THR Sarah Bee (Re)Learns to Walk.

. this recovery is certainly up & down... no straight lines xx
Isn't this the truth! My BP has been elevated since surgery but not so high as today. It's normally in the 120/70-75 but today it was 168/something. I was so gobsmacked by the 168, I didn't hear the rest.

I have had swelling in my foot that goes up and down. I hope she is over reacting but it is pretty bad the last few days. In fact, my PT suggested I check with the doctor. I'm keeping it elevated for the most part and will as much as I can this weekend. Early appointment on Monday, so yay!
 
Thank goodness for an early appointment!
Just wondering if your leg/calf is red or hot or just swollen?
Hoping that elevating it will get the swelling down ..
Just as you’d got sleep beaten.. arrgghh!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
No redness that I can see. Bruised and battered. I think the swelling combined with bp concerned her and she is erring on the side of caution. Which isn't a bad thing.

I've been elevated mostly since I came home and swelling is very much down.
 
When it rains, it pours! I am glad PT encouraged you to get seen and your doctor is being proactive. Your mind will hopefully be put to rest after the Monday ultrasound. I will say that both times I had a DVT in my lower leg, I could definitely feel something amiss. Felt like a charlie horse. Hopefully the antibiotics look after the UTI quickly too - that would be quite uncomfortable with everything else you're dealing with!
 
@Carriemay60 I have some tender spots where I am bruised, and some achy spots from PT but other than the swelling it feels normal. Keeping it elevated has brought down a lot of the swelling. But yes, I'm glad she is keeping a close eye on it
 
Could someone, anyone who is attempting to sleep on your side help me out. I fall asleep, pillow between my knees, but wake up in a panic about foot placement, ankles, etc. Id there a rule on what to do with feet and legs besides the pillow? I have no instructions.

Also, sleeping on my back and my leg and foot just naturally turn to the outside. Suggestions on keeping it straight??
 
I have a relatively soft pillow under my leg for back sleeping that creates like a gutter for my leg to sit in. There is a rolled towel next to that to hold up the pillow on the right side. If my foot turns out, I find it quite uncomfortable. I was told no side sleeping for me but in the pre-op they told everyone that the pillow had to go from mid thigh all the way to the foot.
How was your sleep last night?
 
Had a big catch up this morning on your thread. So sorry about your swelling @SarahBee I will be eager to hear how the ultrasound goes. I am 31 days out and still have swelling on both feet and ankles. Have been reassured it’s normal. I go in again Tuesday and welcome another OS look as it’s painful.

Had a good laugh at the hubby shopping trips. Mine has improved dramatically since the early days in September. He can even make his own list now, that includes fresh greens. Big step in our house. Hope you get lots of good news Monday. ❤️

Did you get crazy rain last night? Yard is super green, but it was LOUD.
 
I woke a few times but was mostly able to go back to sleep. Med alarm woke me again at 6:00 this morning. I remember now you mentioned your soft pillow for your leg when on your back. I'll send my husband in search of one today.

I have a nice between the knees pillow but am still insure what I can do with my feet. :scratch:
 
Yes, @Fit4Family , the rain was unbelievable. Bit of waterfront property in our back yard this morning. :heehee: But as you say, very green. Hoping tomorrow will be sunny and nice.

Thanks for your good wishes. Swelling in foot is down a lot so I am ever hopeful.
 
Last edited:
@SarahBee Use a second pillow from where the first one leaves off to the foot. You could even join them together using diaper pins (found mine on Amazon) The pillows between your legs shouldn't collapse too much with the weight of your leg. I would suggest foam pillows for that.
 
@SarahBee My foot, ankle and calf were swollen until almost my 3rd week. I had trouble using the cane with the swelling, so I stuck with my walker until almost week 5 (?) I think. My blood pressure has been all over the place this last year. I blame it on the stress, pain and then surgery. Just what we need on top of the hip recovery! I finally quit checking mine but have appt in June and I'm sure it will be at the top of my list. Hope the icing and elevating helps so you can enjoy your day tomorrow. And wishing you a good night of sleep!!! Happy Easter!
 
@SE Florida I have been elevating a lot this weekend and the swelling is very much better. In fact, my husband commented on crinkly skin around my ankles and on my lower leg. So, progress.

Just took my blood pressure, also. 131/74. Vast improvement. I think the bp on Friday might have been a one off but I'll keep th appointment anyway, just to be sure.
 
Yes best to go have the b/p checked but sounds good right now so you can rest your mind for awhile. Good to hear the swelling is better too! Maybe keep icing and elevate every couple of hours. Now if you can get some sleep, you're all set!
 
I couldn’t sleep on my side till my swelling had diminished. I didn’t worry too much about my feet, but had to use 2 pillows between the knees to keep from hurting. Sometimes being on my side would make my knee hurt. :what:

Now I can sleep on the non op side w no issues (and have been so I can get ice on my butt!), and can sleep on the op side for short stints.

But I slept kind of fetal last nite and woke up really sore today.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom