TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@scaredinCA
Yes, the implants are a long process. Actually, these are one stage implants, meaning that they can be loaded with a dental bridge immediately after the implants are installed. The bridge is temporary, and is light weight and somewhat fragile. After 6 months, they load the implants with the final bridge, which is made of Zirconium, and is very strong. Then, I can eat apples :)
The big difference between the two recoveries is that my dental work did not involve much downtime from work. Only a couple of days after the extractions. The rest of the time is just a slow waiting and healing process.
 
So good to hear your dental surgery went well! I'm sorry to hear about the too small spacer, though, ugh! What a pain but it sounds like a hassle to get it done again with all the time off needed. Would you have to pay for that??

My right knee isn't perfect but I'm hoping with this current left replacement I won't be leaning on the right one so much.

Thanks for keeping me posted and I hope you're enjoying life now. :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes I understand, the TKR is a much different surgery and recovery.. I'm just surprised at the six month part with the dental implants! Did you have just a few implants or a full mouth done? Just so curious.
 
@scaredinCA I can't speak for Roger but my step dad had dental implants and depending on where they are, the process can take a year. With bone grafting, etc., it's not an easy thing.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky @scaredinCA
Yes, Laura is correct. The implant process can take up to a year if you need bone grafts, which need to heal. Fortunately, I didn't need bone grafts. Plus, the technique I had done, which is called "all-on-4", uses implants that are angled so as to clear the sinus cavity, which reduces the need for bone grafts.
It takes 6 months for the implants to fuse to the bone, or "osseointegrate" to the bone.
Yes, I had an entire upper arch done. The teeth were diseased and all of them had to go. I feel so much better now without all the constant infection and poison in my system. My teeth look fantastic, and I've had lots of compliments. Nobody can tell that it is a bridge.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Lauramacky
Thanks Laura. My OS said that the spacer surgery would be an easier recovery than TKR, but I don't entirely believe that, since he would still have to move the kneecap. My original recovery involved lots of issues with the quads settling down and healing, so I know that would be a trouble area. I just don't want to take any more time off from work. They would probably pay me on salary continuance, but I'm only 7 years from planned retirement, so I don't want to be the "old guy with health problems", aka first in line for layoffs....:-)
 
So how did you eat for that six months waiting period? I would imagine that you had to take lots of antibiotics to protect your knee implants, right?
 
@scaredinCA
Like I said, my implants are designed for immediate load, so they were able to screw a temporary lightweight acrylic bridge onto the implants after the implants were placed. I'm restricted to semi-soft foods for 6 months, meaning foods that can easily be cut with a fork. That's not too restrictive, as it encompasses quite a wide variety of foods. I have 2 months to go until I get the permanent fixed bridge. Then I can eat anything.
 
Hi Roger Nice to hear all is going well for you and that your implants are healing great. I am sorry that you are having problems with the laxity of your knee and also wonder how they could make the mistake of putting the wrong size spacer. Is this causing your knee to bend when you are not expecting it to just wondering. I can understand why you do not want to have to go through having it opened up again one time per leg is more then enough. Hoping you have had time to enjoy your sailing and that your have had some time to relax as well. How is the rain situation for where you live. Know you had mentioned in some of your posts that you were in desperate need for rain and hoping it has been better this summer.

I noticed your thread came up in my alerts and just wanted to stop by and say Hi. Hope you and your wife and your lovely dogs are doing fine and that you have had a nice summer.

I am now on the waiting list for my left knee replacement. Tried to wait a bit longer but things are getting a bit more difficult for getting around on it so decided that now was the time. Hoping this surgery goes a bit better as hoping the bend might be higher this time around. I went to my appointment to discuss my decision to have the surgery and was very pleased with the time and care shown.

I discussed the need for a different medication this time around . His focus this time is simply to let my knee heal not pushing for early ROM results he said that would not be the focus. He is going to support me with the idea of massages instead of aggressive pt and said he is going to make sure that this recovery is better controlled with the pain. I am so happy to have things started told waiting time estimate about 4 to 6 months. Estimating the longest time will fall in January sometime .

Getting blood tests done now and thinking maybe he is planning on it being done sooner. Nice to hear you are doing well and good to read your post. Seemed like it was lasting forever when we both had our surgery wondering if it would ever be over and now hard to believe that we have both passed over the one year mark and how much the new knees have help us along. Again nice to hear from you and wishing you the best Roger Holly
 
@scaredinCA
Sorry, I forgot to answer your last question. Yes, I was on a heavy pre-dose of Amoxicillin before the implant surgery, and I remained on it for 1 week. Then, a month later, I developed a small infection on the gum line (not near the implants, thankfully), so I had to go back on it again for a week.
 
@lavender
Holly, good to hear from you.
The laxity in the knee does not cause much bend problems. What it does is, as I walk and the knee is loose, it irritates the Synovium, and it gets increased fluid and swelling. Not much pain at all, but just stiffness. I also get some soreness in the MCL ligament. If I wear the knee brace, things are fine. I can do all my activities, including sailing and long walks.
I don't know why he used too small spacer. I asked him, and he said it is largely a judgement call by the Dr when you are in surgery. From what I'm reading on this forum and others, it's a fairly common mistake. So I guess it's just my bad luck...LOL. Fortunately, it's only one size too small, and not 8 sizes too small, which would be disastrous, from what I have heard.
I'm glad to hear that your Dr supports a gentle approach to rehab on you left knee. Given the problems you had on the other knee, that sounds like the way to go. I'm happy for you, and I hope it's a great outcome!
 
I completely understand Roger. I guess I was wondering if the doctor was at least accepting responsibility for it. Amazing how they can "do no wrong". And hey, if you're ok and moving around with the brace, then I say just leave it alone. Mine isn't perfect either although there's nothing wrong with the implant. I don't want anyone in there anymore unless I absolutely have to!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey Roger . Just stopping by to say hi. Im so happy you are close to finalizing your deal with the teeth implants. You described the process excellantly. As for your knee, its a wait and see, the spacer issue is unfortunate, however you can function well the way it is. Not much new with me. The knee is great! ! unfortunately at times the rest of my body is sore from physical work my whole life. I was a roofer for 5 years and now 20 years as a butcher. It takes a toll on a 50 year old. Ha !! Well great to hear you are well, best wishes , Iceman
 
I'm also one of the imperfect ones and I too don't want anyone in there fixing anything. I'm fine with what I have. I guess there are many of us who feel that way.
 
@Lauramacky
Yes, Laura, I agree. He's going to have to do a spacer exchange anyway when the spacer wears out, which may be sooner rather than later because of the laxity and all the pounding going on in there...LOL. So I might as well try to wait until then, or until things get worse. I really had to prod him to admit the mistake about the spacer. A simple laxity test (where they pick up your knee and wiggle it around) was all that was necessary to see that it is a little loose.

@icep707
Hi, Ice, good to hear from you. Glad to hear your knee is fine. Wow, a roofer. I understand that roofers have one of the highest incidence of back problems. At least it was only for 5 years.... Hope you're getting some good motorcycle rides in. The weather's been fantastic. Take care.
 
Hopefully it hasn't hindered you sailing! It's been beautiful weather. :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Somehow I thought not. :P. Good for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Roger nice to see you back for now. I understand why you do not want anyone messing around in your knee again for now one time per knee is enough more then enough. Remember after having a massage one day whe the surgeon stopped by the hall way I was waiting in before going home and I mentioned that once in a while my knee tried to almost drop down. I thought it was a sign that bending was on its way. I may be wrong but now think he mentioned something that sound like as he said that is called and thought the word was laxity. Just a mention in passing and wishing now that I had asked him to explain what he meant. I thought that the feeling was a good sign but he said it had a name and not remembering now what he called it thought that was the name after reading your post Roger that he used. Do you ever feel like your knee is trying to bend a little more on its own when you are walking does it sound familiar. I am seeing him on the 9th of September for a cortisone shot and x-ray and thinking that maybe it would be good time to ask him what he meant. Maybe not the same name but sounds familiar to me just wondering. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom