Guest viewing is limited

TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, personally, I find an epsom salt bath to be extremely relaxing and it does help reduce the pain and soreness in my knees.
Below is an exerpt from one of many articles available online regarding the health benefits of epsom salt.

Researchers and physicians suggest these health benefits from proper magnesium and sulfate levels, as listed on the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council:
  • Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
  • Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
  • Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
  • Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
  • Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
  • Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
  • Improved oxygen use.
  • Improved absorption of nutrients.
  • Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
  • Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
All this from a bath? Hurray! While there are many different brands of Epsom salt, they are all the same product chemically, and can be found at most drug stores. Add two cups of Epsom salt and soak for at least 12 minutes. Do this three times weekly.


Read more: https://www.care2.com/greenliving/health-benefits-of-epsom-salt-baths.html#ixzz3FBeEGsGy
 
:skep: Some of those beggar belief!

Soaking in a bath will improve ability for the body to use insulin, reduce the incidence or severity of diabetes, flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells, ease muscle pain and help the body to eliminate harmful substances and improve nerve function by electrolyte regulation?

In your dreams!
 
@Josephine. That seems a little aggressive. @kaw205 I have tried various types of Epsom salt baths and agree they have medicinal uses for healing. There's this one brand, "Dr's something" that has lavender scented salt and it says it induces sleepiness. Recently, my husband was soaking in our large tub, and without his knowledge I had poured some into his bath. About 30 minutes later, he said he was done and getting out because he was tired and wanted to go to bed. Could it be the lavender salts? Maybe. Could it be the warm of the soothing bath? Maybe.
 
@Josephine....Epsom salt has long been used in this country for relief from sore muscles and minor skin irritations (poison ivy, bug bites) with swelling. The combination of the salts and a warm bath work well for a lot of people.

It also makes tomatoes grow great in the garden!! :heehee:
 
Post Op Day 27:
Swelling is decreasing slowly each day. Instead of a sharp pain I feel more of dull ache, especially when it gets close to pain med time. The realtor was here the other day. I found that sitting on a bar stool to talk with her was uncomfortable as was standing up for an extended period of time. I was actually pacing and my husband could tell I needed to scoot upstairs to elevate and ice. I'm taking my painkillers every 5 hours apart. I hope I am able to cut back on them relatively soon. I don't want to run out because I don't see the physician again until the end of October. But I'm sure they'd give me an RX if I called.
I have to remind myself that I will only be 4 weeks post surgery tomorrow. That's really not all that long, in reality. This recovery is just so much different from my other joint replacements. With those, by 3.5 weeks, I was well off pain killers and a lot more active than I am now. The majority of my days are spent resting, icing, and elevating...
Thanks for listening!

Robyn
 
I agree that it is soothing and often good for things like skin problems. I have no issue with that at all. But I do have issues with the claims I quoted which you obviously didn't read. There is no way on God's earth that a bath is going to influence

- ability for the body to use insulin
- reduce the incidence or severity of diabetes
- flush toxins and heavy metals from the cells
- help the body to eliminate harmful substances
- improve nerve function by electrolyte regulation

Those just cannot be factual. Not no how!

However, I do also agree about lavender. A great sleep inducer and relaxing agent. As with many other herbal remedies. Plenty of evidence to support that.
 
Robyn, your days and mine sound a lot alike. We had friends over yesterday, no hosting, just sitting around, visiting and talking. After everyone left I didn't even move from the sofa, I just fell asleep.

Real estate agents would have to talk to me while I sat on the couch with my feet up and ice machine cuff on!

I've cut back on some of my narcotics, from five to four a day. Sometimes I really count the minutes until the next one, and other times forget to take them. Depends on the day.
 
@Josephine, I've been meaning to tell you how adorable the grey kitten is. Is it yours? Makes me smile every time I see it!
 
@Jane B. My husband tried to get me to move to the couch but this realtor is such a talker, I wanted her out of the house as quickly as possible but she was still there a long time. At one point, I excused myself to go upstairs hoping she'd take the hint. She actually stayed about 10 more minutes talking my husband's ear off.

Good for you on the pain med reduction. I hope mine follows suit soon! I had PT this morning and forgot to take my pain meds. When I finally got home I was an hour & a half late & boy did my knee protest. It was my fault.

We are going on a 4 hour (one-way) car ride this afternoon to see my son @ college. He has a follow-up with his Ortho. Surgeon who operated on his leg when he was hit by the car 3 weeks ago. I'm sure the ride will be miserable and I will make sure my husband stops frequently to let me stretch my legs. We have a full-size SUV and I plan on taking my ice machine. I can probably hook it up to the power outlet and ride in bak icing my leg if it gets too bad.

Have a great day!

Robyn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom