Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round 2, RTKR, a new journey and hope

I was never so thankful for my walk-in shower as I was after my TKR. When I was finally allowed to shower it wasn't too difficult, just exhausting!
 
I agree who thought that the work out would be talking a shower one day! It surely is...
Some times I feel like getting out of my bed, after a snooze, is as if i am climbing the Everest followed by crossing the desert. My leg is so stiff after a snooze! And you just can't give it the time it needs to waked up and contribute to the exercise because you are fighthing the evil bladder that is just about to burst! :flabber:

But all ends well...ice pack and elevation after trip to wc...and some more:sleep:! Yep this is life on day 4 post op.
Good night to all :yawn:
 
It was 2 weeks before I was allowed to shower, I remember that for some time getting showered, dressed and hair dried was like my part time job. It was very satisfying but exhausting!!

My worst bathroom experience was at 4 weeks waking with those prickles down your neck that warn you that you're going to be sick yet knowing that I was never going to "dash" there in time!

Enjoy all that lovely post op snoozing!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I used the word shower but meant cloth wash and wash hair! 1 st real shower is going to be March 8.

Challenges and s'more....Well , learned today that my hips, back and all had adapted to my crooked leg....the leg is now straight but , I am not walking the same nor sitting the same, nor sleeping the same. My other articulations decided to take revenge on me today.... The pain in my knee is manageable but I now have neck, back and hip pain! All I will say here are these words to my other articulations:
You bunch of dumdums.. I got the leg fixed, be happy and get back into your sockets!

Feeling frustrated!
 
Well, you will also find that your old shoes have to go too. Your shoes will have that old, limpy walk pattern. When your a month or so out, head to a good shoe store to get a new pair of sneakers to start with.
 
@KarriB
Agreed!
At the hospital I was wearing a pair of mocassins type slippers and one of the comments of the nurse there was , your slippers are not supporting you straight. i said| I know, the leather got all stretch weird toward the outside becuse of my odd walking pattern. I will be sad to see these go!
 
Here is a picture of the beautifull work my wonderfull surgeon did! The scar is slightly off center and on the left.. Before the operation that was up straight..this is how valgus and twisted my knee was!
Happy it is all straight now!
 
Has anyone used voltaren on the thigh muscles post-op? Any Reasons why I should not?
I am looking to bring some relief to the tension of that traumatized muscle!
Thanks
 
I just spent the last 25 minutes watching valgus knee arthroplasty on youtube. i am so impressed by the knowledge and know how of the orthopaedic surgeons, amazing!
Now I treated myself with this teeth clenching and stomach knotting video because I wanted to understand the Outch and argh... Moments of my knee .
No wonder I sometimes end up in pain hell! in order to fix the deformity not only do they put all this hardware in but they cut and adjusts the ligaments so everything pulls the way it should with the proper force. All this torture and cutting for sure takes time to heal and for sure causes inflammation, stiffness and pain. No wonder my quad went on strike since the surgery!

My surgeon is a miracle worker! My job now is to assist him in making his work recover to its max.

Rest, elevate, ice and slowly incorporate mobility exercises as it can be tolerated....
 
Todays progress with my stretches and slides. i am very proud and found a routine taht works for me. I notice that my knee hurts most at the end of the day, so any exercises at that time are painfull and discouraging so, i now do 2 sets: morning around 10 and afternoon 2 pm. I warm up my leg by starting with the foot pumps followed by the sitting slide stretch, that a few more pumps. I then 'hop' on my bed and do the straight leg push and buttock thightening one. Next is the slide lying down and I finish with my coach :dancy:for... The 'wake up quad muscle leg raise'. My husband come into the room to cheer me, I am aloud to scream my headoff and swear while holding the leg up....today I manage 5 repeats and I held to the count of 6 the last one.:spin:, I could not get myself to do this one without his cheers. So happy I made it!
:ice: I am not relaxing leg up and iced!
 
@Creation, finding what works for you is the key to your recovery. Rest, ice, and elevate, and gentle exercises seem to be working for you. I would only say, if you are "screaming your head off and swearing, perhaps you are pushing too hard. Push yourself to discomfort and a little beyond - not to screaming, swearing pain. That only inflames and will set you back. Congratulations on your recovery!
 
Thank you Timetolive!
I know about the screaming...but for this one, this is the only wAy I can motivate myself to do it. I have progressed from 2 micro lift to this my objective of the week . So now my job is to maintain my acquisitions for the rest of the week or more if necessary. My leg seems to be able to take this one without overacting in swelling. The pain does not linger after.
I believe most of the pain comes from the soft tissue being squished by the muscle contracting. The pain is tolerable, I just hate it! When I let myself yell and swear...kind of good to releive the frustration of the whole recovery process! :heehee:....
I had a really good quad prior to surgery which I beleive helps me on this one.
After my 1st surgery, I could not lift my leg like this before several weeks. But my knee, leg muscles and tendons, etc... were also in very bad shape prior to that surgery.
 
I think you're talking about the straight leg lifts? I had such a hard time with them in the beginning, that I just wanted to keep doing them a month later!
 
Exactly those. Lying on your back and raising 4-6 inches off the bed your entire leg. Nasty! This is why I need hubby to coach other wise I start and I give 30% rather 100% energy. I feel like a heavy weight lifter! . Need to take deep breaths, focus, visualize the heal come off the bed and raise!
The yell/scream is like the haa grr of the weight lifter or the Aya of the karate Sense!
 
On my way to freedom...that of asking for help for everything.

Yesterday made lunch, of course with help, but did the prep and cooking...boys was it good.

Did not ask for any help overnight and this morning
- put the dog out
- fed the cat
- got the dog back in and gave her med...she'll have food later because of med
- made my toast
- made my coffee
- took my coffee ( with saranwrap to prevent spills) to the living room
- got into my day chair
- put my pillows to elevate
- then felt proud and exhausted! :)

All I missed is my ice...forgot to take before I left the kitchen...oh well, ice will come later, enough adventure for now!
 
Yes, I never thought of Saran Wrap for drinks or food. Great idea! When my dad had his hip replaced in November we attached a rectangular flat bottomed basket to his walker so he could carry things to other rooms etc.
 
After surgery home PT was just here. My ROM is now 85 , that is 12th day post op. I am happy, but she was stressed, telling me: you need to increase your range of motion, scar tissu is building up and, blablabla. I looked at her and said: there is one spot in my knee that prevents me from going further, I can feel a swollen "ball" . When the soft tissu heals and that swelling goes down, then it will move further. She says do your stretches 3 times a day, and I answered yes if I am not over swelled. Trying to stretch and fight swelling is counter productive, painfull and useless.
I told her this is my 2 nd knee and I had 70 Rom at 3 weeks because of swelling the 1st time around and everything turned out OK..I it perfectly fine now.

She was also all over me with the leg lifts, I said right now I alternate one day full leg raise, the other the knee raise from the roll under your knee. If I do both the same day, at this time of my recovery, everything swells up for 12 hours andstay in a state of continious lingering pain, and I loose control on the whole process because my body can not go that fast at this time.....

She listened and finally showed me two other exercises that I can do with my walker standing and that are putting less stress on the soft tissu. i tried them and said these are awsome. It works my quad without over stressing the knee.

I am proud of myself for talking control of my recovery and standing my grounds. The only person I will listen too other than myself is my OS. And this is what I have been doing!
 
Well done, for telling the PT your limits. :yes!:
You're right, of course. there's nothing wrong with a bend of 85 at 12 days post op. In fact some people would be envious of it! As you rightly said, the bend will increase as your knee heals and the swelling goes down.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom