much progress to be made from anything more than the healing in the first weeks. Walking was all the PT I did and increased slowly as I healed.
 
At two weeks I was not doing any exercises, still plenty of icing. Enough walking to go do the essential things, but I do not think I started planned periods of walking for 5 minutes or longer, until sometime after the 2nd week.

I believe a good deal of the swelling had to go down before I could do sustained walking for 5 minutes or longer.

PT worked with me on essentials, such as practicing small stairs, adjusting cane heights for at home canes, advising me to just wear non-slip socks since I was toeing in when I walked, no slippers or shoes. She watched my gate and guided me. Muscles would spasm at night and were in no mood for any exercises until the spasms got better.

I did ankle pumps and anything that was simple enough to do in bed, per my surgeon's instructions.

Also, I learned my muscles on the side of my surgery were not yet firing. I was using a cane, as instructed by my OS, by day ten, and I started to list and fall to the surgery side. A desk is what saved me as I caught it. Back to the walker.

Although the majority of my log leg swelling was gone by day 6 or seven, I think what initially served me well was my tilt recliner. I could sleep with my legs slightly elevated above my head.

When that was not enough I used the Lounge Doctor, a large foam leg elevator, in my bed, during the day and continued to ice. I also had water with me at all times, and drank as much as I could.

I believe just before week 3 enough swelling had left my leg, that I could bend it enough, to switch from the glider bench in the tub to just a small handicap bench in the tub. My PT guided me and made sure I was able to safely make this transition, with the right steps.

Everyone is different and it is a very fine line, between too much activity and pain. Increased pain meant to me, I did too much, and I did much less the next day, to calm it down. Ice, ice, ice!

It is a slow slog at first. Gradually, very gradually, it gets better, then better, then much better. :yahoo: Then no more icing!
 
Well, I certainly have more swelling and pain in week two than I did in the first week. I've been awakened with pain 3 times this week (none last week).

I'm assuming it must be because I'm more active, but I am really keeping it conservative. I waived off any PT and have limited walks the past three days. Still icing and elevating. I'm wondering if spending more time seated in a chair (which feels fine at the time) is partly a culprit?

My two-week appt is this Thursday, so I'll get some measure as to where I am then. I really have no concerns that anything is "wrong." I'm just a bit surprised and disappointed that the last several days have been more challenging than expected.
 
Good Morning,
Thankfully you’re not concerned that anything is wrong because the odds are in your favor that all is well. I’m guessing your current discomfort is in relation to the healing process of which you’re only days into, or directly related to some type of over activity. I would continue to ice and elevate in an effort to eliminate pain and swelling and make use of OTC pain relievers as your pain dictates. It’s definitely a personal choice but PT really isn’t necessary at this point. Walking is the recommended form of exercise, but not to excess. I relied on the Activity Progression for THR to keep myself in check in the early weeks. Check it out below and see what you think -


Try not to be disappointed, you’re going to be okay.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day!
@scorow
 
Thanks, Layla. Have waived off any PT (which was minimal anyway) since last week. Just feeling like I've lost a lot of ground, as I didn't have this much pain in the first 10 days. Laying low, icing even more, and having to step up the Tylenol/Advil, but still pretty uncomfortable. I was lucky early, I guess. Definitely feel like I'm paying my dues now.
 
Just feeling like I've lost a lot of ground, as I didn't have this much pain in the first 10 days.

I am so sorry to hear this.

Laying low, icing even more, and having to step up the Tylenol/Advil, but still pretty uncomfortable.

Good idea. I limited myself to 5 minute walks with the walker around the house, if I was able to do that.

I tried to listen to my body and avoid what made it hurt. I just figured it needed more time to heal and gently get stronger.

We are all different and recover at different rates. You will get there.
 
The ups and downs of this recovery dance can sure make you go "huh???":scratch:
I think you are on the fourth squiggle on the recovery chart. :) :-) (:

I hope today is a better day...sending healing vibes your way @scorow
 
Just a bump in the road, @scorow. I had that happen to me in my third week and it's frustrating!

Glad to know you will be seeing your OS tomorrow. That will be reassuring, I'm sure.
Hopefully you are elevating and controlling the pain/discomfort.
I would elevate and practice some deep breathing to help possibly move some of that swelling.

It's easy to do and will help pass the time, if nothing else. I will copy and paste the info below:
It's something that you can do several times a day.. it's not a one time fix. Your body is producing the swelling and for now we can't stop that, we just want it to keep moving to our kidneys and then flushing it away!



**********
If you want to do something extra to help move the swelling, try some deep, diaphragmatic breathing while laying on your back with your legs elevated. All of the edema and lymph fluid needs to go back to the trunk of your body to get processed and eventually pass (urine). Deep breaths early on can make a big difference.
This helped me a lot with both hips I tried to do it 2-3 times a day, especially at bedtime.
Remember that phrase " go with the flow"? Well that's what you want :heehee:
I still had swelling- my hip this time was apparently producing quite a bit- but after a few days of doing this it started responding well to the breathing exercises. I remember one day in particular, I propped up my legs with extra pillows, got nice and comfy in bed and did the breathing with hand compressions, drifted off to sleep and awakened to a much better looking leg, what a relief.
The hand compressions are easy too. Just place one of your hands flat on top of your naval area and press firmly down and upwards towards your diaphragm as you completely breath out.
 
Good Morning @scorow
Happy Wednesday to you! I noticed you’re logged on and CricketHip isn’t currently. I’m assuming she’s at work and may be on the forum later on today. Wondering if the following is what you’re referencing? It’s a more detailed explanation that’s she’s often posted for members. Here you go...

This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain -

While laying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval. Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Let us know if you were referencing a different exercise and CH can address it when she is online next.

A great day to you!
 
Yes, that's it! Thank you, Layla.

I just met with the PT - no exercising, but she helped analyze my activity over the past couple of days and I think we have a good working theory as to why I've had a bit of a rough spot with swelling and pain.

I've never had much pain at all, so although I've been consciously conservative with walking distances and the like, there are some things that I've been doing without much thought (due to no pain) that maybe are an issue. Primarily, I guess I'm not really supposed to be using the hip flexor much duirng these early stages (today is my 2-week anniversary). But I've been going up and down the stairs multiple times a day in a "normal" fashion, i.e., stepping up with the recovering leg as well as the "good" leg. Pretty major use of the hip flexor. I have also been spending more time seated (as in seated at a desk) which is a position that restricts the flow in the lymphatic system. Put these things together and it probably is a recipe for increased swelling and the pain that goes along with it.

Whether that is some/all/or none of the cause of my last few days, it is logical and I am happy to have something to work on.

The one thing that I wish received more emphasis by the OS's: We spend our lives - especially if we are athletic - gauging the limits of activity by the pain/discomfort level during the activity. And my OS's instructions similarly say to exercise only up to the point of mild discomfort, but stop before it causes pain. Well, that guidance is really not helpful at all, at least to me. Perhaps because of the anterior approach, my prior fitness level, or just luck, I haven't had pain or discomfort during activities. So I can't really use that as a gauge. Trying to look back at the day before and isolate what it was that pushed you over the edge is very difficult. I guess it amounts to trial and error, albeit with a delayed effect.
 
You’re welcome...we aim to please. :)

The conclusion you and PT arrived at does sound logical. I hope it‘s put any disappointment you were feeling to rest. I do remember that I was not going up and down the stairs adult style, as opposed to toddler style, as early on as you've been. I can see where doing so is temporarily stalling your progress due to pain / discomfort. Given that knowledge, I’ll bet you’ll soon be back to where you were now that you’re curtailing that somewhat.

You‘re right that there is trial and error involved in recovery. What works for one, does not for another. It can feel frustrating, but with a slow measured approach, adding activity as your body seems to tolerate it is your best bet in these early weeks. I think you’re doing well and you seem to have the patience that is so necessary to this recovery. Hang in there, Summer 2020 should be great!
@scorow
 
The one thing that I wish received more emphasis by the OS's: We spend our lives - especially if we are athletic - gauging the limits of activity by the pain/discomfort level during the activity. And my OS's instructions similarly say to exercise only up to the point of mild discomfort, but stop before it causes pain. Well, that guidance is really not helpful at all, at least to me. Perhaps because of the anterior approach, my prior fitness level, or just luck, I haven't had pain or discomfort during activities. So I can't really use that as a gauge. Trying to look back at the day before and isolate what it was that pushed you over the edge is very difficult. I guess it amounts to trial and error, albeit with a delayed effect.

I definitely can't go to the point of discomfort without paying a BIG price the next day @scorow . Most of my overdoing it didn't cause any pain or discomfort at the time, but the next day was a whole different story. Two weeks in is when I felt so much better that I did too much. Just take it slow and easy for a while, it's hard to stay patient when you start feeling better but it pays off if you do.
 
Hope things settle soon but remember..We don't have to be in a hurry.
I toddler stepped stairs for the first maybe two and a half months. . not because I had to, but because it was easier and why not?
I just had my hips replaced...and the time spent giving it the time it needed was well spent.
I agree the OSs often don't have cookie cutter instructions....
Just because we can...doesn't mean we should...that advice helped me to take things slow and steady and realize these hopefully forever hips will thank me for the patience.
Hope you have a peaceful evening, friend.
You will get there!
 
I know for probably the first month or so if I wasn't up doing anything that I was usually stretched out on the couch elevating and icing. My way of keeping the pain away, proactively. I had almost no bruising which is amazing as if I look at a door knob cross eyed I bruise! :heehee: And I had very minimal swelling. I didn't have a recliner like a lot of the folks so the couch was my go to. If I say up for too long it was uncomfortable so I figured why fight it! :rotfl:
 
Just had my two-week appointment and xrays and everything looks great. The PA confirmed that my recent swelling and pain were undoubtedly due to my doing too much, and said that it is a very common problem with the anterior approach - patients feel so good that they over do it.

Basically, ODIC membership confirmed.

I'll be even more vigilant about that going forward, and glad to have the good feedback on how I'm doing.
 
Happy Thursday....Great news on your post op visit!
I‘m sorry you’re in the ODIC. Most of us experience either a drive thru, pit stop, or extended stay there. Sadly, it’s the way we learn our limitations. I’m happy that you at least know the reason for your pain / discomfort and are already working on the remedy.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief. :)
@scorow
 
Day 18 - The hip seems to have finally calmed down from earlier in the week, so generally much better. I'm taking it real easy.

I have noticed elevated pain when I first got up the last two mornings, but I think it may be caused by inadvertently rolling over and sleeping some on the surgical side. Not doing it intentionally (though it is my preferred sleeping position) - I think it happens unconsciously while asleep and doesn't hurt enough at the time to wake me up. It's that "delayed pain" phenomenon again.

I've been trying to "block" that from happening with pillows. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer until sleeping on that side does not irritate the recovering hip.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom