Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandy's Recovery Thread (after a fall)

Hi there,
What a bonus, unintentionally dropping a few lbs while out enjoying nature walks with your sweet doggy pals.
Early on in recovery we often remind members that recovery takes a full year for most, many even noticing improvement into the second and third years post op. So I'm happy you shared this! You're a perfect example, Sandy.

Thank you for checking in as you do and for the dedication you've shown in supporting others. Many have benefited through your words. You are appreciated. :friends:
Have a wonderful Thursday and weekend!
@myglasshalffull
 
Wondering if there's been any news from Danelady??? Last we knew she had a bad fall & was going to see doctor a few days later & since have heard nothing.
Sure hope she's OK???
Danelady...where are you???
 
I haven't heard anything from, or about, danelady. Thanks for the reminder. I tagged her with a message on her thread. Hopefully she gets alerts and will respond. :fingersx:

Have a nice weekend @myglasshalffull Your dedication to offering support here is appreciated and does not go unnoticed. Have a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Sandy, I love reading your supportive contributions each morning. It is appreciated. You've been a blessing here.
I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!
@myglasshalffull
 
Thank you for the kind words Layla.
I enjoy checking in here just about every AM to lend an ear & support for those just beginning their journeys. I know I'd have been lost if I hadn't found this group.
And now I just want to give back when I can offer advice & support.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving today.
 
Good AM everyone,
I can't believe it's Christmas Eve once again.
Going to my son's house later this afternoon for appetizers & then ham dinner.
Quiet day tomorrow, my Texas clan are usually at my house for Christmas but this year their schedules just didn't line up & travel would have been very rushed. Both my grand daughters (22 & 20) are in college on West Coast & their schools are only off for 2-3 weeks. Too much traveling in a short window seeing I'm in Northeast, but we have been very lucky that my son & DIL have been able to come up here just about every year for last 30 years except for 2x's. Once the girls were added to their family they spent every Christmas here & as far as they were concerned when they were little "Santa lived here."
Life is changing but that's a good thing in many ways.
I want to wish everyone a joyful & Happy Holiday season no matter what holiday you celebrate.
And my sincere thanks to all the Bonesmart Staff for their tireless contributions in keeping this site going. It is such a beautiful gift for all of us to enjoy.
Peace & goodwill...
 
Thank you for the kind words to our team, @myglasshalffull.

We appreciate you and your regular presence on the forum and your continue support for others during their recoveries. Hope you will stay with us even as you approach your 3-year hip-anniversary!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Thanks for the sweet sentiment, Sandy! It will be appreciated by all, just as you are for the ongoing friendly support and sage advice to fellow members. Sending a warm hug along with wishes for a Merry Christmas and many blessings to you in 2025! :santa-dance:
@myglasshalffull

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Good morning my fellow Hippies!
We have just returned from our yearly sojourn to the Virgin Islands. We go every year 1st two weeks of February for my birthday. I turned 73 on vacation which included a beach party with so many friends we've made over the years. Everyone brought food & we cooked on the grill & just enjoyed the gorgeous turquoise water. Such a treat to escape winter here for a couple of weeks.
Miss Hip behaved! I trudged through the beach sand with no issues. Where we stay there's some pretty big hills & I made sure I got up & out every morning for my walk. Not my usual 3-6 miles I do back here but lots of hill climbing along with a few flat spots. Sometimes I think coming back down the hills is more difficult than climbing them!
I can't believe it will be 3 years on Sunday since my hip replacement. I've so enjoyed my time here on bonesmart & credit all of you that take time to contribute each day to my recovery. I would have been very lost w/o all of you.
I know I've said many times Year 2 of recovery was even better than Year 1 now lets see what Year 3 has in store for me & Miss Hip!
Anyone just starting their recovery hang in there, it does get better.
 
This is such a good example of a steady, healing time frame. So many of us marveled as we continued to improve, even 2 years later.
Updates like yours put such a big smile on my face!
Congrats on enjoying those beautiful hips.

P.S. My THr's are older than yours but I still smile when slogging through the sand or hiking on uneven terrain... such a gift to ourselves!
 
Hello dear BoneSmart friend!
Your annual vacation sounds lovely and I'll bet it's exciting to look forward to spending time with friends you've made over the years in such a beautiful setting and climate. It's wonderful that you're able to enjoy the activities you love like your daily walks, without your hip protesting. That's what we all hope for.

We're happy you enjoy your time here on BoneSmart and Welcome you to the Insiders Club! Thank you for supporting the community. Your willingness to share knowledge, offer guidance and help others does not go unnoticed. The kind, encouraging and supportive messages you share here are valuable.

A belated Happy 73rd birthday, Sandy and an early Happy Three Year Anniversary, Righty!
Lots to celebrate. Life is Good! :)

1739458037211.webp

@myglasshalffull
 
Someone was asking me how often I have my hip “ checked.”
Are we supposed to have it checked once a year just like you have a physical or mammogram once a year?
I figure if it’s not bothering me it’s ok.
 
I don't have mine checked either. I have the same thought as you, myglasshalfull, but I do believe the OS's prefer we do follow up visits every few years, even if all seems well. Reason being silent wear or loosening can show up on x-rays and early detection can prevent more serious complications down the road, such as a revision. I don't like routine x-rays so I don't really want them unless I sense a red flag. Personal choice I guess.
@myglasshalffull
 
@myglasshalffull When I had my hips replaced my HMO was participating in a national study of hip implants. So I had my hips x-rayed once a year for 5 years. However since then either the study ended or there was a time limit on it. :shrug: I've had no other follow up since 2016. My surgeon did say at my last visit with him that I could return anytime if there were problems .... thankfully I have not needed to go back to see him.
 
It’s not necessary to have a replaced joint checked on any type of schedule. Only go for a visit with your surgeon if you have questions or something is bothering you.
 
@myglasshalffull Same here. First anniversary x-ray and then as necessary, if warranted, for any complaints. I do however still get my "every so often" follow-up questionnaires that I volunteered for research/data collection. At the end of each one is always a kind reminder that if there is any concern that you feel needs attention, please feel free to contact your orthopedic care team. Nice touch.
 
Thanks everyone. I do get my ankle checked now & then. I have a screw bulging out of my ankle bone & my OS has mentioned removing it a couple of times. I think I’m coming up on 7 years since I broke my ankle & had surgery to repair it & probably had the ankle checked 3 times once I was healed. Last year I had it X ray’s at OS cause top of my foot was so sore & I was thinking my increased walking might have damaged it somehow but just good old arthritis !
 
Well yesterday my knee & thigh gave me a run for my money. I’ve been totally fine but woke up to tooth ache like pain in my knee & eventually it worked its way up into front of my thigh. I have done nothing different or hurt myself. We’ve had horrible raw, cold & wet weather all week so I’m just guessing that’s the issue. I know my knee probably arthritic but pain was achy. Took advil & found my compression sleeve for the knee. Then I iced & moved ice around from knee to thigh. By afternoon pain had subsided & this AM I’m fine again.
Crazy stuff!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom