TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

I bet you'll get a great report! It sure sounds like you're doing really well. And that sleep is helping you to heal! Gobble it up all you can!
 
First pt is done. We didn't do much today, some stim and stretches, lymphatic massage to help with swelling, then ice and elevate. Flexion was 78 before stretching and massage, 83 after. Extension is 8. I really enjoyed the massage, I hope he does that again :) Because of conflicting appointments with my ride, I won't go again until Monday, then I see the os on Wednesday. After that I think I will go 2 times a week.
 
It's crazy but with my surgery I slept great for the first two months. Even found myself sleeping through scheduled doses of pain meds. Didn't nap much during the day because of that.

But then around month 2 when I became more active I found my knee became more sore at night. Started with the nerve zingers and just overall achiness and stiffness at night that would keep me up all night long even in spite of the pain meds. Lots of watching TV into the wee hours of the night.

Now at 5 months I am just starting to sleep a little better at night. Have a hard time falling to sleep but once I'm asleep I can usually stay asleep for most of the night with just my usual bathroom breaks.

I've always been a good sleeper because I had to learn to sleep just about anywhere because of my job. This not sleeping has been a real adjustment for me. I hope I get back to my old ways.
 
@sandi4213, it's great to hear PT went well and you enjoyed the massage! Your ROM isn't exactly shabby either! Win/win!:SUNsmile:

@flyaway79, I wonder if it will actually take getting back to work for your sleep issues to resolve? Could be!
 
The last couple of days I have been so frustrated and kinda depressed with recovery. I know it has only been 9 days since surgery but I am feeling like I have been doing this forever. I look at my knee and think "why won't you bend?!" How stupid is that? My swelling has gone down a lot, I am still getting a lot of sleep, pain is controlled most of the time (just some annoying achiness sometimes), and yet I am not happy. I really need to snap out of this funk!

Sorry for being a downer this morning, but thanks for being here to put up with me. I really appreciate you guys.
 
You're not a downer, you're a normal human and you HAVE been recovering forever... well, six months. Six months is twice as long as I've been recovering, and I can only imagine how wearisome that must feel. So of course you will feel a bit stretched out on the patience meter. Rumor has it there's patience to be found in a red box under your bed. Some people bargain with their knees (I know I have) but there's no proof that works very well. Knees just do what they want to do anyway.

You really are back at the beginning with your right knee, and very early in recovery. On the plus side, you are sleeping well, and your pain is under control, and you know things will get better. Can you look forward to the fun things you know lie ahead? The exercises you enjoy... the adventures you will have... the freedom that will come when you, finally, at long last, have no pain? Oh, and you have friends here who will nod at your rants and understand exactly where they come from!
 
Hang in there Sandi! As Susie said you are not a downer - just a normal person in recovery who needs to vent - and luckily this is a forum of your peers so we can all relate to the challenges of recovery. This has been a long road for you and each day should bring you closer to the end of recovery.:console2:
 
Thank you for your kind words @SusieShoes and @kmak81230 . After my little pity party, I decided that what I needed was to do something new. I had my granddaughter bring me my cane and I walked into the kitchen and filled my water cup myself. Walking with the cane was really fairly easy, I know my right leg feels strong, even if it doesn't bend well yet, and it did great with just the cane. I think if I can walk around more, I will feel more encouraged. Pray that I find the perfect balance between doing enough to move forward and doing too much.
 
Today is day 11 with knee #2. Still swollen, but not nearly as badly as last week. I have been walking around the house with the cane for the last 3 days. I am doing very gentle stretches, ankle pumps, quad tightening, buttocks tightening, very gentle heel slides (still hard, but I think I am going a little further). Most of my day is spent resting, elevating, and icing.

My family is going to the county fair on Tuesday with my granddaughters 4h pigs. The fair is about an hour away and they have to stay on site with the pigs until Sunday. My son in law will be coming back and forth for work and will check in on me, but I will be mostly alone for the 6 days. I'm trying to get ready to take care of myself. I think it will go okay, but it will be a long 6 days.
 
@sandi4213 Yay for the cane! Sounds like you're moving along nicely and will be ready physically to fend for yourself. The emotional piece might be harder (speaking from my own experience)--are there neighbors or friends who can drop by or call? Even small things like a neighbor stopping by with tomatoes from their garden has meant a lot to me and helped me feel less alone with this. And there's always BoneSmart!
 
@sandi4213 - 6 days is a long time to hang out alone. Make sure you have your books, tv shows, telephone lined up nearby along with snacks and water so you don't have to get up until you want to! Take care and remember we are here to chat whenever you need someone! Those who live alone and have had a TKR may have some other suggestions for you as well!
 
Yes. 6 days is a long time to be on your own at this stage of recovery. However there are many singles on this forum who have had to fend on their own from the time they got home: it might be just what you need to feel better about your new knees, testing out what all you can do.!?
Just have your phone loaded and with you at all times in case you need help if anything freaky/bad happens. I used an apron over my pocket less jammies to have phone w me if DH was out on long errands or at work.
 
@sandi4213 Speaking as someone doing this all on my own--my laptop (or iPad if the laptop is out of juice) is my lifeline. One or the other is with me any time I'm settled in recliner or on the porch--BoneSmart, FB, Netflix, Kindle app, Instagram all help me feel connected in some way and help break the monotony of recovery--doesn't always work but I'd be a babbling fool without those connection points.
 
@sandi4213, so far, your recovery sounds really impressive to me! However, given this is Knee#2 in just 5 months time, now wonder you feel as if you've been recovering forever! I feel that way at just 3 months; pffft!

I'm glad to hear you are able to function with just a cane. IMO, that's huge at such an early date and will definitely be helpful during your 6 days alone. Now, do you have some sort of over the shoulder tote to carry all your stuff around while everyone's away? I'm sure you do, but just checking.:SUNsmile: I tried not to depend too much on Mistah performing *fetch and carry* for me and found a big beach bag to be very helpful.

I hope the six days pass quickly for you, incident-free, and it's good to know your son-in-law will be checking in on you. Hopefully, some neighbors or friends will drop by as well just to break up the day. If not, we are certainly here for you, every step of the way! :SUNsmile:
 
You'll ace the six days. Many people live alone and do very well on their own. If you get lonely, perhaps you can call some friends for conversation, and of course you have friends here online. The main thing is that you can fend for yourself and do what's needed. Perhaps use the opportunity to treat yourself to a favorite binge show, or a few special foods you enjoy. Your knees can keep your body confined, but not your mind.
 
Tanks for thé confidence everybody. I think the biggest challenge will be energy. This morning I got up and used the restroom, brushed teeth and hair, filled my water bottle, and made my coffee. By the time I was back on the recliner, I was exhausted. I am definitely going to have to time my trips well as I build up stamina.

We have lived here for a year and I have been "recovering" for half of that, so I haven't really made any friends yet. My SIL's father said he can stop by a few days to visit, so that will be nice. I do have my tablet, cell, kindle close. My daughter is going to get pre-made salads and things so I can just grab them, so I should be okay for food. Should be an adventure.
 
@sandi4213 I've found the morning routine to be the most challenging time. Now, at 2 1/2 weeks out, I do OK but in the first week to 10 days I often felt like I needed to sit down partway through making coffee, feeding cat, toilet, etc. I've started setting up the coffee pot the night before so all I need to do is click it on. If I were more organized I'd get the cat food set up the night before as well but, oh well...
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom