!! My knee prior to the replacement was in horrible shape. The RTKR is my FOURTH surgery on that knee, three of them have been on the same incision which has had 30+ staples each time. So you can imagine how week my Quad muscle is and how much my knee/leg has endured. PT has always been a struggle for my knee, I was stuck at 60-65 Degrees for weeks. I finally got up to 75-80 Degrees and that has been with a lot of pain and hard for me to let my hip rest when I'm trying to bend in PT. I have started Massage Therapy on that leg as well to try and help with the bend and recovery, they also have been doing ultrasound to try and help with it. My OS also has given me a brace that wraps around my quad and goes down to just above my knee that basically has the TENS machine built into it, I have 4 different settings and this also helps with pain. I did finally get to 90 Degrees last week and that was a difficult 90 Degrees to get. I saw my OS last Thursday and he has decided that an MUA is our best option right now to try and break up a lot of that scar tissue and adhesions. I'm so nervous because I have never been through anything like that before and I don't want to be set back in recovery or endure that type of pain again from what they will do to my knee. So if anyone has been in a similar situation or who has had a MUA after a replacement your feedback is much appreciated.
United Kingdom
The key to recovery is to do very little in the early stages bar gentle mobility stretches. Actual training and work that puts force through the knee should be avoided until the pain and swelling is much reduced --- and then if you do something and your knee swells, stop doing it!Last weekend I cleaned my house most of the day Saturday and then on Sunday I went to three grocery stores, etc. So my leg/knee swelled up so much I could barely move
United Kingdom
United States
United StatesDid nothing I said to you before get through to you? You got to 90 so the chances of you having any adhesions is remote. Your problem is swelling and pain, nothing more.I did finally get to 90 Degrees last week and that was a difficult 90 Degrees to get. I saw my OS last Thursday and he has decided that an MUA is our best option right now to try and break up a lot of that scar tissue and adhesions.
Yes, read the articles again. You really need to and take them on board. You are doing far, far too much.I am trying to continue with a normal life (whatever that is) so far and I am still getting extremely tired and sore. I can still only do so much at a time.
Exactly so. I couldn't do an entire house clean at 12 weeks and mine was a much easier recovery than you've had. Slow down, do less.Last weekend I cleaned my house most of the day Saturday and then on Sunday I went to three grocery stores, etc. So my leg/knee swelled up so much I could barely move and of course the pain was horrible.
Wrong, wrong! NEVER do that - it will only increase the swelling and pain.Last night I sat in a scolding hot bath just to get the muscles to loosen up and calm down.
So what? I was still taking Tramadol and paracetamol (Tylenol) 2-4 times a day at 16 weeks.I still need pain medicine to function and get through my days so that is wearing me out as well.
It might be long but only YOU can make it hard. Go easier on yourself and make it not so hard!I didn't know this process would be so long and hard.