Guest viewing is limited

TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gr82cu2 - The skin on my knee is still rock hard, too, and I tried what you suggested. T

Well, I'm sorry for you but glad to hear I'm not alone :) To me it's just weird because my leg doesn't appear to be swollen much any longer. Even my PT thought it was a little strange when I showed her the difference with the skin movement of my left leg vs. my right leg. It does help to explain why my knee won't bend better and feels constricted though, I guess.
 
The skin on my knee is still rock hard, too, and I tried what you suggested. The skin doesn't move but I think it's because it is still very swollen and needs all the skin it can to handle the swelling. It's very numb - when I touch it, it feels strange.
It's a bit soon to be looking for changes in this issue. You are correct that the swelling is stretching the skin to it's utmost. Think if you blow up a balloon and then try to make the rubber skin move around. You can't! Remember this article? Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

As for the numbness, have you read this? Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
 
@Jane B. - I did not have a transfusion. My son is here with us this week and will return to college Sunday night. His recovery will be about 6-8 weeks. The pew WAS terrible!
 
Post Op Day 15:

The Lord works in mysterious ways - having my son home to care for has definitely proven to be beneficial to my recovery. Before my son, my husband was here and pretty much met all my needs which allowed me to rest, elevate, ice, sleep, and repeat. I wasn't moving all that much and my pedometer was only logging triple digits.

With Michael being here, my husband has been busy out of the house (we are rehabbing his mom's home and he's meeting with sub-contractors), and I have primarily been the caretaker for the two of us. I had PT prior to the funeral on Saturday and my pain was high as was my swelling and I couldn't wait to get home to ice and elevate. Sunday, Michael arrived and I have been up and down ever since meeting his needs.

Today was my 1st PT since Michael returned and the PT guy was shocked at how much progress I've made since he last saw me on Saturday. My ROM is 100 already and it hardly hurt at all for him to take that measurement. Prior to Sunday I was barely 80-85. My knee is still swollen, but not as red and angry. I have been using a cane and I am walking much better with it. Yesterday, just by being a mom and a wife, I logged 3,700 steps and 12 flights of stairs without even trying. In the evenings, my knee hurts so bad and it gets even more swollen. I know I am over-doing it during the day, but I really have no choice. When my husband returns in the evening, he takes over our care and I can relax. I usually excuse myself to our bedroom upstairs where I elevate my knee and gently doze off in that position. My son is now doing similar PT-type exercises that I started out with. I will see if I can post a picture of my knee that I took today.

Best regards,
Robyn

[Bonesmart.org] ROUND 2:  MotownGirl made it to the other side
 
Hi Robyn, congrats on the gained ROM! You are doing a lot but when mom duty calls, it calls. I doubt there are many among us who wouldn't also spring into action when needed by our kids. My knee and lots of my lower leg peeled like that. I wondered if it was from the skin being so stretched from swelling or if it was a reaction to the antiseptic they used to cleanse my leg for the operation. Your incision is looking good and is quite short, it appears. Best wishes for a continued recovery for both you and your son :)
 
Hi Robyn,
Sounds like you are making some good progress. Seems like just getting up and moving about the house has been very helpful. I will try and remember these things come January.
 
Sounds like a fantastic recovery, Robyn. Don't tire yourself out, though.
 
@Jane B. @kaw205 @gr82cu2 - There's no doubt about what we wouldn't do for our kids! That's why women have been known to lift automobiles off their kids. LOL! Seriously though, prior to Michael coming back home, I was following the BoneSmart mantra and it was working. But I can also tell that the increased movement has beneficial, too, if not exhausting, to my recovering.
When I had my hips replaced, I remembered what my mom had done during her hip replacements, which was nothing. She sat like a queen and had her minions, us, wait on her hand & foot. Subsequently, her recovery wasn't as good as it could have been. When it was my turn to have my hips replaced, I did the exact opposite of her and made sure I walked the hospital floor frequently and did my PT exercises like I was supposed to. I was really motivated to NOT be suffering pain long after corrective measures had been taken. I guess with my knee, I started out doing similar behavior as my mom when, in reality, I should have been doing like I did with my hips. Now, don't get me wrong....I definitely pay the price each evening, but each morning I can tell I am slightly better than I was the day before. Who knows what really works, right?
 
I think it just comes down to finding your personal niche with recovery. It's definitely a balancing act between doing too much and too little. I've found the past couple of weeks that after I go to out patient PT it feels good to walk it off. So, that's when I go and do my grocery shopping or whatever. Then I come home and ice for an hour or two before making dinner. It seems like I don't stiffen back up as quick that way. I'm definitely ready to be off my feet for the evening once dinner is over though.
 
Post Op Day 17:
I knee ached like heck yesterday so I took my ice machine back from my son and iced my knee for about 25 minutes. It worked to take away the pain. I woke this morning to less swelling than the previous few days. I can actually see the wrinkles and flabby skin in my knee again! LOL! The Physical Therapist just left - he checked my ROM - 115 degrees. He is amazed and said my surgeon is going to be shocked tomorrow when he sees me for my 1st post-op visit. The PT has me walking without my cane but still recommends I use it when I think I need to. Truth be known, I forget it most of the time anyways. The PT put me on the staircase today going up & down them like I used to. The stretch felt good. I need to get well quickly because my son is returning to college this coming Sunday and he will be on his own with crutches and a walker. I need to heal so I can go up there and stay as long as I need to to assist him. He has started very basic PT here but will resume it when he goes back to college, thank goodness. @Josephine- BoneSmart.org has been a tremendous resource to me during my pre-surgery days and the days afterwards. Huge thanks!

Best regards,
Robyn
 
Hi Robyn,
It's so good to hear that after your rough start you are doing so well. 115 is awesome!
My co-worker will be back at work on Monday. Can't wait to see how he is 5 weeks post op and pick his brain for all the details! Have a great weekend! Karen
 
I can't wait to hear his details, too! I bet, after reading all our experiences, that you are just so psyched for your surgery this coming January? Take care!
Robyn
 
I'll be more excited/nervous when I have an actual date. They are not booking for Jan yet.
It's been fascinating reading about everyone's journey with recovery (good and bad). I am so glad I found this site.
Can't wait to hear about your follow up visit tomorrow.
 
The Physical Therapist just left - he checked my ROM - 115 degrees. He is amazed and said my surgeon is going to be shocked tomorrow when he sees me
:wowspring: That is awesome! I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he sees you!
@Josephine- BoneSmart.org has been a tremendous resource to me during my pre-surgery days and the days afterwards. Huge thanks!
That's very sweet of you to say so. My job satisfaction knows no bounds! :flwrysmile:
 
@kaw205 @Josephine - Went to my 1st follow-up visit today. I set myself up for failure because my son (the injured one) asked me to take him to the AT&T store to get the new iPhone. Who can say no to someone who just had a near-death experience, right? Not me. So of course, I loaded myself, my cane, my son, and his walker into the SUV and drove 30 minutes to the AT&T store. BAD IDEA from the git go! 1/2 there, my leg knee decided it was tired and no longer had the energy to lift itself from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. OH OH! Yes, of course there was a 30 minute wait to see a customer service rep. By the time we were seen, my son was profusely sweating and I was up & down trying to get comfortable, stretching my knee, etc....Doing everything but chewing nails. We were finally attended to and got that taken care of.
It was time to drive my son back (30 minutes!) to the house so I could head to my follow-up surgery appointment. My husband was kinda being "pissy" this morning - he had originally said he was going to drive me but when he heard I was taking my son to the AT&T store, he changed his mind (of course he did, he had a point to prove!).
Anyway, I took the high road and didn't address my husband's hissy fit. I dropped my son off and headed to the OS's office. They were running about 30 minutes behind....my knee had taken on a life of its own! I waited in the private patient room and when I heard the OS outside the door, to be a stupid show-off, I quickly crossed my operated knee over my other knee....He walked in and noticed my ROM instantly. He was impressed. We talked about the rough start in the hospital as well as the rough start for the first 10 days after surgery. He asked what changed and I told him the truth - let your kid get hit by a car 4 hours from home and you, too, will be surprised as to what you can do. He was amazed and proclaimed me "his star patient for the day". LOL! I had no idea a title existed! I told him I would rather my son NOT have gotten run over and that I was NOT his star patient. He laughed.
But anyways, after my appointment, my day was not over. Had to run back to the house (another 30 minute ride) and pick up my son to take him to his physical therapy appointment. After his PT was over, on our way home, I said that I am off-duty. When we got in the door, I set my son up with food, water, the phone, a urinal to relieve himself in case he was in too much pain to make it to the bathroom, and the TV remote. I bid him a fond farewell and headed upstairs to heed the BoneSmart mantras.
And here I rest...totally realizing that today's activities sent me back a few days and I look forward to resting without any appointments other than my own PT for this weekend.

I am also going to see if I can post pics of my new knee.

[Bonesmart.org] ROUND 2:  MotownGirl made it to the other side


Best regards,
Robyn
P.S. What I have not mentioned is that I retire this coming Thursday (10/2/14) after 25 years as a law enforcement officer and I have to be well enough to be at our Gun Range this coming Monday to qualify right before I retire. Lucky me! :)
 
You have to qualify right before you retire? Just you or everyone does?
 
@Jane B. - I want to because I intend to apply for my concealed weapons permit immediately afterwards, with no delay. My friend is running the Gun Range. She is awesome...it will be a breeze, just a pain to drive all the way out there, put my gear on, etc.....
 
I've never fired a weapon, I'm just curious: Could you have kick back from the handgun that could hurt your knee?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom