THR RTHR over thank goodness but fell this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, @GabsJL. Sorry to put you to so much trouble. I think things like this are being addressed in our next forum update.
 
Gabs my scar is really at the side of my hip, but the approach for mine was called anterolateral. Direct anterior, (to the best of my knowledge), comes with fewer restrictions than I had (and still have), and is more to the front than mine. Weren't you lucky with that cancellation!! I think my surgeon is good too...no pain, no bruising, is pretty incredible considering the process, but I'm just bummed at the restrictions, and champing at the bit to get back to my old life. That said, I can have days I feel I'm not progressing, then suddenly, like yesterday, feel really good, stabile and strong, and maybe ready to toss the cane. In the scheme of things, this really isn't a long time to be laid up, considering what has happened, and it will all be back in due time...minus any pain! Today my 6 and 9 year old grandkids arrive for a 4 day visit and that should fix all this impatience pronto. I might be longing to get my cabin fever back by the end. :)
 
@Beachmusic How's it going with your grandkids? Hope you're not overdoing it! I overdid it yesterday by walking far too much and taking the subway twice with tons of stairs...really felt exhausted last night! Now I understand what people say here about paying for their excesses lol. Not painful just a very tired leg..
You scar is not like mine...I was a bit unclear as my incision is in the front of my thigh but towards the edge. Does the area around your scar feel numb? Mine does and it's a very strange sensation.
Glad you have no bruising since Ive seen a few scar pics here where the whole leg and even more us completely purple yikes!
Take care and take it slow!
 
The scar area numbness and hardness are pretty normal for THR. At least I can vouch for anterior method. My LTHR took about 2-3 months for the scar area to be 'soft' and about 12-15 months for the numbness to mostly go away -- it is now the size of a penny, and I do not notice it. My recent RTHR scar has the hard to the touch surface, my physical therapist told me to massage it myself in a round motion to break up the scar tissue. The numbness on my right thigh is not 'on' the scar, it is below the scar, it has gotten smaller. I think it will eventually disappear more or less also.

My surgeon is very clear with directions, so I had written instructions for everything, about 10 pages worth. And they were worth studying. In the case of using the TEDs, I was instructed to use them 18 hours per day, off during times when I was walking around or a bit active, but on during the night. As it turned out, he changed the protocol for clots, so I injected myself for a month with Lovonox. (there were clear directions for that, although I had two nurses show me how to inject it before I started myself). Last time (LTHR), 20 months ago, I took a small new pill, but they are not in favor so much with my doctor at least. He told me that aspirin plus TEDs or Lovonox alone were more suitable to prevent clots.

That's about it. I am almost exactly 5 full weeks over my RTHR, and I've had my third outpatient PT session (after about 8 in my home). I see my surgeon for the first time next Weds. I am doing so well, walking with almost no pain and no help. This miserable hip stuff will hopefully soon be an unpleasant memory.

Good luck to you.
 
Thanks @MarkK you are doing so well and it's really encouraging! The area around my scar feels "lumpy" inside and I see there's even a build-up of this same hard mass on the outside of my thigh...very strange. Your PT says it's scar tissue in your case so perhaps that's what it is. I can't massage it myself because my elbows hurt too much but I'm goibg back to my PT tomorrow so I'll ask him about it. It's not painful, just feels very strange.
I was given Xeralto as an anti - coagulant and it seems OK. I didn't wear my TEDs yesterday but have them on today. 18 hours a day sounds like a lot even though not when you were active. It's incredible the greatly diverging protocols doctors have for the identical surgery.
You are doing great for 5 weeks bur I guess already having the surgery helps to know what to do and what to avoid.
I'll be celebrating 3 weeks post-of tomorrow which have been 3 weeks pain free truly amazing.
Take care and keep on doing so well!
 
My surgeon is clearly an organized and disciplined guy. However when I got my pre-op 'packet' the first time, it included information on using Lovonox shots to prevent blood clots. Then by the time I had the operation and got home, I found that my prescription was for the new pills (I think I took xaralto). No TEDs. The second time, this June, the written pre-op said Lovonox again, but the verbal instructions indicated I would use aspirin and TEDs. When I got home, I was given the prescription for Lovonox. So I never used TEDs.

I think that a good surgeon is always looking at the latest research and making changes based on that. In fact, he told me a month before surgery that the research favored Lovonox or Aspirin/TEDs over the new pills. I also think the doctors are very worried about clots for the first month, more than anything. And since there is no clear answer, doctors' protocols are different.

Keep up the good healing!
 
The area around my scar feels "lumpy" inside and I see there's even a build-up of this same hard mass on the outside of my thigh...very strange.
Hi there Gabrielle; I have exactly the same feeling along the scar and lumpy describes it perfectly. I spoke to my GP today about it and she suggested rubbing Vitamin E cream along the length of it and on both sides rubbing along it and not across it if you know what I mean.
 
@MarkK TEDs you were lucky! It sounds like TEDs are just an extra precautionary measure but as many have said here before, their effectiveness is under debate. I have read a bit about Xarelto and it was developed specifically for hip and knee replacements. I wonder if it is not so commonly prescribed in the US (seems most people here from the US have something other than Xarelto) because it is not manufactured by an American pharmaceutical lab. Pharmaceutical labs have a lot of clout as we all know...
I have absolutely no side effects from it (if that's comlon with blood thinners) so it's fine for me and is what my surgeon prescribed.
Your surgeon does sound to be on top of things so you're to follow his instructions to the letter!
 
@fulafoto Bill the vitamin E sounds good I'll have to give it a try. The nurse that used to come to change my bandage told le to get one the creams made for scars (several here in France ( and massage it into the scar. I'm just worried that putting something over the scar when there's still a scab might cause an infection...or am I worrying needlessly?
 
@Poppet thank you for the link! I'm a big fan of coconut oul anyway, especially having lived in Hawaii where they use coconut oil for just about everything! So I was right to worry about the scabs...I'll definitely wait before putting anything on the scar...it won't be too long of a wait.
 
@GabsJL That was one thing my GP was particular about actually - only along the outside of the area where there is still scabs and not on the scabs.
@Poppet - coconut oil? I will have to get some myself - you're such a mine of information :)
 
@fulafoto yes I'll start putting some on around the scar but since my arms are so stiff and deformed I'm afraid I'll slip and get some on the scabs by accident lol
 
Hi there Gabrielle; I have exactly the same feeling along the scar and lumpy describes it perfectly. I spoke to my GP today about it and she suggested rubbing Vitamin E cream along the length of it and on both sides rubbing along it and not across it if you know what I mean.


That is EXACTLY what my surgeon suggested as well. I plan to get some today. :)
 
My grandchildren are visiting so I've been scarce since they arrived. They are sleeping currently...the house is ever so quiet!

Gabs, yes, as Mark already indicated, there is numbness in a pretty large area in my thigh. I had a hernia repair a couple years ago and was startled by the same thing. That has now completely resolved, so I am sure this will too.

My OS recommended rubbing vitamin E cream on the scar as well, or coconut oil, either/or. I have no scabs but haven't started that yet. I have a Costco sized jar of coconut oil, but of course, at our FL condo, not here. I find that a little messy tho..don't you? My iPad certainly gets all smeary if I use it too quickly after using the oil. Lots of people swear by it tho, for any number of things, including a hair conditioner.

Isn't xarelto what we are beginning to see advertised on TV here just recently? I will have to pay more attention (usually around nightly nat'l news time) tonight, but I think so. It's so nice to see some ad other than those darned side by side bathtubs out in a field!!
 
About Xarelto: I do not think it has to do with where it comes from, since most of the pharmas are international anyway. I think that some research shows that aspirin might be equally as good, and I believe that Lovonox is probably better, but Lovonox has the problem of needing to be self-injected, which many people might have problems with. But it seems we are all past the clotting stage, so time for a drink.
 
Absolutely right @MarkK I wouldn't like injecting myself not because I'm afraid of needles but probably would have trouble because of painful elbows. And cheers to you, almost finished my glass of wine!

@Beachmusic that's reassuring if you say that it resolved by itself...I've never had anything like this before so that's why I'm not sure what to do.
 
Coconut oil is my preferred option as I know it has so many wonderful benefits. One only needs a very small amount and if you wash your hands after it should smear your iPad. I use an iPad all the time and don't experience that. However, use what ever you feel comfortable with..
 
Just ordered some virgin coconut oil @Poppet. I know it can be a bit greasy but so are all oils. I agree it has some many uses and contains so many good things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom