Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

I'm sorry. :console2:
I"ve had odd episodes like that also. You end up scratching your head wondering - what did I do to cause this?!

Our forum friend, Eman85, has often shared that he feels some of these aches and pains are nothing more than what's to be expected given the date on our drivers license. Aging bodies...I guess. Better than the alternative though, right? :wink:

Glad you're feeling better today, Sandy. I hope the weather is beautiful in your neck of the woods today and you enjoy the rest of this holiday weekend. :)


Is It True You Can Feel Weather Changes In Your Joint?

For some people, yes. It's especially true for patients with arthritic joints who have not had a joint replacement, but also the case even after you have a new prosthetic in place.

Weather changes are predicted by changes in barometric pressure, which is the weight of the air pressing against the earth's surface. These changes can trigger pain and stiffness in the area of the prosthesis. The activity of bone adapting and growing around the metal leads to the sensitivity felt during weather and pressure changes. These sensations normally disappear within one to two years following surgery.
@myglasshalffull
 
Sorry to read this, @myglasshalffull! But glad you are feeling better today. I hope it was just the weather and not the start of arthritis in your knee.

Alos, I just noticed this in your last post:
I’m coming up on 7 years since I broke my ankle & had surgery
I'm another graduate of ankle ORIF, as you'll see from my signature. Let's include this in yours since it is bone-related!

Please give us the date and which ankle so we can update your signature.
 
Benne,
My surgery was July 12, 2018. Left ankle. Three fractures from falling down 3 carpeted stairs! I was rushing & actually slid more than fell.
I had screws & rods on both sides & rod going through back of ankle to stabilize. Rod was removed in January of 2019 & he’s wanted to remove a screw from my ankle bone cause it’s sticking out but no more surgery for me.
I actually think recovering from my hip was easier than ankle cause I had a cast for 8 weeks after surgery & I couldn’t put any weight on that side. And I hate using crutches.
 
Layla,
Yeah it was weird cause nothing to base the pain on. No kneeling or overdoing anything! And I had to dog sit for my regular client & Ernie (dog) loves his walks. Fortunately I babied the area for one day & i’m back in business! Over course of the day with Ernie we logged 5.8 miles & my knee is totally pain free! Go figure.
I love Eman’s posts. He was reason I started using shopping cart in grocery store early in my hip recovery! We learn so many good tips here!
 
I'm glad you're feeling better :loveshwr:
It sounds similar to what I get when it's cold or sometimes even if it's a draft, for example air conditioner in a vehicle blowing on my knees and everything goes really stiff with that toothache type pain. I did read somewhere that weather pressure changes could trigger it. Warm therapy seems to help me get quick relief. Even just a thick blanket over my legs for a bit. My hubby often looks at me in horror proclaiming... It's not that cold! I have to explain I'm warming my legs up to get rid of pain.
 
Three fractures from falling down 3 carpeted stairs! I was rushing & actually slid more than fell.
I had screws & rods on both sides & rod going through back of ankle to stabilize.
Wow. That sounds so much like my 2012 right ankle fracture. I also have rods and screws on both sides (still have mine!) And ! completely agree with you that the ankle recovery was harder than the hip.
 
Well, the good news is, that episode was short lived and you're back in biz.
I love Eman’s posts. He was reason I started using shopping cart in grocery store early in my hip recovery! We learn so many good tips here
I like his posts also.

I love "Eman's Shopping Cart Therapy" :wink: It's practical and useful and it gives you something to do
(browse / shop) one of those big box stores in those early weeks when you're bored silly. It's a great idea.

Happy Memorial Day, Sandy!
 
Ok where’s Danelady?
Need to hear from her about new doctor etc.
Happy to report now that it’s hot & humid my body feels great! No aches or pains. Hip…what hip?
I met up with some friends for lunch yesterday after not seeing them for close to 3 years. One of the women was the friend that had dislocated 6x’s and reason I was extra cautious during my own recovery. And her dislocations were doing simple things nothing crazy. In any case she looks fabulous and other friend also had a hip replacement. We were a walking encyclopedia of joint replacement knowledge.
 
It sounds like you're thriving and enjoying life and I'm happy to read it. Your unwavering support of others is such a blessing around here. It's wonderful that you're doing so well and feeling so good!
It's nice to have friends you are able to have conversation with about joint replacement who actually understand through personal experience. I hope you're enjoying Summer so far.

Danelady started a thread over on the knee pre-op side as she faces a TKR. I will link her thread so you can follow her over there also. Have a great rest of the week!

@myglasshalffull
 
Hip hip hooray :wave: Glad you've got the weather on your side! Soak up and enjoy the summer. That story of the 6 dislocations gives me the shudders. I'm glad she's doing well now.
 
Good Sunday morning everyone.
I just want to share my morning so far. I had to pick up Ernie dog I babysit at 6:30. We went directly to walking trail we both love, it’s one mile up and one mile back all along wooded trail & river runs along the entire trail.
It was only 58 degrees & just a gorgeous morning for a walk.
Sun was rising & it glistened off the smoky water.
We were all alone, just me, Ernie & nature. Good morning world, I feel honored to be sharing sunrise with you today.
Now to the point of this post.
When I first started walking here again after my replacement I could only go so far on the trail. As days went by I could go a little further before my back or thigh started to feel sore.
This AM as I arrived at those various locations that I’d have to turn around I just had such a grateful feeling come over me. Wow, I can walk this whole trail. Yes, I ‘m over 3 years into recovery but it never ceases to amaze me how we can get our bodies taken apart & put back together.
And I’ve had a few setbacks along the way but thanks to all the great folks here they’ve been short lived & Ive been able to resume my life.
So keep the faith my friends. We all travel a different path but hopefully in the end we get to the finish line.
 
What a heart lifting update, thank you :loveshwr: I was on that walk with you for a moment or two, you described it beautifully. I hope others who are facing continued challenges will be encouraged by your story. Never give in, never surrender!!! ... (Think that is a quote from a mad film, not the point :)). Congratulations on such a spectacular and beautiful milestone on your continuing journey of recovery!
 
Such an inspirational post! I loved the vivid description of your surroundings, I also felt like I was walking alongside you and Ernie, taking in the sites and sounds of nature. And I never tire of a grateful heart.
It Is The Best! I so love how you freely give of your time in an effort to support and uplift others, you're a true gem! Have a wonderful week. :thumb:
@myglasshalffull
 
@myglasshalffull How wonderful! I've had a mantra that I'd share with my spiritual "tribe:" "If love is the language of the Universe, then gratitude is its fuel." I'm right there with you. One day on our vacation to Yellowstone in 2022, we hiked a total of 10 miles by the end of the day. I was in awe and so grateful that I had had all the circumstances, skilled people, and family come together to give me that day. Life is good. Blessings!
 
Happy Sunday AM everyone. I have a Quick question & I must be technology challenged cause I did look around for this information here but I’m looking for info on repairing labrum tear? Not me. My best friend’s grand daughter has a labrum tear from her sports, she’s 19. And scheduled for surgery in December during school break. Is there articles here I can look at and possibly share some insights for my friend.
Thanks in advance.
 
Good Morning Sandy,
Try looking through the threads you'll find below from a search on "torn labrum".
I can't think of any articles off hand, but I will look further and link the information if I find any.
Happy Sunday! I hope it's a good one for you. :)
 
Thanks Layla. I read through a few and now have better understanding of the various procedures and I don’t want to make my girlfriend anymore worried than she already is. Her grand daughter is an all star athlete on a scholarship at college for sports.
Sure hope her surgery goes well & she recovers with no ill effects to her body and can continue her sports career at school.
I’ll continue to read more, thanks again.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom