TKR RTKR Done Looking Forward to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an OS that wants all his patients to have 120deg of flexion by week 6 or sooner. My patient is a short, thick legged man whose knee never saw 110deg in its prime. He made a T shirt that said "It's 120deg"
Every knee is different, life is therapy. You don't have to worry so much about a particular ex. Getting into and out of the car is an exercises.
Steady as you go and you will be fine.
David
 
It does Caryl but I was only going by what my sugeon and te PT in th hospital said. Now I am aware of the take it slow progress.

I am feeing it a litte today after yesterday at work so today I have taken it a bit more easier at work.

You are right there David It does take effort to get in and out of the car.
 
@jul

Good Morning,

It's Thursday, so the weekend isn't too far away and hopefully you will have lots of time on Saturday & Sunday to :chillpill: :ice: :chillpill:

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi

I am home from work leg a bit swollen so I'm on my bed elevation and icing. Just a question I'm feeling a bit irritable like I can't settle is this part of the recovery.
 
Hi @jul
Your TKR was 22 July and my LTKR was 17 July, so very close to each other.

Today is 7 weeks post-op and I am still finding it hard to settle and at times, also get frustrated that the recovery is slow, but have learned from this site that the recovery process is different for us all.

I was 100-105 Flexion on Monday with my 1-1 PT and then yesterday on Wed in my Group PT session at a big push Flexion was 98- 100 degrees !

Someday , can go up & down the stairs with moderate difficulty and then next hour or next day it is a struggle to do the same thing.

TKRs are a roller coaster of a recovery journey.
BoneSmart has been very valuable for me in my recovery and find great support here.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Swelling is not a red flag. The body is trying to adjust to it's new environment. It takes a little time, but that will end. My 2nd knee had an attitude of swelling for 6 months and all of a sudden it stopped. Also, depression and anxiety is a by product of this procedure. Even my strongest willed patients hit the wall during the recovery. Sometimes a good cry is good and not unusual.
This is why this is such a good site. We all have taken the journey. It is not always a bed of roses.
Hang in there, you make it. Stay with us.
David
 
Thanks David.
I have awoken this morning after not a real good night more due to feeling unsettled its hard to explain. I am tired very tired and I think after this week getting up for work driving and catching transport dependng how I feel has made me feel Exhausted but on the other hand as I said I feel irritated like my mind wants to do more but Physically I havnet got the energy does this make any sence. I am 6 weeks and 3 days LTKR now.

I also wanted to say I still use my crutches when Im out side but not around the house and sometimes while I am at work in my office I try not to use them is this ok is there any one else doing the same or am I being silly.

I also wanted to mention over the past 2 years and a few months I have lost my younger brother then 8 months later my younger sister then aout 3 weeks ago I lost my mum during this I have had a fractured tibia a kidney stone (thats like having a baby) then a little skin cancer removed then my poor mum finding out she was ill. She was a very strong woman and upto her last breath she didnt want to give in but god had another idea and that was the one person she was not goig to beat but she did put up one big fight and I can only wish I was strong as her.

Well Im going to cry if i keep going so I best be of as I am at work thanks goodness its the weekend.

Jul
 
@jul

You have great courage, your story brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat.

May you find peace and confirm during your recovery - you deserve it.

With kind regards,
Cathie
 
Jul,
I use crutches outside, I cannot handle long distances, and it is the only way I can get out. You are not the only one.
Condolences on the loss of your siblings and your Mom so close together. I lost my Aunt about a month after surgery and that was rough, I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you. :console2:

I plan on going to the Balloon Races in the morning, the first time since 2010, I will have my crutches and a lawn chair so I can enjoy watching the balloons. Without the crutches I could not go.
 
Hi - so sorry you are having such a rough time (((hugs)))

Re the crutches I believe that only when I am comfortable that I am confident enough and won't limp I will reduce using mine but I will carry on using two outside for quite a while. For inside if I use just one or very occasionally if I need both hands for a few steps I will do that BUT I will concentrate really hard to walk properly and not be distracted!

Shortie x
 
@jul, I am so sorry that you have been through so much in such a short time. Use. Those crutches whenever you need them, and don't try to do without just because you think you should be doing without. Having major surgery (let alone going through everything else you have gone through) does a number on your emotions. Go ahead and have a good cry, vent, complain, etc. We have big shoulders to offer you...we are great listeners and will do our best to help you through this.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I just posted this on another thread where there was a concern about ROM so I will repeat it here :

This is a nice article describing the optimal, OPTIMAL, range of motion for a variety of tasks:

https://www.eorthopod.com/content/optimal-range-of-motion-after-total-knee-replacement

I am at 120 as measured by my OS last week and I can go up and down stairs and the steepest of slopes on the golf course with absolutely no pain, not even a twinge.
 
Hi @jul I just read your post and it choked me up. Wow, you have had some really tough times in the last two years. Just remember that you are never alone on this site. There is always someone to chat to and it doesn't have to always be about recovery. You are most welcome to join in on my thread, there's always something gong on there. We chat about recovery (obviously) and then anything else that might be going on at home; eg house decorating, family events, funny things that may have happened in our daily or past lives!

Use those crutches if you need them. Don't feel pressurised to give them up too soon. You're still very early in your recovery x x x

You deserve a medal for what you have has to cope with, you truly do xox big hugs

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
@Phil75070

Hello Phil,

Thank you for the link to the ROM article, very useful.

I also get mixed up as to where I've posted or where I've read a post that I want to go back to.

So many interesting & helpful posts on this site.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone thankyou so much for your time in reading and replying to my post. Yes it's been a long 2 years and I just keep thinking get up and keep going.

After a big day returning home from work got stuck in traffic took an hour and a half to get home I was so frustrated and irritable I just plonked on my bed and layer there for a while.
Sometimes it's just a Hugh challenge for your body and mind but you just have to keep going.

I haven't been real fussed about my excises which does worry me a lot but sometimes I just don't have the energy to do them even the small ones.

Today I had to get my hair done as this has been on the back burner for a while so I did the got home again did a little excise and got on the bike to see if I can get fall rotation which I did even after I put it down I knoch so happy with that but I did do a few slides on my bed not sure of my rom but don't think its real great but I'm sure tag will come.

Can't believe the weekend is nearly over it goes so quick I think it should be a 3 day one at least once a month.

Jul
 
Hi Jul just read thru your thread. You have been going thru so much. This surgery alone is brutal without any other issues. I am so sorry to read about your siblings and mother.

I went back to work at 8 weeks but to a desk job. Fatigue was also my major issue. It took about five months for me to have my normal energy back.

I also stopped PT and exercising when I went back to work. Normal every day activity you are doing is enough exercise.

Many people suffer depression after this surgery. You have been thru a lot emotionally. Talk to you GP if you need to about this - he may be able to help.

Glad you have found us. Keep posting - it helps to talk about it!
 
Putting on psych nurse hat. When we have an emotional trauma like the death of a loved one we have to grieve and heal. This takes time. When a physical injury is repeatedly aggravated it takes longer and longer to heal. The same thing seems to happen with major emotional events like the kind of losses you have had. Each new hurt re-opens the previous grief and makes it fresh again. You haven't been able to get one death in the family sorted before getting socked with the next. Add a knee replacement and I'm impressed you can hold your head up, let alone work!

A friend, a pastor, a counselor and/or a physician who can evaluate your emotional wounds and prescribe accordingly can help. Grief is a part of life but can lead to true depression when it doesn't resolve. Trauma to the body affects the spirit and vice versa. You deserve to feel better. And, just like knee recovery, "trying harder" probably won't make you FEEL better without the right care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom