TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

Thanks, Becky. It's always good to know you're not alone. While I had some swelling with my 1st, I don't remember ever being concerned about it. I would ice and elevate and it would go away. This leg looks like it belongs to someone else, it is so different from my left.

It seems strange to me that except for the swelling, everything else is going better with this one. I'm sleeping better, extension is better, my brain isn't as foggy, but because of the swelling, I can't really work on flexion and I still can't lift it. I think that's related to the swelling, too. I guess there has to be something, can't be too easy, huh? :unsure:
 
I bet with your leg so swollen, it's much heavier than normal and why you can't life it. If you think about it, water is heavy! Elevating and icing can't hurt! Hopefully, it will start to come down.
 
Each knee is different - even on the same body! My first swelled like a basketball. The second has has minimal swelling. Go figure! Ice and elevate toes over nose. It will eventually go away!
 
My 2nd knee is also more swollen I think, although I don't entirely trust my memory of #1. I think I'm idealizing it as a "really easy recovery" but I might not have felt that way in the middle of it :) But I think this one is feeling tighter when I walk, harder to get a natural gait. I think Helen is right, though, just keep elevating and icing.
 
Post op day 5. I think that I slept 5 straight hours last night. I was up for a couple of hours and then slept 2 more. I'm really glad I'm sleeping better this time. Even better, some of the swelling went down last night, too. It is still very swollen, but I can see a difference. What a relief. I hadn't seen any reduction in swelling and I was concerned. I am elevating and icing this morning hoping to get it down some more. I'm feeling encouraged :happydance:
 
Improvement! Yippee! What a good report! Take swelling coming down will help you a lot.
 
I'm glad you're seeing some improvement! Sandi, today I read through my sister's notes, taken while my wonderful PT from last year was working with me at home. I was interested to read that the reason she recommended ankle pumps followed by quad muscle contractions followed by butt squeezes is to reduce swelling. She said to do them in that order to move the fluid up from your feet. I bet everyone but me knows this, but I thought it might be worth a reminder for you. I find all 3 of those exercises to be painless and easy.

I too am having a better recovery on this second knee, and I firmly believe the main reason is that I'm not so freaked out. The more we can relax and trust our bodies to heal, the better we can sleep and manage our pain. Easier said than done, I know. I should get the Worrier Award. Maybe @Pheebs52 can send us each a shiny red box of anxiety relief for under our beds. Sleep tight tonight!
 
Thanks @Happydale . I guess everyone but you and me knew about doing that order of exercises to reduce swelling. I have been doing those because they are the ones I can do and I will make sure I do them in order from now on.

I know that lessened anxiety has made a big difference this first week. Last time I was completely overwhelmed the first week. Knowing what was likely to happen has helped. In my case, I know the surgery on my 1st one was more involved because the knee was bent so badly for so long and the 2nd one was much easier. I assume that has helped make this beginning of recovery easier as well. I don't know yet if any of this will translate to better ROM though. I start PT on Tuesday so we'll see.

I hope your night is full of happy dreams and empty of anxiety.
 
Sandi and Sara, I have to join that club. I hadn't ever heard of that sequence of exercise to reduce swelling! I'm going to try this as I have swelled since the MUA. I'm glad that yours has gone down some. Sleep well tonight. I'm getting ready to check out a sleep meditation that Sara shared. Here's to us all sleeping tonight!:friends:
 
Sandi, Great to hear uou are sleeping and getting that swelling down! This is my second and I've never heard about the sequence of exercises. Who knew??? Whatever it take, right? Keep up the good work!
 
Post op day 6. My sleep is so much better this time, I almost feel like something is wrong. If I didn't need to get up for meds (which I definitely do!) I think I would probably sleep through the night. I don't know why it's different this time but I'll take it.

I really can't remember what my knee was like at this point last time, but right now it is stiff and sore, I don't have much flexion, I can't lift my leg on my own. I am looming forward to pt tomorrow just to get some feedback on how I'm doing and what to do now. The achiness in my thigh is getting better (tourniquet) so that is nice. I really wish I could remember how I was doing at this point last time.

My left knee has been fantastic! She definitely deserves a gold star for stepping up and taking over. There has been no swelling, even with additional pressure of taking over for the right.

I hope everyone else out there is having a great Monday so far. Praying for an easy, productive week for all the bonesmarties out there.
 
Oh, give your left knee some TLC for being so good! It's so nice to hear that a TKR has recovered so well. And yes, I think we forget a lot about those early days of recovery. One thing I still do remember, though, is how stiff and sore my knees were! It was difficult to know how well (or not) a body is doing when in the grip of unfamiliar pains and sensations. I loved every time a nurse or PT told me I was doing well, because it was a marker for where I was. Hope you get all kinds of positive feedback... and nap a lot in between!
 
Sandi, I'm so glad to hear Knee #2 is to date a bit of an easier recovery; whoohoo! I'm sure it's condition going in was different and I think that plays a big part, along with pretty much knowing what to expect. And sleeping fairly well already? Priceless!

Now, just in case you should develop any little anxieties along the way, I'm forwarding a lovely, lavender sachet of anti-anxiety Pixie Dust. @Happydale, check your Pixie Express delivery 'cuz there's one in there for you as well, lol. These are convenient because you can just tuck them inside your pillowcase, rather than reaching under the bed as one must do for patience. :SUNsmile:
 
Sandi, I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well! You can look back on your thread on your 1st page and see how you were doing at 6 days. These threads are just like a dairy, showing our daily struggles and successes!
 
I started keeping my own log with this knee knowing I would have a second one done. I wish I had done it with my partial 6 years ago because I definitely couldn't remember my progress with that one. Just knew I had problems but couldn't remember at what point they came and went.
 
@sistersinhim I have read through my thread (a couple of times) but I didn't start it until day 6 and I wasn't very specific about how the knee was doing. I was much more "out of it" at this point last time, I do remember that.
 
Post op day 7. I have my 1st pt appointment today. I am actually anxious to get an opinion on how I'm doing. I know that I will come back wiped out, but I haven't been out of the house since surgery and I'm ready.

I am still puzzled about why, but I am getting so much sleep this time. Lack of sleep was one of my biggest problems last time and this time I almost feel like I'm getting too much. Totally weird, but I'll take it.

While the sleep fairy apparently dumped her dust over me, the poop fairy has been conspicuously absent. She finally made a brief appearance today, finally. After senna -s, Miramax, and finally milk of magnesia, it's about time. I hope she plans to return soon.

I hope you are all having a beautiful day and that everyone has a peaceful, sleep filled night.
 
Hope you get an uplifting PT report. :SUNsmile: It's hard to be happy about our new knees if we're disappointed in them.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom