TKR Sandi's knees, take 2

I think that I will do a "dry run" in the bath, dressed and with someone standing by to see if I can get in and out. Probably not this week, though :)
That's exactly what I told my husband! Let me know how it goes :-)
 
I forgot to say yesterday, but I had to drive over an hour each way to the doctor's office. No one was available to go with me, so I had to drive myself. I was worried about swelling during the drive, so I took my homemade ice wrap (I made it out of fabric before surgery and it holds homemade gel packs and velcros closed) and wrapped it around my knee (thankfully it's my left knee). I also took 2 more packs in a frozen lunch box for the trip home. When I got there, there was no swelling and very little when I got home. I think there would have been no swelling when I got home as well, but I stopped at my daughter's school to see the kids for a little while since it was on the way.
 
Yay! I'm going to try helping with drivng my son to school next week. It's an hr round trip. I think I'll have the husband do drop off and I'll do pick up. I'm nervous about the length of time with my knee being down, but I like your portable ice pack idea.
 
It's a bit too early for your knee to be doing that drive, Jenn.
 
If you push too much Jen you will end up going backwards.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm doing well @zakmick . I feel like I spend a lot of time juggling doing and resting :) I decided this week that I need to start treating my life more normally, so I am just doing what I want when I can. I stretch my knee out on the ottoman for 10 min. in the morning, and then ride 15 min on my recumbent bike (still at the lowest setting) for exercise, but I am not doing any other exercises besides living. I do stairs a couple of times a day, walk around, a little housework, etc. I still get frustrated that I can't do everything I want, but I can do so much more than a few weeks ago. Tonight I cooked dinner for everyone, grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, stuffing (from a box) and peas and I could still walk when I was done! Usually trying to do that much late in the day made me swell and get really sore, so that is an improvement.

I am really grateful that after the first couple of weeks I've really not had major problems. I am nervous knowing that I will be starting over in less than 3 months with the other knee. I hope this knee is ready to completely take over at first and that I don't have any major problems with the next.

I am always so glad when I read that you are doing better. I think about and pray for you regularly. Take care.
 
Sandi, you are doing so well for only less than 2 months! You're going to be ready for that other knee in 3 months, for sure. You are right that your daily activities are all you need. That, in itself is therapy! Good going!!
 
My son-in-law took my daughter, the kids, and I to lunch after church today. We drove to Coeur 'd Alene which is about 45 minutes each way and I was pretty worried about the drive. I went to church (a couple of miles) in the back seat of their Suburban with 2 teens beside me thinking it wouldn't be too bad, I haven't been in the back seat since surgery. Well, when I realized we were going so far to lunch, I was very nervous about how my knee would react.

Church, drive 45 min., lunch, drive 45 min., sounded like it was going to be hard, but I really wanted to do something. To my surprise, I didn't really have any trouble at all. My knee didn't swell much at all, and I was comfortable all through lunch sitting in a straight chair. I rewarded my knee by icing and elevating for an hour after we got home, but honestly I'm not even sure I needed to. Such a nice surprise! Now if I am okay tomorrow....:snork:
 
Getting back to doing normal things makes them so special! If you knee rebels tomorrow, just take it easy and she'll snap right back!
 
I got into bed last night and it occurred to me that I had not iced my knee all day. I just didn't think about it, and it didn't seem to be swelling. I was really surprised. Not only did I do all my regular stuff during the day, but I did some grocery shopping, made a homemade soup for dinner, and baked a cake! I gotta say, it was so nice to bake again. I love to bake and I haven't really baked anything (except premade refrigerated cookies) since surgery because I have not wanted to stand in the kitchen so long. So far today, my knee is doing well, too. Woohoo! :egypdance:
 
Wow! That is fantastic! Your knee is less than 2 months old and it's very easy to overdo, so please be careful!
 
@sistersinhim I think I am getting better at stopping when I need to. A week ago I thought I would never get my energy back, and this week I have been surprised several times after I'm done with something that I'm not that tired. I know that there is probably a "rest" day coming up this week :sleep:
 
Good for you, @sandi4213. I have days where I feel like I am making progress but then have days like yesterday when I end up biting off way more than I should. I posted about it in my thread but there was actually a lot more that happened than I posted which led to way over doing it. I long for the day when I don't have to think about where we park, are there stairs, how big is the store, etc, etc. These are all things I took for granted! I had my epidural for my back this morning and have strict orders to be up for bathroom only till Sat morning. I'm elevated and got the ice machine running and watching 'Call the Midwife". Because of the meds they gave me for the epidural I took a 2 hour nap, something I haven't been able to do recently! Thanks for posting your good report!
 
Most days I am doing well. Tuesday I stopped by my daughter's first grade classroom and ended up staying about 4 hours helping (not sitting!). After I had energy left to stop at Walmart for a few things and then cook dinner.

Wednesday I went with my second grade granddaughter on a field trip to a youth theater about 45 min. away. I was surprised that the bus ride wasn't bad. After the play we went to a park for lunch and then home. That day I was exhausted and went home to ice and elevate. I was okay by dinnertime.

Yesterday I had a nail appointment @ 10 and then went home and basically rested most of the day. Today I feel good. I'm going to go to the school to help for a couple of hours and then participate in grandparents day at the school. I am thinking that tonight will be a pizza or fast food night.

So, lots more energy than I had even a week ago, but I have to be careful not to overdo. I hope your week has gotten better. I am looking forward to the day when you are so happy you got this done. I am actually starting to think about a year from now when both knees are done and healed and how much different my life will be.
 
You are really getting in your life and getting things back to normal! Just listen to your knee and obey it and you'll be fine!
 
10 weeks today. When I think about how far I have come, 10 weeks doesn't seem like very long, but it feels like a lifetime since my surgery. It's hard to remember my life before surgery. When I am tired or sore or swollen, I try to remember that in another few weeks it will probably be much better than now, let alone at the start. At least until the next one:).

I hope that all of you can focus on the improvements instead of the struggle. Best wishes to everyone for a great week.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom