Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@icep707 ,
Thanks, Ivan. I have a ski jacket here in the house for just those occasions, such as business trips to the East Coast, or occasional forays up to Tahoe. Ironically, though, the other morning I had to take the boat down the bay from SF to Redwood City, and I wore 4 layers of clothes, including that ski jacket, plus gloves and hat! But it was 8 am, so it was a bit cold. It warmed up to a nice 70 by 2 pm :)
 
Wow Roger...I'm sorry I've missed all this until now. You are dealing with a lot! I've noticed your spirits are ok though, at least what you show here on the forum. I pray that you will get over the hump with all these physical issues. My heart goes out to you because I really do know how multiple issues can be so discouraging. I'll check here more often. And yes, we need RAIN!!!! That little sprinkle we got the other day is hardly enough. hugs
 
@Lauramacky ,
Hi, Laura,
Thanks for the reply. Well, I can attribute some of the problems to simply getting old...LOL! I will get over the hurdle eventually.
The knee feels good today. We went to the Eagles concert in San Jose last night, and I sat for 3+ hours in a cramped seat with no problems! The concert was great! They played all their hits.
 
Oh, how fun! And I mean the Eagles, not getting old, LOL. I really love the Eagles and especially like One of These Nights. It reminds me of high school. :) I'm living by a new saying....it's not so much our destination, but how we handle it along the way. Sounds like you're handling it well! :D
 
Roger, sounds like things are going in the right direction. I sometimes wonder about revision. My knee gets very sore if I stand on it for too long. Walking isn't nearly as bad. Maybe that's because I'm bending my knee. I passed my two year anniversary in January. It continues to heal. The more faithfully I exercise, the better it feels, except for the standing issue. When are you going to Indiana? I hope not during these winter storms. We went to L.A. for our second wedding, the older son this time. It was gorgeous while we were there. Then we flew home into a blizzard. The entire plane of fliers cheered when the plane landed. That was one good pilot. The airport was empty as we walked to the train...and we got the last train out. Another storm coming tonight we're told.
 
Hi, @juniper ,
Thanks for the reply! Congratulations on the 2 year anniversary, and I'm glad to hear that your knee continues to feel better. Mine feels a bit better, but still loose. The swelling has gone down considerably. I am coming up on 10 months. I still wear a knee brace when I'm up & about. As I said in another post, I'm stepping up my exercises a bit, so we'll see if that helps with the laxity.
I'm flying to Indiana on Feb 20 for the initial consultation. They are going to do CT scans and impressions, and we will set the date for the placement of the implants and a temporary bridge. It will be around the end of March. I checked the weather in Indiana for next week, and it said highs in the 50's and possible rain, so that doesn't sound too bad :)
Glad to hear you had a good time in L.A., and enjoyed our nice weather. I just flew back from LAX last night. I was in Redondo Beach for a business meeting. The weather was fantastic, in the 70's. The sad fact, though, is that we've only had 1 1/2 inches of rain so far this season. We need more!
Take care,
Roger
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Roger So nice to hear you went the the Eagles concert so much enjoyed their music growing up how wonderfu you had such a nice time. Hope you are doing well and best wishes for a great week.. Holly
 
:)Hi Roger Hoping you are doing well. We were watching a news program where president Obama was talking about the seriousness of the lack of rain you are experiencing. Sorry you are having this drought and praying that your situation will get better. We have had summers without rain some years but this looks very serious never went this long where we live. Hope you are doing well and that your teeth get fixed soon and that things will go so much smoother for you. Wishing you a great week Roger and all of the best for you and your wife. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender ,
Hi, Holly,
Thanks for the note. Yes, I saw the news clip, as well. President Obama visited some farms in the Central Valley, which is the agricultural center of CA. The farmers can only irrigate about half their crops this year, using leftover water from last year. If the drought persists, many of them will go bankrupt next year.
We've only had 1.5 inches of rain this year where I live, and the normal at this time is about 15 inches. Some cities have started imposing water use restrictions on residents.
We still have Feb, March & April, which have the potential to be rainy months. We are just hoping & praying.
All else is well. I'm traveling to Indianapolis on Thu & Fri to have a consultation with an oral surgeon on my dental implants and bridge. I'll have the work done in late March.
Cheers,
Roger
 
Hi Roger Just wondering how you managed on your trip hope all went well and that things with your teeth will be fixed soon one more thing done. I can't believe it is already March how fast the time seems to have gone since Christmas. Do you get to sail your boat this time of the year and hope you have had some time to enjoy sailing if you can. I wish you a wonderful week and all of the best Holly
 
@lavender ,
Hi, Holly,
Thanks for the note.
Yes, I made my first trip to Indianapolis for my teeth. It went very well, and we set a date of April 4 for the implant surgery and installation of a temporary bridge. I'm very excited about this! The doctors and entire staff at the implant center are very good. I think the results will be fantastic. The weather was not too bad when I was there. Some rain, and in the 40's with wind. Better than it had been the week before, when it was sub-zero temperatures.

My knee was fine on the trip. As long as I wear the knee brace, I am good. If I don't, then the laxity in the knee causes some swelling and muscle soreness.

I've been doing some maintenance on the boat. It was in the boatyard for 3 weeks getting bottom paint and engine maintenance. It got very dirty there, so I've been busy washing and waxing the topsides and deck. I also have some sail work to do. We do get to sail all year here, but the sailing this time of year is not tropical sailing, by any means... LOL!
We finally got some badly needed rain! We are up to 5 inches for the year, now, which is still well below normal. But we still have March & April, which can be rainy months.

I hope all is well with you. Take care!
Roger
 
Hi Roger It is great to hear that your appointment went so well just a little longer and it will all be as good as new for you. I am happy that you have had some rain and hope that you get more enough to help with the dryspell. Your leg sounds like has done really well and hard to believe that it has been almost a year for us since our surgeries. I am sure that you are looking forward to the coming days when you can get back out and enjoy sailing sounds like it brings you lots of pleasure I love the water must befeel great sailing on it. I am going to see my surgeon in April looking forward to this he is a nice guy. Then plan the next surgery on left leg.

Have been purchasing a few aids to help and although not looking forward to going through it all again know now that it does help and the discomfort and pain only last for a while. I am hoping that this one is easier but even if not know that it will make walking easier. I actually really like my new knee and surprised it has happened as the surgeon said on my last talk let it be and it will come on its own and it has. Nice things are going so good for you and hoping things just get better and better for you. Hope you have a great week. Holly:)
 
Roger , Glad to hear your trip to Indiana went well. I bet you cant wait till your are done with it . So you go back in April. I take it , you have to go back after that . You got family there or you stay at a hotel .? Anyways , glad to see you are still fighting the fight . Im not a fan of the rain but I welcome it due to our dire need of water, to fill the lakes, rivers , springs and creeks. And most importantly the reservoirs. Im hoping your knee improves. Do you wear a basic neoprene brace or a specialized one ? All is going good here in the North Bay, im in my 3 week so im still a new born . I feel good. Lack of sleep is incredible, therfore im always tired. A vicious cycle . My worst fear never materialized. Uncontrollable pain !! Overall so far so good. Im proceeding with caution . Best of luck to you. Im in your corner
 
@icep707 ,
Good to hear from you!
Yes, I'll have to do 4-5 visits total for the teeth. I get the implants and temporary bridge on April 4, then I go back 2 weeks later for a check-up on the implants (very important visit). Then I get the permanent bridge a couple months later. And then back for a final checkup. I travel frequently for business, so I have lots of hotel points accumulated. I'm using some of them, and I also pay sometimes. I also have some free rental car days, and airline miles. Believe me, the amount I am saving by having this work done in Indiana is MUCH greater than my travel costs. It doesn't even come close. And, the travel costs are all tax deductible under medical travel...LOL (subject to the 10% AGI rule, of course!)

I wear a basic $10 Futuro knee brace from CVS. It's cloth, with metal reinforcement on the lateral area. It works well. It gets stretched out after time, so I replace it about every 3-4 months.https://www.amazon.com/Futuro-Stabilizing-Support-Moderate-Large/dp/B0057D7YUY/?tag=ate362da-20

Glad to hear you're doing OK. That's the same way I was. I didn't really have much pain during early recovery. It was only after overdoing it at PT at around 12 weeks when I had some muscle pain. Just stay on top of the pain meds, and you'll be good.

Take care,
Roger
 
Hi Roger, I was reading your thread, congratulation on your tkr recovery. I am going to suggest for your wife a possible solution to her hand and foot eczema. I have it also and mine is related to food allergies. Since I have had allergies most of my life I have been on allergy shots forever. I also went to dermatologist for years with no results. I changed allergist over a year ago and he tested me for food allergies and I reacted to 42. If I eat the foods my hands break out. It takes at least a year to totally heal after avoiding the foods. I was tested for a few foods only once years ago and was told I didn't have any. My sister has major problem with feet and hands and they came up with psoriasis which has not responded either. She has positive food allergies but continues to eat the foods. She doesn't listen to me about avoiding them. If one allergist says negative try one more. Try to find one with extensive work with food allergies.

Best of luck
Charlotte
 
@MS Char ,
Thanks Charlotte. Well, you are right on with your suggestion. I may have mentioned it on another thread, but my wife's dishidrotic eczema is under control now. She simply cut out some foods from her diet, such as carbs, and she hasn't had a bad flare-up in over 3 months now! So it appears to be working! She hasn't had any formal food allergy tests, however, but her endocronologist agrees that it is likely a food allergy.

Roger
 
Hi, all,
It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I'd give an update.
I had my dental implant surgery on April 4 in Indianapolis. I came through it pretty well. The procedure itself was completely painless, as they gave me IV sedation, so I was in and out of it the entire time. I'm now the proud owner of a brand new set of "all-on-4", which is a full upper arch fixed bridge supported by 4 dental implants :) My smile is great now! My wife and I stayed in Indy through the weekend, so I could semi recover. We were going to tour the Indianapolis 500 museum on Sunday (I'm a big auto racing fan!), but my face swelled up pretty badly on the 2nd day post-op. So we changed plans and I rested instead. Recovery is not too bad. I have a little background pain. It's not too bad, I just take some 5 mg Vicodin in the evenings. I'm also on antibiotics for 1 1/2 weeks to protect that left knee, and keep any infection away from the implants. I head back to Indy next week for my 2 week check-up. So it's done, and it's a big load off my back. My lower teeth will need the same treatment, but probably not for another year or more. It's amazing what they can do now with dental implant technology. 20 years ago, this same procedure would have required 6-8 implants, possible bone grafting / sinus lift, and a year or more to complete the entire process of grafting and osseointegration of the implants.

My knee has held up fine during all my travels. It's fine as long as I wear my knee brace, which helps with the laxity. I have my 1 year knee check-up coming up in May.

Cheers
 
Hey Sir !! So glad you are happy with your new grill. So If im correct , you go in for a important check up in 2 weeks . And than you are done with the uppers. Thats great !! And than your annual check up in May for your knee . Jeez , you are pretty busy. I bet your face was not as swollen as you thought . It must of felt like a ballon was in your cheeks. Thats always a strange feeling . I wonder if your knee implant or now teeth implants set off the metal detectors at the airport . BTW im flying to Laguna beach on the 23rd and fly back on the 28th. Im going to visit ex inlaws. What can I say , they still love me . Hey im 8 weeks out now and rode my motorcycle today. Weather made it irresistible as I got 4 more weeks off work. Knee feels great . I know it will get even better in time but I have to be cautious with it . Gentle if you will ! I hope your annual appointment answers some questions for you, regarding the laxity and any other concerns. Did you have your knee done in the south bay or in the city. I got my bill a couple of weeks ago and it was way more than I thought it was gonna be , granted I have great insurance but the total was 161,000 $ . Bilaterals in Florida cost cheaper and I had a single . Amazing !! Well Roger , safe travels and best wishes . Ivan
 
:)Hi Roger It is so nice to hear from you and wonderful that all went well. I have been going to write you but wasn't sure if you would be back and so happy you let us know you are doing fine. I will be going for my 1 year checkup in May on the 2nd. This year has gone by fast now looking back but at the time seemed to be long during recovery. How is your knee is it feeling better you have done so well. I will be talking to my surgeon about the left replacement when he checks my right he is going to discuss when the next surgery will be. I think we have really handled this great and I am very happy now that I had the replacement. My surgeon told me that he thought that maybe if I left it to do its thing I would be surprised how well it would turn out managing well and so much stronger then it was before taking lots of nice walks and enjoying the change in weather so much snow has melted now lots of sunshine most days and clear sidewalks and roads. Wishing you the best Roger and again so nice to hear you are ok. Holly:SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom