Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

Day 115

I have been walking around with out the cane now and it feels ok. My pt told me that she noticed I put too much weight on the cane and it throws off my gait and she is right. I really got used to my cane the last 3 years and even use it in crowds shopping so people don't run me over. I already noticed a few people rushing past me bumping into me without my cane, so might have to use it when out around (rude:scare:) people. My extension is still 7 to 8 so that's bad. It had been 0 and 3 but that was on my bed when they measured. When the pt sat on the pool ground and showed me how to do extension and push down on the knee, I told her she had a LOT of room under her knee, about 4 fingers width, same as mine! She tried to push her knee down and couldn't. I then said maybe they were expecting too much from us and it may be normal if her knee is like that.
So hmm. :loll:
 
My knee hasn't been at zero for years so I'm expecting it's going to take me longer to get there. You're doing well being able to go without the cane. That's another good step forward. You're doing well.
 
When the pt sat on the pool ground and showed me how to do extension and push down on the knee, I told her she had a LOT of room under her knee, about 4 fingers width, same as mine! She tried to push her knee down and couldn't. I then said maybe they were expecting too much from us and it may be normal if her knee is like that.
I am so glad you pointed that out to her! It just goes to show you that even pts aren't perfect! As we have heard so many times, each knee is different!
 
Day 122 - 4 months - Week 19

Last day of swim PT yesterday. Improved ROM just a bit, now 95 and 98, extension is 5 on both knees. I walked over 800 feet in 6 minutes unaided. My timed test improved from 12 to 8 seconds, which was a test timing getting up walking to a point, turning around, going back and sitting down again. The PT wasn't happy with the ROM but overall thought it was pretty good.

The PT made a point of saying that because of the "Gentle" comment by the doctor she didn't "grind down" and that I should ask the doctor to let them. Ha! That's not going to happen. The swim PT was surprisingly hard work. I will continue pedaling and walking, massaging the knee and scar tissue. Adding leg lifts. Need to do that to counter my rapid weight loss and loose skin!

No pain when sitting anymore.
I still have pain when getting up from a chair, and the first 10 steps. After that it's pretty good for a bit.
Sleeping much better, using a small pillow on my knees on my side.
Can vacuum finally. It was so hard to push but ok now.
Can cook daily, and clean, oh joy huh?
Going up and down the steps daily of my split level home. Though I am usually carrying things so it's not the normal foot over foot when going down, up is much better when I am not carrying things.
Can walk without cane from car to store, but it makes me nervous
Not gardening, probably wont be this year.
Can sit and sew for a bit at the machine, which helps so I can take in my clothes.
Walked out to my dock in the lake, about 500 feet of uneven terrain and docks carrying my chair and umbrella. Love that!
[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
 
@KayeKaye - You are coming along wonderfully!! I love the picture...looks like a very relaxing place!!
I also still have quite a bit of pain when standing and walking the first several feet.
We're getting there!!! :friends:
 
You are doing well. What a beautiful place to live. Enjoy the warmth this summer. You are still moving forward in your recovery.
 
What a good report, @KayeKaye ! :yes!::yay::happydance::spin::dancy:

You've done so well and you still have plenty of time to improve even more.
 
Day 143, 5 months, week 22

With my husband having hip surgery I feel like I am slowing down. I have to do a lot of walking, and shopping on my own and I get so tired. My calves hurt from so much work. Of course he wants me to keep working and getting better but I am exhausted ha ha. He is fast overtaking me in the healing process as predicted.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been on here much lately with taking care of my husband and his hip surgery. We have both come to a point where we are just exhausted and don't feel like we have progressed. We had a death in the family recently and that has set us back.

My knees have tightened up and I find walking a bit hard. Have to focus on walking correctly, knees bent, lift knee, heel strike first and push off on toes. Very hard, I find I want to walk on my toes like a little kid.

I have developed a new pain in my left knee to hip. I have to stretch out to get rid of it. It usually comes when I wake up in the morning. I hope it's a pinched nerve and not a hip problem. Yikes.
 
It might be with the activity of caring for your husband and so on, the knees are feeling it a bit. Stretching sounds good in general.
 
Day 194. Week 30

Just starting PT in earnest, following my exercises at home daily and it tires me greatly but doesn't hurt too much. Knees have remained stiff but I think ROM has improved slightly if I can believe my home made ROM measure, about 110 now. Hoping some stretching and such will limber up my knees. My Achilles' tendon on the left foot has kicked up and is very sore for the last few weeks which impedes my gait when walking I find I need to keep my leg straight or it hurts the back of my leg near my foot.

I never made it to my three month check up. With my husband home and his hip healing and the sudden loss of his father we have had our plate full. Though I will try to get an appointment soon and have them look at my left leg situation as well now that my husband is back at work part time.
 
Have tried using a recumbent bike to get ROM? I found it helped with bend and to loosen up my knee a great deal.
 
Hi Kaye!!
Was literally just thinking about posting here for some support. I generally check the site every few days to a week for remote comfort and read interesting postings.
Sounds like you've been having a rough time with helping your husband recover as well. You just started some PT? Are you able to take walks for any distance?
I have what I believe is nerve damage/compression in my right leg. It aches all the way from my hip into my foot. No amount of stretching seems to help even though it feels as if it should. Often interferes with sleep which is shaky to begin with. Behind the kneecap really be sharp and achey.
Also have the achilles pain which requires stretching, sometimes in both legs.
Don't think my ROM is any better than 120.

Still waiting for the day when I can say, "Wow, I'm so glad I had this done!!"
I bet you are too....or maybe you already do.
Nancy
 
@KarriB i have a pedal machine that sits on the floor but not a recumbent. I have been able to do full rounds with that from the start but it doesn't seem to help much with advancing ROM for me.

Hi @Anchovy i went through 3 rounds of pt, first in the rehab, then in home with pt trainer, then swim pt. so this is 4 and its just me trying to make it part of my daily life at home. I kind of let it go after swim pt and things really tightened up a lot. Just three days now and it feels a bit better already. Though with my Achilles on left leg acting up its a trade off. Not taking any walks except from the road to the end of the dock, about 500 feet. Again the tendon is not cooperating for walks.

Your 120 ROM sounds great, I am long way from that. Have you seen an MD for that nerve pain? I had an ulnar nerve that was pinched in the elbow joint from an operation that had that same kind of pain and tingling. It actually slipped into the joint and caused so much pain that they reopened and moved it. Still took ten years to settle down. Don't know if that is anything to consider or not. My left leg had a "sciatic" type numbing and pain from the hip down to toes last month but it did respond to exercise just recently, sorry yours isn't.

I do wish things would fall into place and find a normalcy again. Still waiting.
 
Well this may be a good time to do some PT. Your knee isn't sore or angry. I was doing pt at months 4 through 5 and found it helpful. They may have a recumbent bike and some other machines to help you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
Just thought I would post a picture of the scars, looking pretty good. I can even paint my toenails now, haven't done that in a long time.

(I should add disregard the freckle patch on left knee, it has nothing to do with knee ills. I remember getting that patch of freckles in third grade one day at school. It was sweltering heat and I thought I would die when I looked down and saw those freckles. Weirdest thing.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom