Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round 2, RTKR, a new journey and hope

Just came back from seing OS. He is happy with progress. Said to do stretches and extensions, he does not care about my anything else.
He explained that the reason why my leg gives away sometimes is because we have soft tissues that are sensitive like the inside of the mouth and with inflammation those tissues get squeezed. When this happen our reflex system tell the quads to let go in order to protect those tissues! He said as I am healing and inflammation goes down this will stop.

I can take Aleve now, this will help with inflammation and pain which means less narcotics!

Ps. Went grocery shopping with hubby after. I took the little driving cart to go around the store. Felt so good to come out of the house and see people. But now my knee is upset with me! So , ice, rest, elevate!
 
I'm glad your appointment went well. :yay:

As you found out, grocery shopping on top of the appointment was a bit too much for your knee. For quite a while, you'll find that just one extra thing a day is all your knee can handle happily.
 
You are so right Celle. I kind of knew I was pushing it, but after 3 weeks of hubby groceries, I was able to stock up on stuff I like too! For this time, it was worth the extra pain! lol
 
I agree with you - it was probably worth the pain! :yay:
We all overdo it from time to time, because it's hard to find a balance between "just enough" and "too much".
 
Got up at 5 am with the boys. Hubby and son are going to visit a University for my son. He is graduating from high school in June.
I will be on my own for 2 days. Well with the dog and the cat!:kitty::puppysmooze:
Planning on taking it easy, and no risk taking.

Going back for a snooze in bed...5 am is just too early :alarm:

My OS said I could take naproxen (Aleve). So testing it today. Cutting narcotics in half and going to see how it goes with this nsaid!
 
"Hubby groceries" :rotfl::rotfl: I can relate! I don't think I saw a fresh piece of fruit for 3 weeks when I asked my daughter to get me some! My Darling really tried. He does not cook and we had a lot of prepared foods. Bless their hearts! Glad to see you are doing good. It does take time for those soft tissues to heal.
 
Venting out this morning:
3 1/2 weeks blues! Argh...where is my magic wand to fix this. I am having a moment of: sick and tired of limitation, pain, restrictive mobility and the living room! Oh and having only bare minimum energy! Having 5 pillows in my bed and having to rotate them through out the night to be comfortable. Having to do 3 trips to get my food on the table, stupid walker. Oh and I forgot, the pills: the pain pills and the pooh pills and the yucky lactulose and of course the stomach pills to help digest all the other stuff!

Sorry, I need to vent my frustration...I know the challenge and I understand it. I am just having a moment this morning of : arghhh just lost my patience with the healing process.

I dream of going out for a walk on the trails and be pain free!

On facebook this morning there a nice little reminder that: it is spring today! I love gardening, but this spring ,I am dependant on the goodness of heart of son and hubby because of the KNEE!

Oh knee, dear knee, flex and stretch, collaborate and heal to make my life happy!
 
Creation....
Oh my! I laughed heartily at your venting post solely due to the fact that I am at the same point in my recovery and your words reflect how I feel!!
Thank you for venting! You are not alone!
Humor is our friend in recovery!
Keep the faith!
 
Go ahead and vent - it's OK to feel like that and we understand, because we've all been there. :console2:

Things are going to get better. Just hang in there.
 
Hi Creation, I think we can all identify with those feelings. We are human and this can get kinda old after awhile ! Wishing you luck on cutting down on meds. We need them for awhile, but they sure can cause a lot of other side effects. I'm cutting down very slowly, seem to be doing OK and digestive system finally getting back to normal. It helps to vent sometimes and this is the best place for that. We understand the frustration like nobody else can. You'll be walking on the trails in a few months and this will all be a memory. Stay strong.
 
@Fitzie: to read your post has put a smile on my face...yep we will conquer "the knee":spin:

@Celle and Karol723: thank you for your empathy, it just warms up my heart!

Actually, when I read some of the other stories on Bonesmart, mine is a pretty regular recovery. I consider myself very fortunate to only have to deal with a "regular" tkr recovery!

Well it is time for the stretches, again, so I say: "please, nice and lovely new knee, just give me a degree more today!:praying:
 
4 weeks!
Moving more, enjoying dinner with my leg down and no pain for the lenght of the meal. I still spend most of my day sitting with my leg up when I am not walking or standing. i am icing 5-6 times a day. The swelling is under control.
I have cut down my meds to 1/2 a percocet every 6 hours. I added tylenol 4 times a day and 1 naproxen daily. When ever I have pain I go sit down, elevate and ice. I hope to be able to be off percocet within the next 2 weeks.
My Rom is progressing. It is beyong 90. i dont know by howmuch because I cant measure it but what is important is that my foot now slides sligthly under my chair.

I have started a new stretch using the stairs. I put my leg back as if if was coming off the step and then stretch my quad and knee. Of course my good leg's foot is on the floor at the bottom of the steps. I use my walker to keep my balance. I noticed that this has be really good in relaxing the muscles and the tissues around the scare area. I do 2-3 repats 3 times a day.

I still fing the road of recovery long but I am happy of the little progress I do every day!

:flwrysmile:
 
Last night my hubby and and son thought it was time to tease me! So both of them grabbed the walker and started to immitate me, well how I walk, get up, "complain".

I had such a good laugh! :rotfl: They were good and all so true! Boy, so glad the 1st few weeks are behind me, because I was no fun and a pain in the b.. for all in this household :snork: !
 
Update :
1- so bored, missing going out and driving my car...have to wait another month!
2- did not take pain pills last night, woke up a bit more less comfortable so I am going to wait a bit more before cutting this one
3- ROM is increasing, I can slide my leg under the chair.
4- started using my cane today, I am suprised at how good I am doing...I am slow but steady
5- went for a walk outside, walk 4 houses down and back....ahhhhh freedom! missing it!
6- patience, I have to be patient!
 
Well done, @Creation ! :yay: :flwrysmile: You're making steady progress.
I know it seems like an eternity now, but it won't be long before you can drive again - and regain your freedom.
I know this recovery is a real trial of patience, but it's truly worth being patient.
 
Going to the mall with hubby today, will bring cane and rent the wheelchair at the mall. Hubby will roll me around the stores!
I am so excited!
I know tonight I will be more sore and inflammed but my moral will get a huge boost! Will post later about my day!
 
Just got back! Was out from 10:30 am to 4 pm. I am suprised by my energy level. I must be over the surgery down - drain of energy. As for my knee, by rolling around the mall in a wheel chair, it is doing pretty good. When ever we would stop for a bit , i would put my cane under my leg to stretch it and lift it up a bit, it just relaxed it and I was good for another 30-45 minutes.

I had brought my ice pack in a cooler in the car, so when I got back in the car, I iced my knee. That helped a lot for our last stop at the grocery store.

I am now home, leg up with ice and a big smile on my face! Bought a new blouse and sweater and got the hubby some shirts and tie. I also got myself a really nice puzzle which I will tackle tomorrow. I thought about getting a new book but reading just puts me to sleep.

This was day 32 post-op!
 
Wonderful you were able to spend the day out shopping, with good planning it can be done.
 
Really average night. It was 4:47 am when both eyes where wide open! So finally got up. Did not sleep well, I felt stressed about going back to work...which I am not doing for at least another 6 weeks!
I am not really in pain, just a bit more stiffness than usuall...because of yesterday of course.

I think I am stressing out because I am worried that my knee will not be recovered enough...I guess I am being a bit anxious. There is still a lot of time and progress to take place.
One day at a time, this is what I need to remember!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom