Revision TKR Scared about surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a good Christmas, with my son and his family.
My granddaughters were anything but quiet!

Best wishes for December 31st - a new knee for a new year. Let's hope this will be the start of something better for your knee.
 
@Celle
I would bet under no circumstances would you trade your granddaughters in!! They my be trying can get on your nerves drive you nuts but I am sure that you love them unconditionally. I have a son 23 who is doing well grad. from college served in Benin W. Africa with Peace Corps only lasted a year due to Covid now he found a job working in DC. My daughter 26 has a form of Autism and yes it can be very trying!! but she is still my daughter and I love them both equally.

Well here we are Sunday, Thursday is 4 days away. Sometime between Monday and Wednesday I will be getting the call on what time I have to be at the hospital on Thursday. I can pretty much guess with confidence sleep is going to be non existent Wed. night. As you may have guessed from reading my posts besides my complaining now that its getting really close getting nervous as well. Its kind of silly being nervous the reason being unlike countless others who have never been thru this I am pretty much well versed as to what to expect after surgery, once I get home, how its going to feel ( not good !! ), recovery time etc. One thing I will do different this time I will be in charge of therapy, no more going for broke causing increase pain and swelling. Its not going to be fun regardless why make it worse.
 
I would bet under no circumstances would you trade your granddaughters in!! They my be trying can get on your nerves drive you nuts but I am sure that you love them unconditionally.
You bet! I love them to bits.
One thing I will do different this time I will be in charge of therapy, no more going for broke causing increase pain and swelling. Its not going to be fun regardless why make it worse.
I'm glad to hear that.

Remember, it's not lots of exercise that gets your knee its recovery and ROM - it's time to heal and for swelling to go down, plus just a little bit of gentle movement.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Smart choice, you won't regret it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Took Covid test this morning should get result by tomorrow before noon. Did get a call and found out surgery is scheduled for 12pm on Thursday!! I was also told it may change someone is coming from out of town and does not want to have their surgery first thing in morning, personally I would rather have it first thing later in the day there is always the chance an emergency could cause the surgery to be delayed.
 
Hope you get your wish for an earlier surgery on Thursday. :fingersx:
Sounds like everything is falling in to place.
 
Alright!! 24 hours from now ( 11:56am here ) I will be at the hospital more than likely waiting in the waiting room to get ready for surgery. From what I was told surgery scheduled for 2:30 odds are it will be approx. 6pm by the time they wheel me up to my room. While there is no eating or drinking after midnight I am allowed to have clear liquids and THANK GOD " COFFEE " is allowed so life will only be but so bad prior to surgery. Another plus based on the time it will be too late in the day for Therapy to come by and get me on my feet. The first walk while very short is brutal!!
Being antsy I have done everything I can think of to make home ready for once I get home. I maybe nervous on what the outcome of this one will be really hope no more knee surgeries for awhile??? but now I am after waiting 2 months ready to get this done. As far as what to expect yes the month of January is going to stink the pain will be either bad or real bad but given time it will decrease I just hope by June knee will be up for a long drive 11hours. We have a cottage in the 1000 Islands area of NY. but time will tell.
 
Many of us out here do feel your pain and really empathize. Know that we are all pulling for you!
 
I think the last 24 hours is the hardest waiting time. I hope it passes quickly for you and that your surgery goes well tomorrow.

I'll be looking out for you.
 
The last bit of wait is the toughest, glad this is finally happening for you. :flwrysmile:
Glad that first walk will be the next day, giving you and your new knee a chance to rest from surgery.
We are all behind you for a successful outcome.
 
All the best tomorrow! We are with you all the way. See you on the other side soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle @Pumpkln
Okay guys hopefully last 24 will just drag as in slow motion!! Even better I would bet money the odds of getting a decent nights sleep are just about nonexistent!!
Cannot speak for anyone but myself coming from a German family patience has never been one of my virtues, granted gained more with son and daughter but still nothing to brag about.
Just kidding about the slow motion and really appreciate the encouragement. It would be great if time would fly by but as it stands at least for me seems to going in reverse.
Well I have waited 2 months 1 day is not going to hurt.
 
All the best tomorrow! We are with you all the way. See you on the other side soon.
Just think instead of me complaining on the pre-op side next week it will be on the recovery side. Only real difference with me I am well aware how its going to feel the first week or two is not going to be fun. The 2nd month will be better but this is not something that gets better quick. My hope by next Christmas may still be in some pain ( 4 or 5 ) but at least stability will be improved less swelling and maybe for once no more real issues?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stay positive and don't assume the worst! And don't think too far ahead. You've got this!
 
On a brighter note you are invited to the virtual New Years Party here on BoneSmart starting tomorrow, you can even bring a virtual treat (please no hospital food).

Here is a link to the forum were the party will be held. Community Room
Hope to feel well enough to stop by and say Hi.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I would like that I am one of the few that do not have or want a cell phone. If I was working ( used to be an electrician prior to knee problems ) I could justify having one being on disability do not need added expense and really going back prior to when cell phone became everyones life blood people did manage.
What kind of shape do you think I will be in at midnight tomorrow?? Hopefully all doped up and in never never land!! I will be absent from the forum from a little after 10am till when I get home from hospital my guess Sunday or Monday??
 
Stay positive and don't assume the worst! And don't think too far ahead. You've got this!
Do not have it quite yet but odds are once surgery is done boy will I have it pain pain and more pain!!!!!!!!!! On the positive side will probably be feeling pretty good considering the pain meds I will be on.
To be truthful I was not assuming the worst really, after having been thru all the knee surgeries the odds of ever being pain free at best are slim ( been told that by several surgeons ) so if my pain level after a year is between a 4 or 5 I will gladly take it. When you average a 6 for months on end a 4 or 5 is welcome. Maybe I am wrong but if not I am still okay with it.
 
Sorry you are going to miss the party, wishing you a Happy New Year and a positive start to 2021.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom