TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SFBaySailor Roger,

What you are saying is exactly what I am feeling. I can walk much longer distances now, but my knee is just a constant annoyance. I also use a neoprene sleeve to support when I have to do a lot of walking and/or standing.

Glad to hear you are dealing with your knee as you are.

Take Care,

Maria :flwrysmile:
 
@SFBaySailor Hi Roger thinking about your knee and wondering how you are doing . Hope things are going alright and that your knee is managing without any pain to you. Knowing you talked about your knee and the oversight concerning the way your surgery was done and hoping that your knee is doing alright .

I am having surgery on my left knee in 11 days on the 22nd of December just a little longer to go. Hoping this surgery will help with getting an easier bend in my left knee this time around and remembering how we both had our first replacement surgeries just a few weeks apart from one another. Looking forward to my knee being less creaky and hoping all goes well thinking it will be fine. Hope you and your wife have a very Merry Christmas and all of the best for the new year. Best wishes for you and your wife and all the best. Holly
 
@lavender Hi Holly,
Thanks for the message. I'm glad to hear that you are getting your left TKR done, and I really hope that you see good results, especially with the ROM.

I'm getting along OK with my knee. As I said in the post to Maria, there is no real pain, just a sense of irritation and some stiffness. The ROM is good, and I am not having any trouble doing activities. So, I'm not going to rush into any revision surgeries at this time.

The bad news is that I was laid off from my work, 2 days before Thanksgiving, after 6 years of service to the company. The company decided to close down the department I was working in. It seems like our jobs are only temporary these days. My father worked for the same company for 35 years, and retired from them, with a pension. On a positive note, the job market for electronic engineers is pretty good right now in the area of CA that I live in (Silicon Valley). I've had 2 interviews so far, so I don't think it will be too hard to find something. Hopefully, after the first of the year, I'll have a new job secured.

I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, as well!

Take care,
Roger
 
@SFBaySailor Hi Roger So nice to hear from you great to hear that your knee is managing so well. Happy you are not having pain understanding the stiffness as my right knee still gets stiff and can be swollen to sometimes. Thinking that maybe after surgery on my left knee my right knee might get a little break and feel even better. I understand why you are not in a rush to go through the surgery again right away if it is managing alright give yourself a break and waiting is probably the best idea.

Sorry to hear you were laid off from your job. Wishing you get a nice job and knowing you will you have a nice personality and sure you really know your stuff . Having had interview you will not have any trouble getting another one.

The reason that I could have had my surgery was that we also lost our jobs both my husband and me. We worked for 25 years in retail full time with Kmart started when the store was being built and met my husband there a year later when he started. Worked steady for long time and then talk started they would be selling and moving back to the States the rumours went on for almost five years and then the morning just before we were told they held a little meeting with the district managers speaking assuring the rumours were just that rumours came back from lunch to sad faces the rumours were true we were sold. Our store was purchased by the Hudson Bay Company a rival of ours all were very upset. Just after Christmas and we were so worried.

We all waited till the late spring that year to hear if any of us were being kept and then had to go through interviews all over again. I was offered a job and so was my husband the job I was offered was one that everyone had talked about all wondering who would be picked and a few were upset they were not the ones but with having the highest seniority they chose me and then had to go to Toronto for training for a week. So secure for so many years or felt so and then the bottom fell out of our security.

Our store was sold again. It happened during June of 2012 and the store that was purchasing it Target did not have plans to do any hiring from our store, they were not taking the stores till the spring of 2013 and long wait so this was when my knee after so many things happened needed some help and my first OS appointment came just after this. I could not have had a chance to do the replacement if not for the closing of the store. With all of the medical things that were happening with my parents this was the way that we could get the time to travel the distance to see my Dad and do the things needed.

Very upsetting worried about how to survive with out a paycheck. Coasted on our severence pay , looked at investments that could be used, lots of worry but as they say at that time a door closed and a window opened. Never imagined it would work out but aside being careful to stay in our budget, still worried but without the closing none of these things would have been possible. After 38 years no more job at least for now. Seeing how things go after surgery and if needed will find something that does not need the lifting and pace that the last part of job required hoping to stay the way we are but if not will try something else.

It is so true people do not hold jobs as long now, my Dad like yours also worked for many years in the same place he was 40 years when the printing of our city newspaper changed into cut and paste no longer needing the skills of a journeyman printer typesetter and remembering the day they told him how much he was needed they wanted to train him on the new method and he tried but how do you learn to type that fast when never typed before. He left and took whatever he could he did different things till the job at our school board came up and then he stayed there till he retired. The long service way of working is not something common now as many people only have a job for a few years and then so many places close.

You are a wonderful person and anyone who is hiring would be lucky to have you with them. Wishing you all the best and hoping you get a great job but in the mean time hoping you are having some time to do the things that you could not fit in when trying to juggle work and some home time. All the best to you and your lovely wife and do you still have your lovely dogs. Nice to have received your post and good to hear from you Holly Now off to the hospital today is my pre-op appointment such a busy month this has been so far so many appointments my husbands 60th birthday on Sunday visits from people, nurse coming to do accessment on Monday anesth ( have trouble spelling this such a long word appointment0 on Tuesday then next Monday is my surgery day. Best wishes for you and all the best. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SFBay Sailor Hi @Roger Just stopping by hoping all is well with you and your wife. I will not be on bone smart much now just wanted to write and telling you my surgery went so good this time. I have very little pain not much swelling so much nicer results. Hoping you are doing well and have had a chance at a job remembering how much it meant to have you and others we wrote to and thanking you for all the kind letters and words of encouragement. Thanks again for all the nice posts you sent and for helping along the journey and wishing you all the best. Holly
 
@lavender
Hi, Holly,
I'm so glad to hear that your 2nd TKR went much better!! That is great news, and I'm very happy for you :egypdance:
I probably won't be posting much, either, so I will in turn wish you all the best! Take care.
 
Hi Roger Nice to receive your post and wishing you all the best to and thanking you to for all the times you helped me along thanks again hope you are enjoying your time sailing Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom