TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @MotownGirl66

Good luck and ((((((biggest hugs))) x x x chat to you soon. You will be amazing x x x I'm so pleased you're first on the list...yaay x x

All my love Ann x x x x
 
Left TKR Post-op Day 1:

Okay, I'm relaxing in my room. I have had the bed angled downward, with my feet high in the air, since I got in the room around 1:45p yesterday. I had to stay in Recovery for 3 hours while they waited for a room to become free. They had 6 total knee replacements today. My surgeon did three plus a meniscus repair. I was eavesdropping in Recovery.

I was given the knock-out anesthesia in the O.R. at about 7:57am. I was joking with the surgical nurses and my surgeon's P.A. and I tried to coax him in to posing with me, like a selfie a.k.a. Joan Rivers style, but his eyes grew wide and he refused, but it lightened the mood in the room. (I know, I know! It was a bad joke). I promised him I wouldn't tell! My next memory is waking up in Recovery at 10:20a. I think they knocked me out to get me to stop talking because the scrub nurse asked me if I'd been given Versed to make me comfortable. I replied that I had. They didn't think it was working because I was so alert. I saw my plastic parts sitting over on a table and asked to be brought over to it but they refused. They also refused to take a picture of me with my ConforMIS parts. Did you know a ConforMIS rep attends every ConforMIS knee replacement? Who knew? Why?

The PT supervisor (Doug!) came about 3:30p and we merely walked to the door across the hallway and back to the bed. I've had to use the ladies room 15+ times so far and I have managed to walk there, with no weight on my surgical leg, by hopping with my now good leg and using the walker.

This time, the anesthesia doctor game me a wonderful femoral block which is helping considerably. Add in the IV Tylenol drip which is 1,000mg (which is also new this time), a long-lasting Oxycodone, plus another Oxycodone (via mouth because it lasts longer), and things are going much, much, better! The block is slowly wearing off as I write this, though, so I'm sure today will be different.

Doug says I have PT today and Thursday at 9a and 1:15p. I reminded him about Stephanie, his Assistant last time. He admitted it is rough. I told him about this stool exercise my other PT guy had me doing a few weeks into my therapy. He had me sitting on a low-to-the-ground wheeled stool and pushing myself and pulling myself on it, across the tile, using only my knees and quad muscles. He said it's a great exercise.

My appetite is good and I've already requested we get started on stool softeners. I got my first dose at 9p last night. Keep it coming ladies!

Didn't sleep very well last night, maybe 2 hours in 30 minute increments. I feel hyper, my heart is racing. Probably from all the meds.

Speaking of meds: I am also taking Flexiril this time too. I thank my surgeon's P.A. for listening to me about my first surgery. Things are going so much better now!

Lol! You won't believe this, but for the 2nd time, the air conditioning wasn't cooling my room last evening. So I immediately asked my nurse to call Maintenace. Sure enough! The thermostat was broken. They switched out within a few minutes and the room temp quickly dropped 4 degrees.
Robyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robyn,
So glad things are going better this time. You're off to a great start!:wowspring:
Hope you're having a good day and PT went well.
Take Care,
Karen
 
Hi @MotownGirl66

I'm so glad this are better this time around for you. It's the best news. Oh I did laugh at you trying to get a selfie with the medic and wanting to see your spare parts (as in knee!). I was very surprised to hear a rep was in attendance at your op! Well we live and learn x

I'm pleased they sorted out your air con. There's nothing worse than a stuffy hospital. Breeding ground for all sorts yuk! X

I wish you the very best recovery x

I was so fed up today I've done two very stupid things. So welcome me to the ODIC x

Love Ann x x x
 
At least in the USA, it is very common for a technical rep from the implant company to be with the surgeon. They assist in determining the proper implant components for you. It's all part of trying to do the best possible job for you.
 
At least in the USA, it is very common for a technical rep from the implant company to be with the surgeon. They assist in determining the proper implant components for you. It's all part of trying to do the best possible job for you.
Yes---my surgery was delayed for about 15 minutes as the Stryker rep was stuck in traffic! The surgeon said that he had a great trust and working relationship with the rep and would not go in without him.
 
So happy to hear that things are going better this time around for you. Your sense of humor is just like mine, I always joke when I am nervous because if I didn't I would probably be bawling like a baby.
As for the Sales Rep being in the room with the Dr. that is general practice as if the surgeon decides he needs something different the rep will be able to supply and if something was not going according to plan the rep would be able to get assistance from Company for any concerns the surgeon had. I actually saw the Rep setting up the table with the implants and tools when I was wheeled in.
I hope when the block wears off that your pain management is under control. Have a great day and rest as much as you can, but then again you already know this :)
 
Good to hear you are off to a good start.
 
Left TKR Post-op Day 2:

Hi everyone! Thank you for the well wishes and words of encouragement. I went home today after this morning's P.T. session. I am still feeling the effects of the Femoral Nerve Block which results in me having no feeling in my left foot. It sort of droops, too. But no one is worried. I am doing a very good job at keeping the swelling at bay by elevating and icing. Which reminds me, time to ice!
My pain level is substantial when it comes about time for a new dosage of 1 to 2 Oxycodone 5-3.25mg. every 4-6 hours. Last surgery I was only taking one tablet of Tramadol or Dilaudid (I think) every 4-6 hours because the doctor was so stingy with the quantity on the RX, but this time I am taking two tablets because they discharged me with a quantity of 90. They also sent me home with a long-lasting Oxycontin 10mg. RX that I am to take every 12 hours. I really feel that my surgeon's P.A. listened to me when I complained about certain things during my recovery of my 1st knee. Even the P.T. sessions were different this time! Same people, just different exercises. Easier exercises that coincide with one and two day surgery patients.
I also have Xarelto for blood clotting and a Nausea pill so things are a lot different this time.
When I left PT today, my ROM was 107. I think that's pretty good. Other than that, no further updates. My surgeon used staples again and my scar is crooked, again. He says he does it that way to go around the patella. I forgot to ask him about that area under the patella. He had to insert a little plastic piece last time.
I have to keep reminding myself I am only on Day 2 - I caught myself starting to unload the dishwasher a little while ago and had to stop myself.
Take care and good night everyone!

Robyn
 
107!!!!!:wowspring:
I was taking 2 of the 5/325 every 4 hours and I only got 60. That lasted me a whopping 5 days!
Adding the 10mg of the long lasting should really help.
Unloading the dishwasher on day 2? That's a very good sign that this time around will be better.
Good luck with day 3!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom