TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think so---hind sight, being what it is, makes it easy to second-guess yourself, but you could not forecast this and had to prioritize.
Agreed. And now I have to prioritize things even further, since I am looking into dental implants, which will involve oral surgery. I refuse to wear a denture the rest of my life.
 
Agreed. And now I have to prioritize things even further, since I am looking into dental implants, which will involve oral surgery. I refuse to wear a denture the rest of my life.
I have a couple implants needed, also---going to talk to my dentist and an oral surgeon in he upcoming months. Dentures are also not in my future, as well.
 
@referee54 ,
Tim,
Yes, I understand you not wanting to wear them. Take it from me, they are not fun.
It's amazing what they can do with implants now. They can replace an entire arch of teeth with just 4 implants and a fixed bridge, with what is called an "All On 4" procedure. Or, the implants can support a removable bridge (lower cost option).
However, the prices they charge amount to what I deem to be highway robbery. It pays to shop around. Some people go out of state, or even out of the country to have the work done.
Good luck with it.

Roger
 
Roger, it had to have been an accident, but I apologize. No way would I have rated your post funny, and I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have followed your thread and I agree that you are doing the right thing following through with your O.S. I have been in a similar situation and am on a "wait and see" with my OS, as far as a revision goes.

Again, I meant to check agree, and wish you the best with the O.S.

Dorothy
 
@turtle68......how about going up to that post and changing the "funny" to something else or to no response at all? I really don't want it to stay the way it is and you're the only one who can change it.
 
Well, I went to my OS today to have him check out my knee.
He said that there were no outward signs of infection, such as excessive swelling, redness and fever. He said that the amount of effusion in the knee was not excessive for this stage in recovery. Nevertheless, he ordered a blood lab to be done to check for any other indicators of infection. Based on those results, he may decide to take a culture of fluid from the knee. He mentioned that he would not do a bone scan, since he considers them unreliable and generally unnecessary. He took X-Rays of the knee, and said that there was no apparent loosening of the components. Everything looked good.

Regarding the pain: He said that the knee cap was tracking properly along the femoral component. He mentioned that during the surgery, he had to do quite a bit of debridement around the MCL, due to all the joint fluid that had leaked out from the arthritis. He said that may explain why the medial area is a little painful and tender. The pain I am having is level 2, so he did not prescribe any painkillers. I'll use OTC for now.

Regarding the looseness and clunking: He said that there was a fair amount of medial-lateral (sideways) movement. He did not consider it to be excessive, and he explained that the the movement may have increased as the swelling in the knee has gone down. He doesn't think I have any scar tissue, and my ROM measured good at 125. He looked at my surgery report, and said that he was able to get 130 ROM on the operating table, so I'm not too far off that mark. He said that the clunking is normal, and is a result of the femoral component contacting the surface of the plastic spacer, and it's stem (the knee is a posterior stabilized).

I asked him about the size of the spacer he used, and if it might be too thin ( That kind of caught him off guard :)). He said he used a 10 mm spacer, and that the thickness of the spacer is only determined by the size of the metal components, and the amount of bone that has to be removed for placement. He said it has nothing to do with age (there is a common notion that thinner spacers are used on younger patients to allow for more ROM). He said that the clunking may get better with time, as the effusion in the knee slowly goes away. But, he said if I am really not happy, that he could do a revision to put in a thicker 12 mm spacer. He said it would have less lateral-medial movement, but that it would still clunk to some extent, and that I might lose a little ROM. It's entirely up to me to decide this.

Regarding the dental issues: He said that what is done is done, and there doesn't seem to be any signs of infection in the knee. He said I can go ahead and get the dental implants done whenever I want, but that I should take a 1 week course of antibiotics afterwards, as well as the usual 2000 mg pre-dose.

So, it looks like perhaps a "wait & see" approach is in order. We'll see what the lab work reveals, and take it from there. I'm thinking that if the lab work comes up clean, then I'll go ahead and have the dental implants put in. My reasoning is that I'd rather get the dental work over & done with, and if any infection occurs as a result of it, then I will go ahead an get the revision anyway. The dental work has to be done, no matter what. But the knee revision doesn't.

I'd really like to hear people's comments, and also whether you think I should go see a revision specialist for a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

Roger
 
I agree with proceeding with your implants when the labs come back negative.
A second opinion will reassure you that everything is OK, and have a second set of eyes take a look at your knee.
Good luck,
 
Wishing you good bloodwork.
 
I am glad to hear that your OS didn't find any glaring issues, but I know you want some answers. It would probably ease your mind if you had a second opinion with a revision specialist. Good luck with your bloodwork.
 
Thanks all for the replies. I believe I will seek the opinion of a revision specialist. I'm primarily interested in getting another opinion on the lateral-medial movement in the knee, since that is what is really bothering me. If there is no infection, then the other symptoms may just be related to slow healing.
My OS offered up the solution of a thicker 12 mm spacer very quickly. So I am wondering if the 10 mm spacer was too small to begin with??

Roger
 
Roger,
@skigirl, had a spacer replaced, and is happy with her results. Best to ask the surgeon why he picked the 10mm spacer. I think they try the best during surgery, but don't always get it right.
 
@Pumpkln ,
Thanks. Yes, I did ask him about that. He said the 10 mm spacer was the correct size as chosen on the operating table.
That's why I want to get a 2nd opinion as to if it really is the correct size.
This will have to wait a couple of weeks, since I return to work on Monday after the holiday break, and we will be very busy.

Roger
 
I think that for your own peace of mind, you should get a second opinion. You will be wondering forever. The selection of the spacer is subjective--my doc told me that if he had know how limber I am, he would have chosen the thicker spacer in the first place. He did do that with the second knee.

The docs try to make the right decision, but they are human too. I did find that my knee is much more stable with the new spacer---and the scar tissue that formed, partly in my opinon, because of the motion in the knee has not returned as badly as it was.
 
Hi @Roger I have been catching up on your posts and I am so sorry that you are dealing with all of these things. You have done so very well with your progress and it is hard to have to deal with these issues after all that the knee surgery has already put you through. Your teeth must have been very painful and so hard to have had to go through it again. Hoping all gets better and they find a way to make all of this less stressful for you Will keep in touch and wishing you the best Holly
 
That's why I want to get a 2nd opinion as to if it really is the correct size.

I think that for your own peace of mind, you should get a second opinion. You will be wondering forever.
I agree---get another look---another point of view---it will help you also achieve peace of mind, too!
 
@lavender ,
Thanks, Holly. Yes, it is too many things coming at me all at once. But I'll get through it by taking one thing at a time. I'm still waiting for the blood work results. Hopefully that will come up clean, and I can start thinking about getting the implants and fixed bridge. I have to wait until at least March 1, though, to allow the gums to heal. But I've been having consultations with oral surgeons. It's a matter of finding one who does the best work, but wants to take the least of my money. I may be traveling out of state to have the implants done.

Some good news. My wife's dishydrotic eczema has gotten quite a bit better the last couple of months. She went back onto a low carb diet, and that seems to have worked. It's no coincidence, she hasn't had a major flare-up since she cut out the carbs. So we are very happy about that :happydance:

Roger
 
Thats great news about your wife! I would also talk with a revision specialist after your blood results are in and after you get to dental work done. Its such a bummer. Im rooting for you cause im originally from the city and moved to Sonoma County back in 1990. When I seen SFBAYSAILOR I said yeah! A homeboy. So I was hoping for a great result. Well the saga continues. Hopefully for the better. Arent you glad we are in California ? The weather has been absolutely marvelous !! Keep us posted and best of luck
 
@icep707 ,
Thanks for the reply.
Well, I am happy with the ROM I have achieved, and the fact that I don't have the unbearable arthritis pain anymore. Of course, I'm not happy with the laxity, the lateral soreness, the clunking, and the vibrations that I can feel up to my hip. But who knows, maybe it will get better (I'm only 8 months out), or maybe I can live with it. We'll see. I'm going to talk to a revision specialist sooner rather than later, just to put my mind at ease. The biggest challenge will be to find one locally who doesn't know the surgeon who did my TKR.

Yes, the weather is fantastic, but I'm worried that they might call a drought by summer if we don't get any rain this winter. I've lived in the South Bay for 33 years, and I remember only one time that we had water restrictions. I think it was in the 80's. Until then, though, I'm going to enjoy it!

Roger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom