THR Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2

Update--

I had a minor increase in pain without the Tramadol last night, but not enough to merit taking it. I almost said "not enough to keep me awake," but I'm pretty sure I'm nocturnal now so I was already awake... So I'm free from Tramadol unless the pain swings back!

On another note, I made baklava today!!!!! It's been 2 years! Wish I could give you all some. A pic will have to do.
[Bonesmart.org] Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2
[Bonesmart.org] Schaargi Hip #2 Nov. 2
 
Hi all! I'm at 6 weeks tomorrow and will post the 6-week update then.

In the meantime, holy cow. In the past I've had mild restless leg syndrome on and off all my life.

In the past week or so, it has suddenly migrated to my arms. Ugh! It's so annoying. The more you relax, the more it flares up. Luckily, I haven't punched my husband accidentally with the sudden twitches. He sleeps really soundly.

:dancy:This is how I feel when I'm trying to sleep, but not with the smiley face.

I don't expect anyone to solve this for me; I just needed to share with someone. I'm taking magnesium and following other advice but am not on medication because it doesn't usually stay. Thanks for listening.!
 
Six weeks, and I'm really happy with my progress. I did have a bit of a meltdown at PT last week because I asked when I might be able to ice skate (I was a skater growing up) and she wasn't optimistic because of the risk of falling.

My restrictions come off today and although I am not going crazy with new movements, I'm just relieved. I have been worried about accidentally doing something forbidden. Whew! I still worry all the time about slipping or falling and need to figure out a way to gain confidence. While am happy with my progress, I'm nowhere near where I need to be for the long term.

I'm now doing a "long" 30-minute walk every day that is somewhere between a mile and 1.3 miles. I'm keeping up with my 89-year-old mom on those walks, but she goes on to do her 10,000 steps per day. Not me. :heehee:

I can tie my shoes and pick things up off the floor. Getting up from the floor is not graceful or completely comfortable, but that will take a while.

I ditched the cane for most situations. If I'm going to be away from my comfort zone I will bring it with me. I can walk 30 minutes without it!

I can easily climb a flight of stairs but can tell I'm weak, on both sides. My second THR (righty) has started surpassing the first one in strength. I really can't believe I'm able to go one foot over the other. Amazing.

The incision looks good. Still nipping and some numbness. Oddly, I've noticed the left one doing the same lately. Maybe I hadn't noticed before. :shrug:

At PT, I've played with walking forward, backward and side to side. Last time, she set down some itty bitty hurdles that I easily stepped over.

I'm still taking Tylenol twice a day, but will taper in the next week or so. Pain is minimal right now, just tight and pulling. I'm not going to push it-- the ROM should get better, fingers crossed.

My restless legs and arms were a little better last night. I'm wondering if it is exacerbates by my worry, worry, worry over restrictions and such.

Soooo, I am amazed at how well this particular recovery is going!

Again, thanks everyone for being here! Love you guys!
 
Wow! That is incredible! I am so happy for you! A little jealous of your Mom, lol. Sounds like she is really fit!

Totally understand, about the fear of falling. This time of the year doesn’t help either, although I’m still happy, it’s winter and not summer. That you can tie your shoelaces and get up off the floor, is amazing to me! I’m more afraid of those 2 things, than falling!

After everything, you went through with your first hip, this recovery is such a blessing and the best Christmas gift ever :)
 
Thanks, @Bodie’sMom!

I gotta tell you, getting up off the floor is not a pretty sight. I would be way too embarrassed to do that at the gym or other public place. I look like a toddler, rolling into position and then putting my butt up in the air first before walking my hands back and maybe grabbing onto a nearby chair. :rotfl:

Thanks for the good wishes!!!
 
Happy to read about your good progress! It actually took me a long time to climb 7 1/2 inch steps leg over leg, although 6 inch steps were much easier. This may have been due to my small height of 61”.
I still hold the handrail whether I really need it or not. Your mom sounds amazing! Happy holidays and best wishes for continued healing and pain free times!
 
Important announcement:

I wanted to let you know that I realized I had the WRONG AGE listed in my profile! Totally my fault -- I am the one who edits my own profile.:blush:

So, for anyone who has been thinking that I am 58 years old for the past 6 months or so, I want you to know that I am 57.

57

For another month.
 
I have a little milestone I reached today (almost 7 weeks).

I changed out the bedding today (fitted sheet included) without pain or struggle! I didn't even realize what I had done until it was finished and thought, "Hey, that was pretty easy and didn't hurt a bit." :yes!:
 
I am officially at 7 weeks now!

I'm continually gaining strength and mobility in my new hip. My physical therapist says it's exactly where it should be right now. I'm going to start going to PT every 2 weeks (instead of 1) so I can do my exercises at home and then she can assess and adjust from there.

I'm taking Tylenol at night and am getting closer to sleeping decently. I don't have much pain at all, although I am being conservative in my movements. I'm released from restrictions but don't want to injure myself, which is also becoming an issue because I am still quite hesitant.

When my PT measured my strength and ROM, it was apparent that my new hip has already passed up the 1.5-year-old hip in both areas. Not a surprise, as that leg went through a lot and my subsequent injury put the brakes on rehab.

I'm still so, so scared that I will not get back to an acceptable level of activity. I estimate I'm at about 30% of where I want to be. I know I'm in early days with this hip, but between the other hip having trouble and my fear of injury, I'm not as optimistic as I wish I could be.
 
:hi: @Schaargi
It took me up to 4 months before I stopped analyzing every new niggle and twinge as either a permanent consequence of surgery or worrying that I was doing something wrong in recovery.
Not to mention fleeting scenarios...what if's, if you will.
What if I fall when it is slippery and raining.... what if I have a wreck!?

I certainly understand, given your first hip struggles, how you feel.

Time will be the greatest healer....even for the anxiety of uncertainty.
7 weeks is Indeed early days of Recovery.
Try to Keep the Faith and not let those anxious thoughts in the back of your mind dwell there too long.
Things are going to get much better if you stay slow and steady.

Hope your Holidays are Happy:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Schaargi
It sounds as though your most recent surgery and recovery are going really well - and that there's lots to support optimism that this latest hip replacement will not follow the pattern of your previous experience. And yet, of course, that previous experience informs your subjective experience - it's so understandable that it would. My hope is that you can minimize the anxiety and stay hopeful, especially given that this new hip seems to be on its own journey, independent of the other one! Wishing you the best.
 
Hi @Schaargi...sounds like you are doing great!

Since your PT says you're exactly where you should be and everything is going so well, maybe that can help counter the inevitable worries and pessimism--I'm very familiar with those nasty thoughts (probably everyone on this forum is) and how hard it is not to feed them. Even now, when I'm so much farther along and a lot closer to where I want to be, which would be back to spending a full day hiking in the mountains.

We will get there, I know we will.

Best wishes to you!
 
8-week update (almost 2 months!)

My newest hip continues to improve, and I am continually surprised at what I find myself doing. Today, I went to the library and actually passed up some people who were walking slowly. Seriously, that hasn't happened in 2 years. And I could pivot to go around them without breaking my stride. I am definitely feeling more agile. I still can't take a long stride, and I haven't tried skipping, hopping, doing mini jumping jacks, or jogging even a few steps. I can march, though!

Christmas was rough in terms of stress, but my hips were great! The past two years, I have been unable to move very fast, which doesn't seem like a big deal until you have 14 guests aged 6-89 and 2 dogs. Moving quickly this year enabled me to reach the dropped chocolate candy before the dog grabbed it and to step to the side before my nephew ran into me. I could also help a lot with the preparations and cleanup, which helps my sanity.

The strides (ha ha ha) I have made with my newest hip have really magnified the issues still lingering with my 18-month-old hip. My 8-week scar is shrinking and looks and feels better than the other one. They both have niggly pain periodically.

My ROM is already better; I am experimenting a little with the yoga poses that were bothering me on the other side. The newest hip is fine (I'm just dipping my toe in so far). And I can sit criss-cross-applesauce to do my breathing and mindfulness. Getting up off the floor is still embarrassing in front of others.

I pointed out the lopsidedness (I know this isn't a word) to my physical therapist. Before, with the other hip, she thought my discomfort was because I had reached the implant's end of range. Now, the 18-month implant's range has gotten worse, and the new one is absolutely fine with those particular movements. I think she is rethinking it and might be able to help. My 18-month-old leg is almost constantly sore so now I can start paying more attention to it.

I can easily navigate stairs, although my stamina is pathetic. It will come. I can walk 1.5 miles, even with moderate hills. I haven't pushed the length of the walks, mostly because of how busy I've been with the holidays and the fact that the weather has gotten bitterly windy and cold recently. Yeah, I'm being a wimp.

Along with wimpy stamina, all my muscles also feel weak. It will take time to build back strength, especially since I had so much trouble with my first THR. I hope it will get better. Actually, I hope I will get much better. I am still scared that I won't get back to an acceptable level, and I'm also very afraid of falling. Patience, patience, patience. Ugh.

I dropped the Tylenol at night. It was fine. I am OK when I have the pillow between my legs but I tend to throw it off the bed in my sleep (I think I get hot) and my hip doesn't like it and wakes me up. It's not enough of a concern to start taking it regularly again.

All in all, I'm still making progress and that's good. Hope everyone is doing well. Now I'm off to do my home exercises. :dancy:
 
The past two years, I have been unable to move very fast, which doesn't seem like a big deal until you have 14 guests aged 6-89 and 2 dogs.
That's the best line ending I've read in a long time ... didn't expect the "6-89 and 2 dogs."

Glad to hear you are steadily making progress.
 
Wonderful update! Glad to read that your PT will rethink things with the other hip..

I remember well the first time that I could do certain things and it was so uplifting!! Glad you are getting to experience this, too.
 
I haven't tried skipping, hopping, doing mini jumping jacks,

I haven’t either…4 1/2 yrs post op. :heehee: Mainly because I left that behind years ago, lol.
Didn’t really feel a need to sit cross legged on the floor either and only tried it after someone posted a picture of herself doing so at one of BoneSmarts New Years Eve Parties. I took it as a challenge and passed.:wink: I do understand why it’s important to you as something that goes along with the Yoga you practice

I have shared here and you may have read, that my surgeon’s PA reminded me very early on that our prosthetic hip will never match our natural hip, but it gets pretty close. New activity, can replace old activity that’s become difficult and sometimes a plain old aging body can get in the way of what we’d like to do. I was complaining to my mom once about something I could no longer do with ease and she reminded me that I can do things she can’t do, just as my daughter can do things I can’t and my granddaughter things her mom can’t. Simple sounding, but it’s true. A former member once mentioned that if he was 90% better than he was pre-op, he’d be happy. I agree, I’ll take it, I’ll take it! :happydance:

Your recovery is going well and thankfully much more quickly than your last. Enjoy!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom