Revision TKR Scared about surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
it should be slushy, the rubbing alcohol keeps it from freezing solid.
You want it soft enough to conform to your knee.
 
@Pumpkln
That is what I thought so based on the 2 I made ideally instead of 2 cups of alcohol 1.5 cups along with 8 cups of water gives the best result.
Just wanted to let you know by reducing exercises by half as we discussed earlier did help. Yes it still hurt but not nearly as bad. I was tempted to take a pain pill once I go home from PT yesterday but managed to do with out. While it hurts a 6 is better then a 7 pain scale wise.
 
Go figure cold cloudy day in Virginia very light snow no measurable amount and my POS of knee is acting up. End of month cannot get here soon enough!!
 
@Pumpkln
I am well aware there are others with knee issues some worse some better and while I feel sorry for those dealing with a bum knee it still does not help with how mine feels. It drives me nuts knowing I have done nothing to aggravate the knee and yet its acting like I over did it. I have already iced it twice took one pain pill thinking of taking a second. Sent a message to my pain Dr. to see if I can get another script for maybe 5 of the 10mg Oxycodone only because while I have 28 pills left of the 5mg the way the knee feels if I continue to have days like today may not have enough. Its really frustrating I am so sick of this whole thing. While I have been thru this numerous times it still stinks since I know almost exactly what to expect from waking up in the recovery room forward. Yes it hurts now!! but its going to hurt even worse going into Jan. and Feb. maybe I should be optimistic thinking this time it will be different but who am I kidding look at my history. A best case would be a stable knee decreased pain and swelling. If I can get a stable knee and even a slight reduction in pain great. Sorry today is just not a good one for me.
 
Yes it hurts now!! but its going to hurt even worse going into Jan. and Feb. maybe I should be optimistic thinking this time it will be different but who am I kidding look at my history.
It just might be better this time. Try to think that this surgery might be the one that finally fixes your knee and gives you a better result.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle or @Pumpkln ??
Meeting with surgeon and pre-op went well. The surgeon explained that the tibia part can stay in place but taking the femoral part out is going to be difficult. The femoral has a longer then normal implant plus it appears according to the XRAY solidly in place ( something to the effect bone has grown to implant?? ) and because of that may have to split the bone?? in order to get implant out and due to number of surgeries I have had possibly bone graft. He had a term for this and I forgot any ideas??
 
Glad you had a good pre op visit with your surgeon.

I have had possibly bone Graff.
He may mean you are going to have an autograft from another site on your body?
He may mean you are going to have an allograft from donor?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You have to excuse my typing it stinks even more so when thinking. He said depending on the bone loss he may have to use a bone graff?? That is fine I would pretty much expect that all I was wondering is the term he used for I think he was referring to splitting the femoral in order to get the femoral side of implant out?? Really do not care what he does as long as the end result there is some improvement with the knee hopefully!!
 
and due to number of surgeries I have had possibly bone graft. He had a term for this and I forgot any ideas??
Allograft? Donor bone.
Allograft bone transplant involves bone that has no living cells so that the risk of rejection is minimal Since the transplanted bone doesn't contain living marrow, there is no need to match blood types between the donor and the recipient. The allograft acts as a sort of scaffold for your own bone to grow into and around.

Your surgeon had to explain the potential problems, such as having trouble removing the femoral component and splitting your bone. That may well not happen, and things could go more smoothly, with no problems.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle
Your correct it may not happen but as he was explaining he was also looking at the XRAYS and pointed it out. Not concerned about the bone graft ( for some dumb reason spell check wanted Graff ?? ).
In some ways you can think that any given process whether its a surgery or its trouble shooting anything is going go a certain way but once the actual surgery or troubleshooting starts could turn out differently then once thought.
Really was just trying to figure out the term he used when describing how he may have to take the implant out of femoral side. Not worried about the surgery was also told they will both an epidural as well as a nerve block, my only request do not care what they use as long as I am out thru the course of surgery.
 
Your surgeon will use whatever approach seems most relevant at the time of surgery. It may well be that once he starts your surgery, he finds that something different would work better.

It's obvious that he's giving it plenty of thought and I think you can leave the decision and technicalities to him - he's the trained expert.

I know it's hard, because this revision is the biggest thing on your mind, but do try not to over-think it.

I have a date for my shoulder replacement now and I do find myself thinking things like "How will I manage to dress myself with one arm in a sling for 6 weeks?" It all does seem to consume my thoughts, if I don't make myself think about something entirely different, so I have a lot of sympathy for your thoughts as well.

It's so easy to think about your surgery all the time, but try to give yourself some "time off" now and then. Is there something you'd like to do before surgery? Can you give yourself a treat, talk to an old friend, find some new novels to read?
 
@Celle
Yes I am thinking about this and really if you were in my shoes odds are you would be too. As far as the surgery itself my surgeon will do his best no matter what he finds. All I was trying to find out was info on the transfemoral approach. Never heard of that before just curious.
 
Its one thing to get ramped up anxious etc. when it comes to a major surgery and really the more you stress the more ramped up you get agreed?? To alleviate you try and keep your self occupied in my case taking care of my aquariums ( I have 18 raising freshwater angelfish in some of them ), watching movies even better with pretty awesome hometheater ( in my opinion my system sounds better then movie theater plus if I want a beer not a problem ), reading another option lots of alternatives. Now my problem its very hard for me to stay focused on any of the above when knee is driving me nuts today!!!!!!!
Had PT this morning did not over do it really mostly stretching did the Nu-Step for 6 minutes prior to the stretching. Did quick grocery shopping needed a few items lastly had to get some leaves up ( approx 30 minutes ) and put away garden hoses for winter did everything including leaves <60minutes.
So for the past 5 to 6 hours iced the knee twice ( approx. an hour plus each time ) took 1 pain pill and had to take another because of how it feels. Putting it bluntly it hurts and it hurts a bunch. The worst I will give my pain at home is a 7 anything higher I would have to be in the hospital. Today is a 7 its bad enough nothing is taking my mind off of it which in turn is stressing me out even more thinking about upcoming replacement and how its going to feel during recovery.
What a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
I hope your gardening is over for the winter.
Feeling anxious and stressed before surgery is normal, it is a big deal to have a major knee surgery.
 
Had PT this morning did not over do it really mostly stretching did the Nu-Step for 6 minutes prior to the stretching.
I don't think it would hurt if you stopped the PT, especially the Nu-Step. Your knee is getting plenty of exercise in your other activities.
To alleviate you try and keep your self occupied in my case taking care of my aquariums ( I have 18 raising freshwater angelfish in some of them ),
Our son kept fish for many years (just one aquarium, though.
We once made the mistake of putting a dozen neon tetras in the same tank as an angel fish. The angel fish had eaten them all by morning. :bignono:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At least you know the pain after surgery will eventually get better, whilst the pain you are experiencing now without the surgery only gets worse. I would rest your knee maybe it's hurting more from all the extra activities you are doing trying to avert your mind from your forthcoming surgery. I recently have taken up a new hobby painting with numbers, I get so engrossed that I hardly think of my knees, just remember to move around occasionally or even do a large complicated puzzel.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle
Too bad we are on opposite sides of the globe I could and would enjoy showing and explaining the right way to have an aquarium!! From what you wrote previously your son now has a GF so his interests have changed. At least for me I have been in aquarium hobby for 50 years. When the knee is being a royal PIA!! at least I can go look at my tanks ( it has a calming effect ).
Well yesterday pain stunk could have been partially my fault could also be a cold front moving in. Dumb as it sounds it makes sense at least for me. Today done nothing knee is still being very resentful towards me UGH!! and going by the weather today is going to be nice mid 60's tomorrow mid 40's.
Anyone interested in doing a trade?? I would gladly except someone elses bad knee and they could have mine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom