Revision TKR Scared about surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Celle @Pumpkln others??
Does anyone know what's involved with Femoral episiotomy in relation to Knee replacement??
It does not bother me one way or another on what surgeon has to do during procedure just wondering what is involved. The reason for asking rcv'd a reply from surgeon and this is the term he used to describe what he had to do to remove femoral component.
 
As far as I know, it's the deliberate and controlled making of a longitudinal split in the femur, to aid in the extraction of a press-fit femoral component of the knee replacement.
 
I have nothing to add to Celle's answer.
Sounds like your surgeon is doing everything he can for a positive outcome.
 
@Celle @Pumpkln
First off thanks to both!! Pretty much confirms what I found along with adding a level of difficulty. If the surgeon ends up having to go this route its going to mean added length in OR which ( hopefully not?? ) may mean longer stay in hospital as well as longer recovery.
I really hope that if this what takes place in OR that fingers crossed at some point ( by next Christmas?? ) I can say it was all worth it.
Time will tell.
 
As far as I know, it's the deliberate and controlled making of a longitudinal split in the femur, to aid in the extraction of a press-fit femoral component of the knee replacement.
@Celle More than likely driving myself nuts!! just wondering based on your experience if that is what the surgeon has to do it seems like there would have to be a 2nd incision or an extension of original??
 
I'm not sure. If cutting your femur allows the implant to come out more easily, that might actually speed up the surgery. And a longitudinal break of the femur should heal more easily than a horizontal break

As for the length of the incision, the surgeon will only extend it if it's necessary to get a good result.
When I had my revision from a PKR to a TKR, my surgeon had to extend my incision by about 2 inches. It didn't make any difference to my recovery time.
 
@Celle
Thanks biggest reason for asking my current scar is 12" long and thinking about what may have to happen it makes sense if it needs to be longer. Not quite sure if it would speed up surgery?? There is still time in taking out femoral implant whether its ( based on videos ) hammer and chisel ( has to be a better term but it does look like a hammer and a chisel ) and if he has to do the vertical break it may take less time but going by what he said being more difficult not sure. Your probably right your the nurse I am the unfortunate one that is going thru this!! At least is something different so to speak.
 
Getting closer this Thursday I will have exactly 2 weeks YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most years always excited about Christmas, wrapping presents decorate the tree looking at the tacky lights watching the older Christmas shows ( Rudolph, Frosty, Drummer Boy etc and lets not forget Nat'l Lamppon's Christmas Vacation ) this year will still watch but not really into it.
 
Do you think for me it will go fast?? Wishful thinking yes it going by but dealing with how it feels makes everyday drag. Then add to the fact I know what to expect following surgery what I feel now is nothing compared to that. Then stressed wondering if this will be it for awhile. This is going to be # 20 and BOY does that bug me!!
 
There is still time in taking out femoral implant whether its ( based on videos ) hammer and chisel ( has to be a better term but it does look like a hammer and a chisel )
We used to have a very experienced orthopaedic surgery theatre nurse on staff and I remember she once told us there is a special tool for extracting femoral implants and it works very well.

Don't get hung up on the difficulty of extracting this piece of hardware - I think your surgeon mentioned it because he had to, as part of full disclosure but, actually, a skilled surgeon should be able to do it without too much problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Less than 2 weeks to go!! Pain still stinks, today its over cast and cold. Tried to be nice to knee but it did not care its still angry. On a positive note less than 2 weeks on a negative note once surgery is done the real pain starts and that really is no fun. Hopefully unlike now the pain after surgery does get better not perfect but better.
 
@Pumpkln or anyone
Getting pretty close which is good news!! Bad news now its pretty much everyday is not a good one. As its been written at least once I have the surgery pain should get better as opposed to now which seems to be going in opposite direction. Any thoughts on what can be done to stay somewhat comfortable other then ice elevate use diclofenac lotion pain pill when needed?? What's even better X-mas 4 days away and this is the first time I am just not even close to being happy its almost here, frankly I could care less. Knee pain just getting to me!!
 
Do you have a TENs unit? They are OTC at drug stores and online.
TEN's units can help with pain.
 
Do you have a TENs unit? They are OTC at drug stores and online.
TEN's units can help with pain.
Good idea but I already have something better ( forgot to mention ) a Medtronic Pain stimulator implant. Pretty much the same idea as a Tens Unit but its internal. Knee pain stinks but its only 9 more days.
 
@Celle
Maybe you or someone can explain this to me because this makes zero sense?? I completely agree if you do too much all it does is cause more pain swelling etc. I also agree knowing that my surgery is next Thursday its okay to take it easy not much will change this close to due date. So why does my knee hurt so much. Yesterday all I did was see primary care Dr. to get BP checked and that was it and I was miserable ( it was bad enough took 2 pills instead of 1 ) iced it numerous times. It was bad enough it was hard to get comfortable to get to sleep.
Today woke up hurting but thought should feel better WRONG went to PT. Took it easy lately most of what I do involves stretching no intention of making things worse. The exercise that hurt the most and its never hurt this bad was while standing straight leg raises 2 sets of 5 ( I could barely do 6 ). Since I have been home ice and elevate took a pain pill. I am so sick of this I just wish I could point the finger and say yes I deserve to feel like I do because of over doing it but really not doing anything. Really frustrated!!
 
So why does my knee hurt so much. Yesterday all I did was see primary care Dr. to get BP checked and that was it and I was miserable ( it was bad enough took 2 pills instead of 1 ) iced it numerous times. It was bad enough it was hard to get comfortable to get to sleep.
I think your knee has reached a point where any activity is going to make it hurt.

The exercise that hurt the most and its never hurt this bad was while standing straight leg raises 2 sets of 5 ( I could barely do 6 ).
It's pointless still going to PT and doing exercises. This exercise isn't necessary right now.
I suggest you stop going to PT and torturing yourself.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pumpkln @Celle etc
Hope all of you had a great Christmas?? Things are really starting to get real the hospital where I am having the surgery at is going to be changing their surgery schedules. As it turns out I am getting it done the last day before they make changes. My date is Thursday on the 1st ( Friday ) they will be cutting back to make room for Covid patients. So thankfully I am good!!
The only thing that is really bugging me is how the knee has been feeling. Now everyday is painful no matter what I do ( which lately is nothing ) it hurts. The way I am looking at it its only 5 more days at least after the surgery it can start to heal as opposed to now where it just hurts more.
 
Christmas was quiet at my house.
Only a few more days, glad you are getting in before the restrictions on your hospital.

A week from now your knee will be on a healing path!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom