THR RTHR over thank goodness but fell this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gabs

I'd like to say that it's great that your not using any walking aid however I have to give you a tiny bit of my story and how a fall shortly after my first surgery set me up for one failed revision after another. I'm the same age as you, and have had to have 7 surgeries on the same hip because I shattered bones when I fell 8 days after the first surgery. I didn't even know how badly things were broken inside until 4 weeks after the fall when they did an x-ray which led to emergency CT scans and emergency surgery.

Please remember that one crutch or your walker will help you until your more steady on your feet when your further along in your recovery. Kindly and warmly you really shouldn't be picking up anything off the ground or anywhere else for that matter. You can end up like many I've seen on Bonesmart that did too much, too soon, and then about 4 - 8 weeks out they are on here wondering why they're so sore or not able to do more.

After a major surgery it's not all about your hip either, your whole body has been through a lot and in general even if you can walk without aid your head isn't completely clear only 6 days out of surgery, you can easily lose your balance and fall. I really hope that no one has to go through all of what I've had to so that's why I'm trying to tell you please don't risk what sounds like a successful surgery, if you can use only the one crutch then use it. It's not for that long, so it's worth not taking any risk of falling again.

My best to you, and hope you continue to do as well as you sound like your doing.
 
Thank you everyone! As usual lots of good, thoughtful advice which is extremely helpful.
Today I am really tired, slept badly last night. And when I'm tired like this, walking is more tiring too.
@Beachmusic: like your post but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the generally rude Parisians.
At least the heat has calmed down which is a blessing with these insufferable TEDs! Just wanted to rip them off my legs yesterday and today when it was way over 35 degrees!! My hatred of these inhuman torture devices is growing everyday!! To those of you who didn't have to wear them, you have no idea how lucky you are! And 6 weeks of these things sounds really excessive to me.

@Tropic Lady, your fall sounds horrendous!

No more falls for me at least and I no longer have the log leg so I can at least move it without the leg lifter, which served me well at least for the first 4-5 days. I saw a couple people askibg about these in other threads and yes, they do really help.

I do have a walker which hurts less than the crutch but it doesn't really fit in the flat except the main room.
Might go out to dinner in a restaurant across the street tonight but have to wait and see what my energy level is later.
Hugs to all!
 
Things will get easier @GabsJL. Figuring back, I think your surgery must have been on or about July 10, so you are only about 10 days out and still in the hardest part of recovery (IMHO). No good sleep, moving around still takes concentration, and you are probably still somewhat sore. Day by day all of that gets better I've found. It's slight improvement on a daily basis, but at the end of each week you see you've made a big stride over the 7 days. I'm a bit more than two weeks ahead of you, just graduated from walker to cane this week, tho still revert by the end of the day, and still have a daily sinking spell around 6PM. If there is going to be a case of the "poor me's", that's when it will happen too. Sleep is yet to be great, thanks to sleeping on back, but that is improving some. You will too...it just requires more patience with ourselves than we might be used to!

No matter where we all live, one thing that is universal: TED Hatred, and I can't begin to imagine 96° and probably no AC along with the TEDs! Still...you are in Paris. I would gladly offer a home exchange, but it would mean you coming to south central TX, where they say we will hit 100 today. It will be our first time this summer, and that in itself is something of a miracle, and at least there is central AC, so bearable. I think you just might choose to stay put, however, considering that alternative, and it can't say as I blame you! :). You walk out your door to bustling life all around you. I do too, but the life around me is 4 legged (deer) as they chow down on anything green in our yard. I'll take Paris!
 
@Beachmusic the 6pm energy sink is exactly what I've noticed and it doesn't matter if I had a nap or not...very funny.
TEDs in south central Texas sounds like utter sadism lol! It's cooled down a bit now but temps to rise again at the end of the week so I'm preparing myself to suffer!
I have a question for anyone...how soo after surgery can you go to the dentist? I cracked a tooth today on a stuoid radish and don't want it to turn into a cavity. I have very weak teeth because of bruxism so I always have to take care of these types of things right away. Can i go see a dentist not even 2 weeks post op?
Thanks in advance!
 
Yes...naps don't matter! Too funny!

You might ask your surgeon that question re your tooth. How untimely!!! I wish I had an answer, but I'd think you wouldn't want a crack there and untreated for long. It may just be a matter of filling, not a crown...hopefully. I will say, I asked my surgeon about prophylactic antibiotics before dental work, even cleaning, and he does want me taking something, even prior to cleaning. I'd meant to bring that up here before, wondering about others protocol. Good luck with that tooth! Hopefully it will be something simple still.
 
@Beachmusic I think my surgery is now on holiday or just about to go but I'll try tomorrow anyway. This cracked tooth really upsets me...why did this have to happen now for chrissakes???
 
The protocol I follow, which I believe is pretty universal, is to take 4 x 500 mg omoxycillin one hour before any dental visit, even a cleaning. I would not visit a dentist before checking this out. You might also call your dentist: my dentist offered to give me a prescription if I run out of pills and my surgeon is away.

Mark
 
@MarkK thank you I have absolutely no idea what the protocol is. I have frequently read about antibiotics before dental work but this would just involve putting resin on the tooth, probably not even any drilling. In any case I don't have any antibiotics, would need a prescription. I'll try to call my dentist tomorrow.
 
@MarkK , so you were told that too. When I questioned my surgeon about it(my dentist used to have me do it for cleanings because of MVP, then they decided that wasn't necessary) he said they used to do it, then they didn't, and now some are again saying you should, and with that indecision, he just felt it safest. I should note, my OS is extremely conservative.

@GabsJL I'll bet your dentist would happily give the prescription, rather than risk anything so soon after surgery. I agree, why now! And with a radish for heavens sake! Perhaps your surgeon has someone covering for him while he's away? Post back when you get this worked out. I'll be curious to know how it is handled.

You might get a more definitive answer here too by tagging Josephine?
 
@Beachmusic thanks again. I was in good spirits and happy with how things were going and now I'm heading for depression...because of a cracked tooth!

@Josephine I was wondering if I could go see a dentist because, as you can read above, I cracked a tooth on a radish yesterday and don't want to leave it because it will turn into a cavity. It's an incisor so ut shows! I'm going to try to reach my surgeon today or an9ther surgeon if mine is on holiday, but I need to get this resolved quickly. ..can't wait weeks.
 
Hi there Gabrielle @GabsJL - sorry about your tooth but pleased your doing well. I also know about that energy drain - it seems to hit all of a sudden doesn't it? Keep up the great recovery and I hope you get that dental stuff sorted out quickly!
 
Thanks for writing here too Bill @fulafoto. .. Got the tooth sorted out Wednesday so I'm happy! Went out to dinner Friday not far from hime but still was great to get out and rejoin the "living"! Still no pain (knock on wood) but my incision is now without a bandage so sometimes it pulls a bit but nothing serious. I still use 1 crutch when I go out but it's starting to become a nuisance but I guess it's still a bit soon to walk without it (even though it's tempting!). Mayve after the 3rd week (this Thursday) I'll have a go without the crutch. Haven't put pn my TEDs in 2 days...feels great...but I'll put them on tomorrow I guess yuck.... Planning to start going further frpm home everyday like taking the bus, going shopping etc. We'll see how it goes! Hugs to all!
 
@GabsJL, so happy you are healing so well !! I'm getting out of hospital today and I know it will be so nice to be lazy at our home!!

Crazy tooth issue but sound like you've handled it. Glad you got it fixed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal You sound like you're on your way to a quick recovery too! Going home is the start of a new life...feeling better and better every single day! Best of luck and looking firward to your updates!
 
Gabs you are doing amazingly well! I looked back to see when your surgery was, seeing that you are thinking of ditching the crutch, and figure it was July 10, but you were even doing some walking without it just a week out, and you had no restrictions. I'm guessing you had a direct anterior approach? The more I hear about people's progress with that surgery the surer I am that if there ever is a second surgery in my future, that will be the method.

I know what you mean about rejoining the living. I even look forward to the grocery store. :). How pathetic is that!! I smiled at your rush hour Metro ride...I had to get from Vendôme to St Germaine des Prés at rush hour once and swear, a corpse could have remained upright in that crush of bodies!! Glad your tooth is fixed!
 
@Beachmusic Yes I had an anterior approach...I guess it was direct anterior...some people say "direct" anterior others just anterior. On my hospital report that I got in the mail, it said anterior with a synovectomy before (RA related). In any case my incision is on my upper thigh, slightly diagonal on the outer part. However, in addition to the approach used, I think the skill of the surgeon is also a major factor for a quick recovery. When you think of all the cutting, chopping and shoving around that goes on around in your hip, the surgeon better know what he's doing and be very experienced. I don't want to be one of those people who brags about their "fabulous" surgeon, but I have to say he must really be good to have me feeling so good so soon. I'll have to send him a thank you email when he gets back from his well-deserved vacation! I was extremely lucky to get him because of a last-minute cancellation because you usually have to wait 3-4 months to get an appointment with him.
And no restrictions just being careful and not bending too much if it hurts...but if it doesn't hurt go for it! I was told I could wear heels as soon as I felt "stable" walking which hopefully will be soon! So far my left unoperated hip seems to be in pretty good shape, but if I need to get it done later, I definitely want the same surgeon. Rush hour during July and August is not as bad as the rest of the year, but it's still crowded and I did stress a bit...but it was fine. Can't wait to go out tomorrow! !!
 
[Bonesmart.org] RTHR over thank goodness but fell this morning
@GabsJL, we are requesting that you put your surgery date in your signature, as well as what surgery you had (i.e., LTKR, RTHR). You can find the instructions here: How to create a signature. This information is very helpful and necessary when answering your questions and concerns.

Please also remember that our membership is international and for clarity use the International Date system being Jan. 10, 2014 or 10 Jan. 2014 rather than 1/10/14 or 10/1/14.

Thanks so much for your cooperation.
 
Ok @bottomshollow I had looked before at how to put in a signature but the page doesn't look the same on my android phone as in the instructions. I have to get my laptop out and have a look.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom