Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round 2...Right TKR

I'm sitting here in my recliner too with my leg elevated and iced. I guess this is the day for quads knotting up because mine is too. Your ROM is fantastic. What was your ROM on that knee before surgery? It definitely was very cold to have ice on my knee yesterday. I hope you continue to do well.
 
@newlybionic I had full ROM of my knee before TKR so hoping I will regain all of that just like I did with my left TKR last August. I really can't wait to have 2 good knees lol. This knee is so different than the other with more swelling and more pain. Sometimes I feel very weepy although I know I'm doing just fine for where I'm at in recovery. My PT let me borrow her cryo cuff which I didn't have with the other knee. It's ok but the ice wrap I have is much colder so I only use the cryo cuff while waiting for my wrap to re freeze. It's so nice to have this community of fellow TKRs who truly understand what you are going through. I hope all is well with you, I've read your thread and you've been through a lot with your left knee.​
 
The agency where my PT is from has a new policy the for new hips and knees where the pt goes home instead of rehab for daily visits for the first week. After 3 days in a row I took Thursday off and found I felt much better on Friday after resting and icing all day. She came Friday and I agreed to Mon, Wed, and Fri for next week. She's a good PT, I only do what I can do and it's just stretches and massage which is ok with me. She measured me at 108 flexion on Friday. This weekend I've been a bum lol! I've done nothing but sit in my recliner with my leg elevated, icing several times daily. I do get up and walk around the house a little every so often but I've taken the weekend off from any kind of exercising!! My Hubby is working 12h shifts all weekend so when family offers to help me out, I take them up on the offer. My sister is my personal grocery shopper today :heehee:. The weekend has been pretty good so far, pain feels controlled and I'm sleeping well. We'll see what tomorrow brings...
 
The company I am using and another company I used to work for also come 5 days a week the first week I was home. I talked them into 3 days next week too. Your ROM I really good. What was your ROM before surgery?
Families are good to have now aren't they? Relax and enjoy the day.
 
@newlybionic I had full ROM prior to my surgery.

So I've definitely found out with this knee that less is definitely more. It was so nice taking the weekend off from any exercising but I did walk around the house quite a bit. Although my mom and sisters are great and help out, my hubby and son gave me a good 4 days once again before going back to their regular routines. I just do what I can and leave the rest. Anyways the knee did well with a weekend of relative rest. Really other than a couple of heel slides here and there I don't do any exercises other than PT. Swelling is going down slowly and the bruising is resolving. PT came today, ROM continues to improve and flexion is now at 112. I still need oxycodone 5mg every 4-5 hours though and pain wakes me up at night. It snowed today, good ole New England weather, ick. I'm looking forward to some warmer weather hopefully within the next few weeks so that I can walk outside.
 
I went for my 2 week follow up visit with the ortho PA. He took the bandage off, scar looks good, it'll look better when the glue flakes off. By the time he got in to see me I had been with my knee down for a good 2 hours so it was quite swollen. He recommended ice and elevation (which I'm doing anyway), gave me a script for more oxycodone, and wants to see me in 3 weeks to make sure the swelling is subsiding. He asked me about outpatient PT and I declined. I still get home PT due to not being able to drive and I think that's good enough for now. He was pleased with my knee and my ROM. One thing I noticed about this new knee is that is likes to walk, makes it feel better. Weird huh? PT should be here in a little. Have a happy Wednesday Bonesmarties!!
 
I'm glad your Visit went well. I also feel better walking than just standing. Home PT is probably still a good bet if you're unable to drive. Outpatient PT will be there when you are ready.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well. Glad the knee likes walking around. Happy healing :SUNsmile:
 
Well I have completely neglected my recovery thread lol!! I am now 7 1/2 weeks out and doing quite well. Despite a very rocky start with a lot of pain and more swelling when compared to my first TKR (I know every knee is different but can't help myself) this knee seems to be healing faster. I got myself off of the oxys, just couldn't stand the dopey way they made me feel. I started tramadol which I had pre-op and my OS wrote me another prescription. I saw the ortho PA at 5 weeks due to the increased swelling noted at my 2 week visit. The swelling went down some but is still there but not too bad. X-rays were good too. Home PT has finished with no outpatient PT, I feel that I just do better on my own by listening to my knee and not stressing it. Pain is better but I am still taking tramadol 2-4 times daily along with Tylenol ES 2-3 times daily. My pain never gets above a 2 or 3 and activity doesn't seem to make it worse. The pain is more of an ache that is so much more tolerable than that awful pre-op pain. I must confess that I don't ice that much anymore but when sitting my legs are always elevated. I have been walking without a device for a few weeks now and no longer have a limp. My ROM is 130/0!!!! I still have a good amount of numbness on the lateral part of my knee which is better but I'll say that shaving my leg feels so weird, almost like shaving leather--I truly hate that sensation! My incision looks good although it looks like a stitch may be poking through right at the top. No redness or oozing. I see my OS on Monday and will see what he thinks. I remember the same thing happening last time.

Activity wise, I have progressed much faster than with my first TKR. I am doing all of the housework (sitting when I can, I've become an ace at modifying things so that I can do them) and cooking (a lot of easy meals but hey no one's starving). This week it has been so beautiful outside I have been cleaning up my flower beds, again sitting to get the low parts. Of course everything takes me longer than usual due to taking rest breaks and stopping when I feel like I've had enough. Normally I could do the flower beds in a day, so far I'm on day 3 and only 2/3 finished. I do stretches when I'm sitting and some walking but no other exercises. I can finally go up stairs like a big girl and have just started working on going down stairs. I have been driving for weeks and can easily do the grocery shopping.

Sleep has been very good pretty much right from the beginning. Starting at about week 4-5 I stopped napping on and off during the day in order to prepare for going back to work. Last time I remember napping and resting most of the day right up until the time I went back to work and it was HARD to get through the days. Then again last time I also had terrible insomnia and was usually up most of the night for the whole first 2 months. I feel more ready for my return to work next Tuesday and honestly almost feel guilty for being off this week since I feel so good. I will be taking Wednesday's off for a couple of weeks so work 2 days off 1 work 2 off 2 will be a pretty good start. Last time I took Friday's off and by day 3 I was exhausted.

My left TKR at 9 months feels completely normal, feels like a natural knee except for the quarter sized numb area on the lateral part of the knee cap. It is strong and has supported me all through this right TKR recovery. I know that my right knee will in time also feel that good. I feel like I am getting my life back---it has been a long road these past couple of years with so much pain and having to forego so many things that I love.

Sorry for the long novel, I just wanted to give this thread a good update for anyone who is reading. I wish all my fellow Bonesmarties a good recovery!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:wowspring:Great report! You are doing so well. I'm one day ahead of you and maybe it was the time of the year but fortunately I'm doing very well also. It's nice to hear that you can see a wonderful life ahead with two strong knees. I'm going to try to do the same type of work schedule when I go back to work too. Great minds think alike.:eyebrows:
 
Glad to hear that you are doing well and taking it easy too.
 
6 month update
Hey all! Hope everyone is moving forward in their recovery! Just wanted to give this thread an update as life takes over and leaves little time for much else. I've been back to work full time for a while now. My right knee is doing very well. Little bit of stiffness in the mornings and after long walks or exercising otherwise it feels pretty good. I have a large numb spot on the outside of the knee that may or may not get better according to my OS, only bothers me when I'm shaving my legs lol because it feels so weird. I take Tylenol ES and Aleve in the mornings and really have no pain. My ROM is about 135/0. I can do many exercises and have recently starting lifting light weights again. I can go up and down stairs like a big girl now, a little slow though. I can kneel down on a mat although getting up is still a little awkward. It doesn't feel as real as my left TKR but is getting there. I'm finally feeling as though I have my life back although it's been a long journey, such a good feeling!

Wishing everyone the best with recovery. These surgeries have been life changing and so very worth it!
 
Bridget,
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are doing well. Takes a year or more to heal 100%, the stiffness should clear up, and the numbness improve.
 
That is awesome Bridget! I love it when folks come back and update their journals! Your successful recovery is so encouraging to so many! Congratulations!
 
Hey Bonesmarties!! So now it's a little over 1 year since I had my right TKR and 1 1/2 years since the left TKR and I am feeling wonderful!! I joined weight watchers and lost all the weight I gained being idle for so long and have begun exercising regularly again. It took awhile to figure out what my knees love and right now I'm doing Piyo. It's really helped with my strength and flexibility and I can actually do child's pose with no problem. I tried other things, was able to lift light weights a while back but after a couple of times I realized my legs just weren't ready for that. I can walk forever without pain. My ROM is great, I can bend my legs all the way back, almost touching my butt lol of course that's one at a time. Kneeling is fine if I'm on a mat. I still have a few numb spots but they are small and really don't bother me anymore. Had my 1 year follow up with my OS and he was very pleased. I tried to tell him about the bonesmart way but he didn't want to hear too much of that...geez I'm living proof that it works. So grateful for this forum, I tell others who are going through knee replacement to check it out. It really does take a full year to heal!! Hopefully these knees last a loooong time. To all who are recovering, hang in there!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom