Guest viewing is limited

TKR Schpooko's Recovery

You should have much better results with the Tylenol.
 
Post Op Day 27 and I did it. I went 2 1/2 hours in the car to the college with my son and husband. I got the whole back seat to myself. I iced and elevated on the way. We stopped at the half way point to walk and dust the cob webs off the knee and got there without a hitch. We parked in the handicap spot and I walked in with my cane and son to get the wheelchair my son he reserved.

We took a complete tour of the whole campus. I did some walking inside the school (the sidewalks were a bit uneven around the school so I did not want any mishaps) it was fine. Today is the first full day I have been out since the surgery and I must say I am pooped. But it felt great.

My son loved the school and we went to lunch after. I iced and elevated part of the way home and that was again another 2 1/2 hours and in all I must say, I feel good.

The leg is a slight bit swollen but not overly so. And the knee felt fine. Tuesday is the doctor and I am going to talk to him about driving in a week or so and start off little by little. I am still not sure about PT... I would hate to get this far and go there to have a setback. Believe me I can say no but ????? There are just so many horror stories about PT I would hate for something to go wrong.

I do need to build up more strength in my legs to do more walking. I do need the confidence of the cane. I feel naked without it. Its like a security blanket when you are outside. Well, that is my update

I hope this post find all of you doing well and coming along in your recoveries...
 
Glad you made it ok . That sounds like a big journey.
Yesterday I did a similar trip to take my Dad to look at a care home. He was in the same hospital when I had my knee done would you believe. We feel he now needs more care. It’s local so I didn’t have your journey but did get pushed around in a wheel chair! Did some walking though and went for a small shop with my daughter afterwards.

Today knee a bit sore and I have painful and swollen ankle so elevating and icing.Hey ho

Just hope Dad decides it’s the right thing for him.Its all very emotional and not something I want to deal with at the moment but needs must.
Can’t wait for 4 weeks hopefully things will improve from then.
 
What a fantastic day you had! You'll probably need to rest for the next couple of days to recoup some of that energy you spent! Enjoy your rest!
 
I’m glad all went well with your trip. This recovery is all about listening to your body and adapting activity to your new knee like using a wheel chair when there’s something you HAVE to do.

You’re still early in recovery to worry about leg strength. Try following the Activity progression for TKRs as that will help with how much walking is acceptable at different stages of recovery.
 
I'm so glad you were able to go on your trip. That's such an important step in your son's journey in life. Get some rest and hope your Dr appt goes well.
 
Josephine do you know when it is safe to have a cortisone shot in my other knee or hand for trigger finger?
I'm not sure there is an 'unsafe' period for having flu or cortisone shots. If there is, I've never heard of it!
 
Week 4.... Saw OS Tuesday, 10/30 and everything is good. He wanted to know when I will start PT which I said I will start on Monday. I guess I will give it a whirl and if it does not go according to plan (my plan that is) I will not go back. I have been there before and they did seem to listen the last time when I said I did not want to do something that I thought would hurt so let's see if this is still the case.

Maybe someone can answer me a question. Why do I always feel like a drug addict when I pick of the phone as ask for my tramadol. They only give me 5 days worth at a time. Which leaves me to have to call it in before it is due especially on the weekend. And now I called it in and they said I need to go to the office for a script. I was just there. They have called it in before. The doctor even said to start weaning off the meds. This is ridiculous. When I asked the question before surgery he said they only prescribe meds for 90 days. I am only 4 weeks into this journey with starting Out Patient PT on Monday. I am taking 1000 mgs of tylenol 4X a day and 800 mg a day and i still need something for this.

I did not take the harder drugs because they did not agree with me. But really this is stupid that I should be made to feel this way. I was going to start taking 100 mgs. of tramadol 3X a day starting Monday to start to wean off.

I do have a really bad left knee I am working with. Can anyone recommend me any advice?

Well, I am doing ok. I am doing more and more each day. By night time I am a bit sore and achy and I do ice each day at least 5X for 40 mins. each. and elevate. I am just upset about this med thing. Oh well...

I hope this finds all of you doing well in your recoveries... Schpooko
 
Sorry schpooko. I'm not having problems getting refills, but so many are. That has to be frustrating. I don't have any advice, but I'm thinking of you :console2:
 
Yes schpooko very hard for you when you need it for a good recovery. Here in the uk I rang my GP to say I needed tramadol cus the codeine sends me loopy. He just said you know it’s one of the drugs we have to be careful about ?
I said yes I’d had it with my first knee but managed it fine . Now I order it online from the surgery and so far no probs just pick it up at the local chemists.
All these different systems!
 
@Newboots Yes, here in the US we have gotten to the point where they are so strict. I know all about the opiod problem but there are people out there that really need the medication especially after surgery and they have such a problem getting it. I did hear back from the OS and they are calling it in. So, no worries til the next time I need it :tantrum2:


@beachy Thanks for writing back You are lucky this is the way for you but look what happened to you with meds. I am glad your OS's office is no problem. Keep up the good work I have been keeping up with your posts and you are doing great...:yahoo:
 
Have you seen Geckos Halloween costume? It’s in a pre op thread. She wore it to the hospital LOL. It will put a smile on your face :)
 
Hi, all I will be 5 weeks out on Monday. Where did the time go? I am going out for my first drive tomorrow just around the community to see how it feels. I would really like that freedom back.

My knee and leg are still pretty stiff when I get out of bed in the a.m. but I really don't have too much swelling going on. It does swell in the afternoon a bit but I do ice and elevate. I still have to feel more confident going down the stairs. It's my own insecurity that hinders me. Well, practice makes perfect and Hubby and I will continue to practice daily staring this week.

All in all, things are moving along slowly and just taking it one step at a time LOL!!!

Take care, Schpooko
 
Driving. Wow! What is that? LOL Keep us posted since its your right leg.
It does seem to be moving slowly, but that's what I was told pre op. Now it seems like a snail's pace.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and stair practice.
 
I tried to order Oxycodone over my normal home page site with Kaiser, where it was listed as refillable. I didn't realize that they can't mail this. Well, fine, I got a message that they would contact my Dr. and he would fill the prescription. Like you schpooko they sent me home with less than a week's worth. Anyway after two more days I got my neighbor to drive me thirtyminutes to the nearest Kaiser pharmacy. They hadn't heard a word from anyone. Now I was down to meds for that day and night and one left for the morning. And the weekend was coming up. There was no way to reach my doctor from the pharmacy. So my neighbor wasted his morning and I was nearly without meds and worried about three days without Oxycodone one week out from my surgery. So I started emailing and calling. And that's when I felt like a drug addict. I was desperate but you know what pain is like at night at this stage of recovery. At 5:30 that evening I got an email saying the prescription had been okayed. So I got another friend to drive me out the next morning and all was well.

There has to be a better way. They know that less than a week's worth of Oxycodone isn't enough. And we can't drive. Come on.

Now I'll email my doctor direct several days in advance--which again will make me feel like a drug addict! "He seems to be running through this stuff pretty quick!" When actually I'm taking much less than I might.
 
Last edited:
@schpooko .... I see that you saw your surgeon again on Friday. Can you tell me if you have started the Scar Shield test period?
 
Dang seeing all these problems with getting refills makes me appreciate my OS even more. It's so ridiculous that a few bad apples ruin it for everyone else who really need them.
 
@schpooko ... I need to know the date you started using it. Did you take a "before" photo? If not, take a photo now and we'll go from here. There was some written material included in the box we sent that explained the test procedures. Did you have a chance to go over it? You might want to review the application instructions and how to take and send me photos of your progress. There is also a schedule sheet for the applications so you can keep track and know what day photos are needed. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have questions. I look forward to seeing your incision and the progress as you use the Scar Shield.
 
@schpooko .... Are you doing okay? I haven't received any photos from you. If you didn't take a "before" photo on November 4th when you started the Scar Shield, we're going to need to just cancel you out of the test. Please let me know if you have any photos for me. I'm leaving Wednesday and will be gone until the end of the month. Please tag me when you post so I'll see it tomorrow (Tuesday).
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom