THR Scorow's Recovery Thread

Day 6: Pretty good day. Sleep still a challenge, but two days in a row of feeling a bit better in the morning than the day before. Mobility a bit easier - tightness reduced a bit and took a short walk outside (down the driveway and about 2 houses down the street). Had second session with in-home PT and happy that she tends to go slow and conservative rather than pushing.

Have one new issue - periodically have a pretty intense burning pain from upper thigh down towards knee towards the outside of the leg. Comes and goes and only while moving. I'm pretty sure this is the nerve pain that my OS specifically said I may feel, as there is some specific nerve that is apparently disturbed during the anterior approach. PT agrees and says it's pretty common. She also said most of her patients seem to have their early "worst day(s)" around Days 3-5, and that seems to fit my experience. My Day 4 was pretty bad, and by comparison, the past two have been much better.

As so many of you have told me, the trick seems to be to focus on the big picture so that you can recognize the overall improvement. Continued thanks for the comments and words of support. Family and friends are helpful, but not the same as those who have walked this path.
 
My Day 4 was pretty bad, and by comparison, the past two have been much better.
Glad to hear days 5 and 6 were much better than day 4. You are almost at one week!

Sleep is a challenge. Mine happened in 1 1/2 hour segments pretty much the first week. So much icing to do, changing ice, and keeping track of medications.

Second week was slightly better. things became more routine. Third week was much better.
 
You're doing good, taking it day by day right now, not pushing it. There are definitely some interesting aches and pains that pop up throughout recovery. Just about the time you get used to one it disappears and a new one takes its place.
 
You're doing well. Most of those annoying pains, sensations and the minor discomfort we experience is usually short lived. By the time you figure out one pain, or lose concern over it, another crops up. I remember it well and finally you just start ignoring them. I'd only be concerned if something increases in intensity or frequency.

You're one week post op already tomorrow! :happydance: I loved when those early weeks clicked on by. You're going to feel stronger, more mobile and hopefully better rested with each passing week. Take it slow and concentrate on the great Summer you'll have. :SUNsmile: Happy Tuesday!
@scorow
 
Day 7: What a difference a week makes. Sleep is still sketchy, but energy level and mobility are much improved. I have to remind myself to stick to the protocol (icing, rest, etc.) because my body is not demanding it like it was before. Pain is zero at rest and minimal when moving, controlled by Tylenol and Advil (at a reduced level from the starting dosage). I am able to walk without aid and negotiate the stairs in the house without difficulty. The PT exercises are reasonable and do not result in any pain or swelling afterwards. The upper thigh does remain significantly "tighter" than the other leg, but I'm sure not complaining.

I know that everyone's recovery is different, and I likely face some ups and downs going forward as walking distance, etc., increase. But I am very pleased and consider myself fortunate with how far I have come in a week. It is really amazing considering the trauma that was inflicted a week ago tomorrow morning.
 
Amazing it is! :yes: You're doing so well! :yay:

This is when you have to be diligent not to overdo. No trips to the ODIC, or even a quick drive thru.
I've read the ratings. All bad...no fun to be had there. :wink:
So Behave:xmark:
@scorow
 
Have one new issue - periodically have a pretty intense burning pain from upper thigh down towards knee towards the outside of the leg. Comes and goes and only while moving.
Yep...This searing pain cropped up on me when I began to be more mobile and I took to the forum in a panic...:bawl:Thank goodness for the assurance I received from those who had been there, done that. :yes:

You are doing just fine ...slow and steady is the best way to make progress
Hope today is a good day.:tada:
 
Day 7: What a difference a week makes. Sleep is still sketchy, but energy level and mobility are much improved. I have to remind myself to stick to the protocol (icing, rest, etc.) because my body is not demanding it like it was before.

Very glad to hear this! :yahoo:
 
Sleep is the one thing that is hard to get during recovery or at least it was for me. Don't forget to nap whenever you can.
 
Day 8: Still trending in a good way. Sleep remains a major challenge mostly because I can't sleep on the surgical side. But I seem to be getting a decent amount of sleep overall, probably because I tend to fall asleep during several of my icing sessions during the day. (I am using an icing recovery machine called "GameReady," which I previously used after hip arthroscopy and really like.)

I am seeing some amazing constellations of color all around the dressing covering the surgical site as the result of internal bruising and blood dissipation. I had as much or more of the same after hip arthroscopy and I think it is actually a good thing as it seems to coincide with the slow reduction of the swelling and tightness in the area of the surgery.

Pain is still virtually a non-issue. I really think that I could go without any meds other than the aspirin for clot prevention, but for the time being (until my 2-week visit), I'm sticking with the Tylenol/Advil protocol the OS recommended. I have been fortunate to have never needed any of the narcotic meds since leaving the hospital.

I've been able the last several days to go up and down stairs without aids and including stepping with the surgical leg without discomfort. Walks are getting a little longer, though that will continue to be a slow progression because of the tightness I feel in the general area of the incision. It is loosening, but very slowly. Pushing that tight area too far would seem a really bad idea, so I'm trying to be careful. Home PT adds a few exercises each visit but so far they have not been problematic. I know that my PT has deferred some exercises on my OS's list until next week based on her experience that the muscles need more time to heel before adding those, and I am happy that we are on the same page. From all of the advice that I've received and read on here in other's recovery threads, I much prefer to let my body define the "what" and "when" of next steps rather that plow through a list of things and find out (by pain) that I'm not ready for some.
 
I'd say you're doing awesome in many ways!

From all of the advice that I've received and read on here in other's recovery threads, I much prefer to let my body define the "what" and "when" of next steps rather that plow through a list of things and find out (by pain) that I'm not ready for some.

You're wise. Your slow measured approach will pay off. Isn't it amazing when you think about the progress you've made in a mere 8 days? I love it!
@scorow
 
Day 9: Maybe a slight taste of the edge between making progress and doing too much. The surgical area seemed a bit tighter and a bit more "sensitive" (for lack of a better word) this morning. The PT added a couple of new exercises yesterday and I walked a bit further than the previous day, so I'm thinking I may be feeling that. Or maybe I accidentally moved the wrong way a bit trying to find sleep last night. It's not to the level of needing to adjust pain meds, but since it was noticeable in the morning, I'll take it as a sign to be very careful going forward and try not to add too much too soon.
 
Day 10: Had some noticeable swelling last night and this morning. Really the first time to have much swelling, and it did go down with icing and elevation. Everything I've read says to expect some swelling as activity increases, so I'm not sure whether it's just normal stuff or maybe a sign that I pushed it a little too much yesterday. Anyway, I cut back on the amount of walking today and have spent a bit more time icing and elevated. Just trying to figure it out.
 
That's how we do it...good for you for listening to your body and staying chilled :ice:
Leaving you My favorite recovery chart...
[Bonesmart.org] Scorow's Recovery Thread
 
Another day with swelling and the resulting aching. Icing and elevation relieves, but I'm a bit perplexed about how to proceed.

My OS's instructions focus on pain. If one feels mild pain after activity that is relieved by icing, that's OK because there will be some mild pain as one increases walking and other activity. So is the swelling OK so long as it can be reduced (though not eliminated) by icing? I don't want to do too much, but I also don't want to not make progress either.

My two week appt is this week and I'll discuss then, but appreciate any thoughts or shared experience trying to find that balance between moving forward but not doing too much.
 
It's a fine line. Whenever it hurts more the next day than it did the day before I go to minimum activity for a day. That's how today went because I did too much yesterday and felt it this morning.

I can't help much with the swelling aspect. At two weeks I was still swollen enough that I was wearing sweats most of the time and the side of my leg felt tight around the incision. It's still a little tight but gets better all the time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom