Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round 2, RTKR, a new journey and hope

You will be surprised how fast you start to do better in the next 6 weeks. Hang in there!
 
I think I am stressing out because I am worried that my knee will not be recovered enough...I guess I am being a bit anxious. There is still a lot of time and progress to take place.
One day at a time, this is what I need to remember!
That is a great attitude----there is indeed a lot of time, and six weeks will be a long stretch for you to move forward.

I returned to the classroom at eight weeks post-BTKR, and while it was too early, I handled it ( I did not have any choice...:scratch:) I am sure that the next six weeks for you will be quite beneficial and that your return to work will be just fine. You will get through it!
 
Going for a Baryum x-ray tomorrow morning. Before my TKR I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia type 3. Which kind of explain my stomach and digestive problems I have been having for years. I have to fast before the test, so no pain pills. Lets see how the morning goes...a lot of walking in hospital... :(
 
It's only just over a month since your surgery. Can you ask for a wheelchair in the hospital?
 
I was planning on taking my walking that has 4 wheels and a seat. My hubby will drop me off so I'll be on my own.
 
I am back! it went well! But the diagnosis remains, so there is another surgery in view probably over the year! No fun!

My knee is doing good, I am amazed. I could not take my med this morning because of the test so I took an Aleve at 11pm last night. Since the effect is for 12 hours, it would take me into the morning. I can confirm that it is inflammation that is causing most of my pain because this morning, my knee had light inflammation and I had almost no pain. I might just try to cut further the Narcotics, I think I would be good with tylenol arthritis ( last 8 hours). Maybe the occasional pain pill if I get in pain trouble!

My right knee is so much nicer than the left was!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that your knee is doing so well. That's great news. I had a hiatal hernia over 30 years ago and had surgery for that and basically have had very little problems since then. For me the pain of a TKR was far more painful and I had the other surgery as an old fashion one not laporscopic as they can do now.
 
@newlybionic
How long was your recovery for the hernia? Did you have reflux? Did that stop right after the surgery?
 
I had an open incision so it took longer to heal. The reflux stopped immediately after the surgery. My reflux was so bad before that I couldn't even drink water without being in extreme pain.
 
@Creation
If you're thinking of using Tylenol (Acetaminophen) as a pain reliever when you come off the narcotics, the effective dose is 1,000 mg (1G) four times a day (4-6 hourly) to a daily total of 4,000 mg (4G) in 24 hours. If any of your other medications contain Tylenol, factor that into your calculations of daily dosage as well.
You'll need to take the Tylenol regularly at first, so you keep a constant level in your bloodstream.

When coming off the narcotics, cut back gradually. Don't do it "cold turkey". Tramadol is a useful step-down drug that your doctors might prescribe for you. You'd need to taper down the dosage of that as well.
 
Thank you Celle for your good advice!

On another note..the stupid barium chalky mix for yesterday's test gives constipation. I had manage to get myself regular, now I feel all jammed again. This morning just chugged my metamucil and some lactulose. Hopes I get rid of the barium mix asap. I just have had enough of dealing with this type of problem in the last month.
 
I'm sorry the barium has bunged you up again. You're doing the right thing, though.
 
I've had that barium mix on the past too, yucky stuff. Make sure you are drinking lots of water, they told me that would help with the constipation later. Hope that problem is over soon for you.
 
That chalky stuff is really yucky. As karol723 has said make sure you drink a lot of water as well as the usual meds you use to help 'go'.
 
Question: when is it best recommended to start doing stair exercises/training? I tried yesterday and did 3 steps up and 3 steps down with new tkr leg . I notice going up was quite easy under the circumstances, going down I braced myself and reduced my weight, not as much strenght in the quad.

I would like to know what would be a reasonable training? 5 steps x 2 per day? Should I put all my weight going down? Will the knee support it at this time?

My knee just turned 5 weeks old.
Thanks all for your input

Ps: with my laxative regiment, some tummy aches, I am officially free from yucky chalky barium stuff! Yay
 
You can do the one step at a time when your knee is ready for it. I just went up and down a flight of steps with my PT in my house today. I'm no where ready to do it foot over foot as of now. It is more difficult going down steps. I would be careful about doing too much too quickly. Your kne will tell you how much you can handle.

Yay for no more baruium!
 
Going down stairs one foot at a time is always more difficult than going up stiars. That's because it puts much more strain on your knee.
It can take as long as 4 months, so don't worry about it.
 
I am almost 5 months out and can finally do the stairs like a grown up! I don't have any pain unless my knee is swollen from overuse. I would wait a little bit longer. Inflaming the knee only sets you back. Are you going to PT? After several weeks at PT, they started me on the 4" riser to build the quad. If you have a small step, you could step up and down a few times. If it hurts, back off until your knee heals more. It is all about building up that quad without stressing it. You are very early in your recovery, so be cautious. Congratulations on the barium!
 
Thank you for your input. I will start practicing in the house slowly and adjust in accordance to pain and inflammation.
I do not do any structured PT. I decided for this knee to follow my OS advise. I do all my stretches and have stated rolling back and forth on my stationary bike to work my rom.
I will need to master stairs in the next 4-6 weeks because as part of my job I need to be able to do so. If I can at least go up at a steady pace, That would be better than nothing.
I know that climbing ladders will be impossible for quite a while because my left knee has never recuperated enough even after five years to be the leading leg. I sometimes need to do roof inspections for schools and access is done using these wall hung vertical ladders. I guess , i'll need to deal with when the time comes.
 
Some fun on April fools day!
When I got up , my son had reversed everything he could in the kitchen. The kettle was on the opposite countertop, the microwave had moved, and so on. He did the same in the fridge, everything that was on the right then was on left and so on! Just had a good laugh!
My son and hubby have made it a tradition to play tricks and jokes on April fools day...I will need to keep my eyes open today!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom