THR Scorow's Recovery Thread

Happy Saturday! @scorow
It‘s good to read your pain has eased with rest and taking it easy.

I didn’t lay on my side for a couple months, but mainly out of fear that it would hurt. Back sleeping isn’t my natural choice but I got used to it. Possibly you could roll up a blanket, or something similar, to put underneath the pillows you’re using so you don’t roll creating more of an elevated situation making it impossible to roll up / over on?
Sorry...my best suggestion, possibly others will have better ideas. I’m leaving an article on side sleeping from the BoneSmart Library in case you haven’t read it yet.
Enjoy the weekend!
 
My husband has become very jealous of my “boyfriend” pillow. :heehee: I got a body pillow because I struggled to get comfortable with a bank of pillows or they moved and then I was not following my precautions. Body pillow to the rescue! It supported and kept from rotating in, my whole surgical leg (with a single pillow for my foot) when I was on my opposite side. After a bit I could lay on surgical side and the pillow cushioned the weight of non-surgical leg so I could get in just the right position for comfort. Sorry, hubby. You’re terrific in every other way, but a pillow, not so much.:rotfl: ❤️
 
I agree! @Hip4life
Body pillows are the best! I was a pillow hoarder in my recovery. Kind of still am :heehee: Super comforting in my opinion. I purchased my body pillow for recovery and don't plan on ever sleeping without one again. At almost three yrs old, mine could be replaced as it’s flattened considerably. Since it’s inexpensive anyway I need to put that on my list for my next Target run. Nice to read of someone else as obsessed with one as I am.
 
Well, I got the $10 body pillow from Target (thanks for the tip, Layla!) and it did make it a little easier to "block" rolling onto the surgical side. Still tweaked it a little overnight, but nothing like the prior couple of nights. Much better.

I'm still a bit suprised at the pain modest walking (a couple of blocks?) brings about. Icing and Tylenol/Advil knocks it right down, but the same walk wouldn't cause that reaction in week 2. I keep trying to "figure out" this recovery path, and it seems neither linear nor logical.

But I am finding that taking it easier than I think I need to (per the advice received here) is better.
 
You’re welcome for the tip and I’m happy the body pillow made it a bit more difficult for you to accidentally roll onto your incision. If you have any extra bed or throw pillows, you could try placing a couple lined up under the body pillow simulating a wall of sorts. Its hard to roll up a hill, lol.

I think you’ll really appreciate the body pillow going forward. Side sleeping is my preferred position also and I fall asleep on my op side every night. At 5’6 I find the pillow is generous enough that it runs the majority of my leg length when placed mainly in between my legs from knees to ankles, with still enough length to spare that I can wrap an arm around it.
To me, it’s definitely worth the comfort it provides.

I keep trying to "figure out" this recovery path, and it seems neither linear nor logical.

It’s likely you’ll never figure it out and while puzzling it seems to be the way it goes for most all of us. I know you received this before but’s it’s a good reminder of the reality of THR recovery. I think you’re doing great. Just keep doing what you’re doing.:)
Wishing you a comfy peaceful evening!

[Bonesmart.org] Scorow's Recovery Thread

@scorow
 
Today marks three weeks: Happy to report that I have noticed significant improvement over the last several days. Those who said that it is common to see real improvement in week 3 were spot on in my case (I know that its not the same for everyone). No more swelling and not even enough pain to need Tylenol unless I forget what I'm doing and draw my leg up too far putting on shoes. Resumed working part time this week (office job) with no difficulty.

I'm sure that some of it is because I have been more diligent in not overdoing anything. I'm still limiting walking distance and can tell that I still have more recovery to go. And sleep is still a challenge, as I can't sleep on the surgical side. But it is sure good to at least see an early glimmer of the light at end of the tunnel.
 
So glad to read about your "glimmer of light" in that dark tunnel!
I still remember those moments.. waking up and taking some steps and feeling improvement. :happydance:

Keep taking it easier and enjoy many more of those moments. :walking:
 
Happy Three Weeks....a day late!
Every week counts, right? At least at this stage you like seeing them click on by. No more swelling or pain sounds wonderful. You’re doing great and I’m happy for you! :happydance:

I hope you’re able to rest and take it easy after work for several more weeks. It may make you feel more tired depending upon your activity level. You seem very sensible and measured in your recovery approach and it’s served you well. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

A great Thursday and weekend to you!
@scorow
 
Wonderful that you are seeing the light. Now comes the time you really want to make sure you do not overdo as you start feeling better and better. Continue your measured pace and you will soon not even remember that you had hip surgery.
 
How common is it to experience pain only at night while in bed? I'm just about 4 weeks in (tomorrow makes 4 weeks post-surgery). Walking is pain free and I need nothing for pain during the day. Only "tweaks" during the day come if I do something like bend over really excessively to put on shoes or socks - basically, because I am so pain-free I forget that there are things that I am not quite ready for yet.

But many nights I am awakened with hip pain. Not terrible pain, but enough to be uncomfortable and wake me up. My supposition is that I am moving around more at night - including probably sleeping some on the surgical side - and that I am unconsciously tweaking the hip. The broken sleep is pretty annoying. "Blocking" with pillows, etc., doesn't seem to help much. Taking Tylenol before bed maybe delays the onset by a few hours.

I'm not especially "worried" about this, but the broken sleep is annoying and I wondered if this is common. Thanks for any thoughts or comments.
 
Broken sleep is extremely common in recovery even into a few months for me and yes it is very annoying. I have a theory that during the day as we walk we do not notice some of the lesser zings that occur but in bed where we are trying to sleep it is more obvious. For myself, I took a slow release Tylenol Arthritis which lasts about 8 hours. I realize most people just take regular Tylenol but this is what I had from pre op and it worked for me.
 
For me this was/is very common and equally annoying.

How common is it to experience pain only at night while in bed?
[/QUOTE

Sometimes I will get up and try to walk around a little, do light stretches, and try to get back to sleep.

Sometimes I switch to my recliner and see if that helps.

Sometimes I ice.

Sometimes I use a heating pad if it is in my back.

Overall I can tell I am going in the right direction, and I hope you are, too.
 
:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
I‘m sorry you‘re dealing with broken sleep. It IS common. I’m sure it will ease over the next several weeks. Wishing you some restorative rest even if it’s only through naps. :sleep:
Be safe, stay healthy!
@scorow
 
Echoing the sentiments above...I experienced the same.
Also, it seemed that as my activity increased...it never seemed to hurt until I stopped.
Important reminder to keep things slow and steady.
Hope your weekend is sweet, @scorow
 
Thanks, Mojo. I appreciate your comments as I an awaken every morning from my hip rather than my alarm clock. I think it happens just as Tylenol wears off. It may well be that some of it is the increased daily activity being felt at night. You guys are good to remind folks that the healing process lasts for months, because it sometimes seems like one is closer to the finish line than they actually are.
 
It's been a while since I've posted. I'm at 7 weeks now. Six week visit with the surgeon was fine, no issues noted. In fact, he dispensed with scheduling a 3-month appt (probably in part due to current conditions) and just told me that I would be clear for all activity after that date. Next appt in 10 months.

I do continue to have pain at night, seemingly not connected to daily activity as much as to the position of laying in bed (as opposed to sitting or standing). Not sure what to make of that, and surgeon really didn't have much of a response when I mentioned it. I would be interested in thoughts or comments about that. I don't have pain walking or sitting.

Also, I feel a bit at loose ends as to how to proceed in this phase. Doc said to walk a mile day, which I do with no issues. And I know walking is the main thing. But I don't know that it addresses range of motion and doesn't seem to be strengthing the hip flexors much. I still couldn't begin to do a single leg lift if my life depended on it. I wonder if others receive exercises or anything else in addition to walking once they reach this (6+ weeks) point.

Thanks for your thoughts. As always, I'm very appreciative of guidance from those that have walked before me (no pun intended).

Scott
 
I know you are tired of reading this on threads ( I am assuming) but you are still very early in your recovery. I am surprised at the 1 mile a day, frankly. Some can do that 1 mile easily but others, myself included with my most recent THR, definitely could not.
It's common to have some groin pain and limited ROM, at this stage also.
Walking is great for strengthening your leg and hip, but if it is too much for your leg and hip, then it will become an irritant to the soft tissue. Which I might add, was traumatized extensively during the THR surgery.

I did get exercises, my OS offered an app that I accessed online. Truthfully, some of the exercises weren't good for me and I never tried them. Others, were great but some days I did 3 reps, certainly not 10 or more.
Most of the exercises irritated my hip flexors. just doing my regular activities of daily living plus walking when it felt good to do so, plus practicing the "heel toe walk" did more for me than anything else.

Please try not to worry, You actually sound like you are right on track with your progress and your OS seems to think so too!. That has to be a good feeling, right?

Glad to see your update, it's very interesting to read each other's progression.

@scorow
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom