Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in on you, Texan! Were you able to start PT today? Please don't rush things. Keep ahead of the pain and listen to your knee. Hoping this recovery is smooth sailing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Hi Texan! How great to read that this one has been a bit easier for you. Continued prayers for healing mercies for you. Be anxious for nothing! Let your requests be made known unto God! Hoo boy, hard to do sometimes. My left knee doing okay. Sometimes I try to rush the healing. 31 days until the right one gets her shot at the title. I want to, but then again, I don't. <3


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@Caloparker, I started therapy Thursday. We didn't do much. A few stretches. Tried to get my knee to straighten.

Started crying out of the blue today. I had so hoped I would escape that this time. My knee is really tight today but not terribly painful. My guess is the narcotic blues.:bawl:

Cindy
 
Hi Texan, glad you're feeling good:) I'm feeling better too. Just have some other issues unfortunately.
 
Oh just saw your post about crying the blues.....I agree...... Unfortunately I couldn't take any pain medication. So I don't know if it's narcotic blues or just plain old getting your knee replaced blues!
 
I hope all is well. I know I didn't have the energy or presence of mind to post anything the first week plus. May your rest be comfortable and healing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
My therapist also provided ice pack andat least15 minsof rest time before I left.. I always left with the bag and iced on theway home.

@Texan, I would be comparing my TKR. I dont think one can help it. So glad things are easier this time.
 
I think the pain meds where the cause of my blues and insomnia. Hope your day is brighter..
 
@Las Vegas Grandmom, I'm sorry you can't take meds. You have to be a very strong person! My son and daughter-in-law came for the weekend and that boosted my spirits. Hated for them to go home. I get stitches out Tuesday and am looking forward to that.
 
Stitches were removed this morning. Surgeon was happy with my ROM. He never measures anything, just eyeballs it. P/T this afternoon. Therapist was very happy with my progress. He didn't measure but said he could tell it is straighter than it was last Thursday. I am feeling so much better than I did with my first recovery. The meds made me so sick I couldn't eat, therefore I had no energy. I am taking a different medication this time that doesn't make me sick so I am eating regularly. Amazing how much energy you have when you eat!!!:yes:
 
Stitch removal is a good milestone. It is great that your OS and PT are both happy with your ROM. I hope my 2nd one goes as well as yours is! Good meds that don't make you sick would be a big contributor to that I imagine.
 
@71Beetle, I thought my recovery was pretty easy last time even though I was extremely nauseated. This time is sooo much better. I'm still ready for this recovery to be over, but it is better. Hope you are doing well.
 
@71Beetle, Hahaha! I don't feel like there is anything inspiring about my recovery, but thank you, nonetheless!

Cindy
 
Just makes life easier...so happy for you.
 
Hi @Texan - how are you doing? Are you finding a big difference with this surgery compared to your first surgery? I have my next one on Thursday so would like to hear from those that know.
 
@71Beetle, I am doing better with the second TKR than the first. I think a lot of it has to do with knowing what to expect. It has been harder for me to straighten the second knee but I couldn't straighten it before the surgery so it wasn't really a surprise. Just a little more work. I looked at some notes I made after the first surgery and I seem to be a little further along as far as ROM this time around. A big difference has been that the pain meds I am taking this time don't make me so sick. I was so sick the first time that I couldn't eat. Much better this time, able to eat and have energy. One thing that isn't different is that I am ready to be back to normal.:)
 
@Texan - pleased to hear that the meds were better this time around. I am the same as you with regards to getting back to normal. I am not excited for the surgery but I am certainly excited about recovering from it an getting back to "normal", whatever normal is. :)
 
@71Beetle, I spoke too soon about the meds not making me sick. Nausea started yesterday evening so I was afraid to take my pain meds last night. Going through the "nothing appeals to me" food problem again. I cannot go through the not eating episode again.
 
@Texan, protein is the most important thing to get your muscles and bones healing. Can you handle drinking protein shakes? I mix vanilla protein shakes with water and fresh berries and ice (or frozen berries if I have not got out to get fresh). You don't have to have a lot but at least you know you are getting the nutrients you need and it tastes like a smoothie.

My mom is on pain killers for her spinal stenosis and other nerve issues and she has lost 20 pounds as she is just not hungry. When we had brunch yesterday she left eggs on her plate but ate her toast and sausages. I recommended that she start with the protein at every meal so when she gets full (which she does quickly) at least she will have the protein her body needs.

I was eating half the portion sizes when I was first on meds but unfortunately, I did not lose an ounce. :shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom