THR RTHR over thank goodness but fell this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thought of you walking the streets of Paris now pain-free makes me smile!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks again Bill @fulafoto ! And @beachgal you sound like you're doing very well for 12 days post-op!

Today is 4 weeks post-op for me and I feel very well. I go out now without a cane and seem to be walking normally or almost normally, although I still feel like the operated leg drags a bit but maybe it's my imagination. My PT says I don't limp at all. I still do take my elbow crutch (has more of an effect than a cane in the subway and I usually get a seat lol!) when I go far. I did my first shopping excursion last Saturday and spent over 4 hours shopping. The crutch was a pain because it kept falling whenever I looked at something, but I was glad a took it because I started to feel really tired near the end, but no pain.

I again really hesitate to write this, because so many people here are having a difficult time, but I have not had 1 single day of pain since my surgery (except RA pain unrelated to surgery), never took a single narcotic paid med (just Tylenol or paracetomol in Europe, but was taking that long before my hip problem for RA), therefore never constipated, and can bend over and do a lot of things that I stopped doing because of the hip pain pre-op.
However, I still don't sleep all that great because it takes me a very long time to fall asleep, but perhaps that will resolve eventually. I'm sleeping on my non-operated side and my back...haven't tried the operated side yet.

I hope those of you who are in pain don't think I'm gloating, but perhaps my rather quick, painless recovery will be encouraging for those about to have surgery or are undecided about it. I didn't wait too long to have the surgery, so perhaps that's a factor. I started having hip pain on Nov. 30, 2012 (remember that date!), limped severely from about Feb. 2014 with horrible bone on bone pain, and had the surgery on July 10, 2014. Perhaps the several decades of dance (pro in my 20s) also helped, don't know.

I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks in Spain next Friday, so I'll get to test walking on the sand. My PT has shown me how to get down on my beach towel and back up...not very graceful lol but so what! Not sure about going in the water, but my scar is healing nicely with no scabs left, but I'm not supposed to expose it to the sun.
Mostly worried about the long distances in the airport and getting up the stairs to get on the plane. I definitely plan to have my cane.

So, that's the update for now. The only cloud on the horizon is that I have to go back to the dentist today aarrrgh![emoji6]
 
Oh @GabsJL that is a wonderful report and no never feel as though you are gloating. It does mean a lot to those leading up to surgery and we are just so very happy for you to be doing so well. As far as not limping that is fantastic at this early stage and the elbow crutch does sure help a lot more than a cane I have also found.
Please keep us updated on your progress and how you are progressing! I hope you continue to go ahead in leaps and bounds!
Oh - and all the best with the dentist too :)
 
Greetings everyone! I haven't been on here in a while... I'm 5 weeks and 4 days out and on holiday in Minorca (Balaeric island in Spain) and so far so good! No problems at the airport even though there was a lot of walking. I had my cane though even though I didn't need it and it was a very useful prop hehe...we got to board first and they didn't hassle us about the 2 carry-ons. Have been to the beach 3 days now and even though it's a bit complicated to get down on my towel and especially back up (and about as graceful as an elephant in a tutu) no pain at all. Went in the water yesterday...the transparent turquoise water was just too tempting... and kind of paddled around (my surgeon said no swimming before 3 months which I still don't understand), but I felt fine. I'm just so thrilled to get away from the nasty Parisians and be in such a beautiful spot. Even wore heels to dinner last night (about 5-6cm not too high) and a short walk and drink afterwards, and felt absolutely great. I'm not going to push my luck but we might try to walk farther today to a more secluded beach. Walking on the sand seems OK too. Nobody tell my surgeon of course! Saw some French people today (ugh!!) in the elevator today, but I guess you can't have everything..
Another 11 days to go, so hopefully everything will keep going well!
Hope everyone is recovering nicely!
 
Hiya @GabsJL and yes - coming up for 6 weeks for us!!!! And look at you walking on sand at the beach! WOW - just WOW!!!!! I had a go at it with crutches and failed miserably pain wise but I will get there for sure! You are doing sensationally well my friend and no - wont mention a word to your surgeon :heehee::heehee: So pleased your enjoying your holiday as I am here!
 
Enjoy your holiday! So happy for you!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds wonderful, all of it, including boarding first! :thumb: Come back and chat when vacation is over. I am very curious to know how you got down to your beach towel!

PS I don't blame you for going in! That clear turquoise water would be too much temptation for me for sure!!
 
Glad you are having a great time. I think the swimming thing is due to 1) infection concerns, and 2) strong waves that could twist you unexpectedly. That said, if your incision is healed and you are in calm waters, I think you are good to go. Have a lovely time - it sounds heavenly!! :swim:
 
Well 2 days ago we walked to a more secluded beach on a tiny trail with sand, rocks and old tree trunks (30 min walk) with lots of going up and down and then a long walk in deep sand, and I made it there and back phew! However, yesterday morning woke up with a strange pain, the first pain since my surgery, almost near the coccyx, that got worse. Even felt pain down to my tibia yikes! That really frightened me because I went to the flea market yesterday morning and was slightly limping. Today, miraculously pain all gone, so I will be taking it slow today. So true about overdoing it....you do pay for it!
@Beachmusic My PT showed me how to get down down and up from my beach towel. To get down, get down on your knees, operated leg first, and then on all fours, gently turn with knees bent to get on your back. To get up, on knees again, using your good leg to push up. Very clumsy-looking and people always look at me to see what the heck i'm doing, but who cares, it works! But takes a bit of time to do...
 
Thanks @GabsJL! I can see that working, but can see too it might appear a bit awkward, which is no big whuh in the scheme of things. It is great you are able to do this and enjoy your beach time. (Which sounds pretty darned fantastic by the way!)

"Very clumsy-looking and people always look at me to see what the heck i'm doing, but who cares, it works! But takes a bit of time to do..." Thanks for that chuckle! I can picture that scene. I'll be trying it out come November, but maybe by then I'll have been released from these restrictions too.

Hope the rest of your holiday goes as swimmingly. Have fun, and report back when you get home!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom