TKR Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a step toward normal to be able to do it again and not be totally dependent on my husband.
Yes---this is a step---possibly a small one, but a step all the same---toward normalcy.

Try a spin around the block like you said, I think you will acclimate quickly
I did much the same---my first time back behind the wheel was running a few errands around town, and by the end (1/2 hour) I was wiped out---but it felt great to be behind the wheel again!
 
@Second Time Around, It will be so nice to be able to go places without having to check my husbands schedule. (He works from home.) I am looking forward to driving myself to physical therapy tomorrow. Hope my knee doesn't give me any trouble!

@referee54, I will take anything I can get toward normalcy, no matter how small it is. I ate a normal dinner tonight and I felt like that was progress. It takes so little to make me happy!
 
@Second Time Around, I did it! Drove around the block this morning with no problem. Next, driving to p/t this afternoon! My husband gets a break.
 
@Texan, @Second Time Around, my RTKR was June 10th and I'm going to drive for the first time today. I'm very excited about gaining some independence. I think this is a huge step for us. I'm going to try to keep it simple, no walking around, just two appointments. One is to my acupuncturist, and I'm hoping hoping hoping that she can help with this nerve pain that I'm having. I partially credit her for my remarkably fast initial recovery.
Just drove around the block with my husband, it felt very natural......I'm good to go.
 
@sf-slim You go girl! I hope your acupuncturist can give you some relief and help you regain some control over your recovery.

The acupuncturist knew right away which nerve and how to deal with it. I know now that she is going to be a big help.
I'm impressed that you are driving after three weeks. Although I was sure I could have, if it hadn't been for the nerve setback. My OS is very conservative. His formula is four weeks for LTKR and six for right.
So I didn't ask him.
 
I say anything that helps you should try. I have never tried an acupuncturist or a chiropractor, but I am considering a chiropractor right now. I am really having sciatica problems or hamstring or IT band problems right now with the leg. I had the same thing with my other leg when I had the left TKR and did not go to anyone; it took many months before it finally went away. So far, the only thing that helps is a heating pad. My PT seems to think it is a lower back problem and that makes me think because my gait is so off, that could be what it is.

As for driving, I can see how especially with the right leg there would be a concern with driving too early. The most difficult thing about driving for me is getting out of the car though, not the actual driving!
 
The acupuncture sounds great. I did it several years ago and found it very helpful and very peaceful. Almost the opposite of chiropractor. When I have my left knee done I am going to try massage therapy as I have a friend who is doing this. With so many people needing muscle relaxers after surgery I do not know why it isn't recommended more. I have a lot of back issues and found my heating pad to be my backs best friend. Let us know how you are doing.
 
Have been having stomach issues the last 3 or 4 days. I'm pretty sure it is from the pain meds. I quit taking them 2 nights ago and started the BRAT diet to give my stomach a break.

Had physical therapy today and my therapist told me I am doing too much at home. (He told me to put that on BoneSmart! Hahaha) I have been riding my stationary bike for 5 to 8 minutes at a time, 5 times a day. My knee is stiff, loosens up after riding a couple of minutes, but the next time I get on the bike, it is just as stiff as the first time I got on. Getting really tired of this. I've been through it before and I know it takes time, but I am so over this recovery business. I'm ready to move on!:biking:
 
Oh Texan, your post could have been written by me! :iagree: I am at that same point, only you need to add some tears in for good measure. Nothing about this TKR is remotely the same as the first one. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my surgery and I am so far from where I was the last time. The last time at 4 weeks, I returned to work, and at 7 weeks I went to Europe on a cruise! Now I am in pain, and everything I try to do is overdoing it!

Feeling old :old:
 
@Second Time Around, I left out the crying at my neighbors house today and totally embarrassing myself. Didn't want to sound too negative.:rotfl: What is so crazy is that my ROM is much better with this one than the last. I was at 75 degrees the day after surgery compared to 65 degrees at week 3 on the first one. Just a pity party kind of day. My stomach issues have me stressed out AND I went to bed at midnight last night, was still awake at 1:30 and up for the day at 4:30 a.m. Couldn't get comfortable. Hope tonight is better.
 
I hope you were able to rest last night! I have been taking Zzzzz about an hour before bedtime to help me sleep. I don't take a full dosage, I take about 1/3 to 1/2 of a dose and it has really helped me get some rest! If only the shooting pain didn't wake me up, I am sure I could sleep through the night. I switched my timing for meds and now take them at midnight and can actually sleep 6 hours (with a few interruptions, but I am not up for hours). I think that one of the best ways to heal is to get restful sleep.:sleep:

I can definitely relate to your stomach problems as well. I really ruined my stomach taking NSAIDs for a very long time with my first TKR. When I started having problems with this knee (it started to get really bad in April, so just a few months ago!) and my OS suggested I take Tylenol and 600 mg of ibuprofen, I shuddered. One of the things that helped me was to always eat something before the ibuprofen and I had to completely cut out any foods that were in any way spicy. No hot peppers, no Mexican or Southwest, nothing that might bug my stomach. I still get a little bit of a stomachache, but it's tolerable.

Unfortunately, I am still taking ibuprofen as I am already at the max for Tylenol and I do feel it helps with inflammation. At night, I take the ibuprofen with 2 or 3 Tums and some almonds, which really do a nice job calming down my stomach.

I decided I am going to go to PT today, but no bike. I am sure there are other things I can do that won't hurt me. The swelling is down and I am laying low until the session.

I hope your day is a good one Texan!
 
I quit taking them 2 nights ago and started the BRAT diet to give my stomach a break.
Good thing you put that in capitals--in my neck of the woods I'd be thinking *bratwurst* diet. :heehee:

Had physical therapy today and my therapist told me I am doing too much at home. (He told me to put that on BoneSmart! Hahaha) I have been riding my stationary bike for 5 to 8 minutes at a time, 5 times a day. My knee is stiff, loosens up after riding a couple of minutes, but the next time I get on the bike, it is just as stiff as the first time I got on. Getting really tired of this. I've been through it before and I know it takes time, but I am so over this recovery business. I'm ready to move on!:biking:
I hear you. I think 5 times a day is definitely too much. Maybe twice?
 
good luck @Texan, hope your pain is under control and you are feeling better. I consider you very brave, going back for round 2. Don't know if I could ever do that.
 
@Second Time Around, I took a Lunesta last night and slept really well. What a difference that makes in attitude! I got my hair cut today and went to the grocery store for a few things (used the electric cart). Haven't used the bike yet today. My knee is feeling better. Icing and elevating now.

@Second Time Around, A nurse friend of mine told me to drink milk and eat toast before taking my meds. I don't like milk but I could go for a bowl of chocolate ice cream! I've started eating toast before all meds to see if that will help. Another neighbor brought me a big bottle of Tums so I might try that since it helps you. I really hate those things though. Is Zzzzzz the same as Zquil?

@kneeper, I think a bratwurst would kill me right now!!! My therapist told me to ride the bike no more than twice a day, too.
 
I hope your stomach settles down soon.
 
@Ginglebot, After I had my first TKR, I told my husband I wouldn't have the other knee done. Then your TKR starts feeling good and you become more active. THEN, the non-surgical knee starts hurting really bad and you think you can do it again. I am not brave at all. Just got really tired of all of the bone on bone pain. You will start feeling better and know what I mean. I see from your signature that you have really been through a rough time. How are you doing now?
 
@kneeper, So do I. I've been really hungry but I'm sticking to the bananas, rice, apples, and toast. Did add a little piece of boiled chicken breast just because I am so hungry. Stomach still upset.
 
If anyone has to have an IVC (inferior vena cava) filter before surgery, when they go to remove it and ask if you want sedation, say yes. They told me it was a minor procedure, and it may be, but I don't ever want to be awake for that again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom