Today was a better day. Had a little nausea. Suffering from constipation. Taking Dulcolax, drinking lots of water, eating lots of fruit. My sister-in-law got a Vita-mix for Christmas so she is making a smoothie for me for breakfast tomorrow. Hope it helps. Need some relief here!
So glad that you are home and doing well. Mother Nature will take care of most issues, but it is good that you are helping her along. Wishes for a smooth recovery.
@Junebug2, The smoothie was delicious but still no activity happening! My sister-in-law also made chicken tortilla soup with her Vita-mix. Lots of vegetables and very tasty. I took the last of my Dulcolax today. I have Miralax to start tomorrow if nothing happens before then. I remember someone posting that they laid a dinosaur egg when they finally went. So funny!
Thanks to @Old Texan for your well wishes. How are you doing?
@Texan....by now I hope things are moving along nicely. How are you doing. My niece is having reconstruction surgery today on her ACL, MCL and menisicus. I dont know what all is involved but my advice to her was "stool softeners" How is the left knee ?
@Junebug2, Everything is great with me!!! I hope your niece does well today and you are right, stool softeners are the key. It is funny you asked about my right knee. Since surgery, I don't even think about that knee. I guess it is doing pretty well! How are you doing?
So glad you are doing great...I can just imagine how it feels to have both your knees bk in business .My niece was home by lunch..She is 25 and athletic. She tore evry thing playing soccer.
I am ok, still have tightness and stiffness . I take2 Tylenol extra strength before bed. Im pretty much doing everthing but with spurts...seems the energy drains are still lurking...
Texan, I keep replying to you, but I push the wrong button and loose my reply. I am very glad that you are doing well; please check my thread. I've had quite a time. :'(
I had my first outpatient physical therapy today at day 8 of recovery. Extension was 20 degrees and flexion 90 degrees. I'm thrilled with the flexion since I was at 3 or 4 weeks before I got to 90 the last time. Concerned about the extension. It was 6 at 3 weeks on the first one. Very painful trying to straighten it out today.
Sounds like you are doing pretty well @Texan. Your flexion is great at this stage too! The extension will come - just keep working at it. I see that you are comparing your first and second surgery recoveries. It is good to know what to expect eh? I have my second one in two weeks - 8 weeks after the first one. I know there are some things that I will do differently this time.
@71Beetle, You can't help but compare when you have two TKR. haha I think knowing what to expect has made a lot of difference this time. You are having your second TKR really soon after your first. I don't think my husband could have handled that! He thinks this one is much easier, also. Good luck on your surgery and I will be watching to see how you are doing.
@Texan stool softeners didn't help my husband much, but prune juice did the trick. He makes an awful face while drinking it! I wish you a speedy recovery.
@msmechanic58, Maybe if they put your 2 legs together, you could have one good leg! Your are a much braver person than me. Having one at a time is somewhat overwhelming to me.
@tiredwife, The combo of stool softeners and smoothies did the trick for me. I have started eating a lot of fruit everyday if I don't have the smoothie. It is good to see a caregiver on here. I am sure you are a tired wife! I try not to be too demanding but it is very frustrating to get somewhere and realize something you need is in another room. My walker doesn't have a basket on it so I can carry things, so I am at his mercy.
@Texan I'm on here because we needed to be prepared for my husband's LTKR, and he was afraid of what he might find out. I was able to tell him just what he needed to be prepared. Now at a little more than 3 weeks out, he needs me to do very little for him - mainly drive (him being a typical male he hates to be a passenger in a car, he would rather drive) .
He mainly uses a cane to get around, and sometimes not even that (in the house). He uses his cane for alot. He uses it (by hooking the handle on his arch of his foot) to raise and lower his leg, that is how he usually does his straight leg stretches. He starts his out patient PT the 25th. I think we will take a little cooler with his icepacks with us, so he can ice on the way home. PT is in a town 10 miles from us.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
@tiredwife, That is a good idea to take ice packs with you to P/T. Some days I want ice immediately and other days I am ok for awhile. It is better to be prepared.
Our physio supplies the ice and has you sit for 10 minutes with it on your knee before you leave. I had calf pain last week really bad and they brought me a wonderful warm compress. Loosened me up a lot before I started the exercises. This is at group therapy at the hospital where I had my surgery. They are a good lot there - they put on 60's and 70's music while we go through the routines and really encourage us. I love them.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.