TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nana moon 27 Thank you for the nice compliment! I don't think my recovery was all that spectacular. It hurt like heck and was such a pain in the butt. I, too, was very resistant, at first, to the idea of going through this all over again, but as the first knee replacement started to heal, and my bad knee began impeding my recovery, I knew it was time to suck it up and put my big girl panties on and just get the darn thing done once and for all. By looking at your surgery dates, it looks as though you've been dealing with your knees since your first TKR last January. Have you decided on a surgery date for knee #2 yet? Do it on March 23rd so we can be 2nd knee surgery buddies?
 
Week 24 Post Op update (6 months):
Tomorrow marks my 6th month anniversary. Wow....the memories haven't faded like they say they do when you've undergone something traumatic. My first knee replacement is definitely something I will never forget.
My aches have returned this morning. But, I didn't sleep well last night because I was up & down waiting for my son to get home from college. Maybe I hurt because of that? I took some Tylenol 500mg w/ a 600mg Ibuprofen this morning but have not noticed any difference in pain.
I was at the house with the staircase today and did about 5 flights up & down. I didn't navigate the stairs like I used to in the good old days, but it was a little bit better than it was a few weeks ago. My quads feel weak. Time....they say time is what I need. I rode my bicycle, too, and there's no problem with the pedal rotation. I am having surgery on my kidney this coming Wednesday. I have to get that out of the way before my next knee replacement in March.
 
Happy 6 month anniversary!!! It was quite a journey, wasn't it? Biking will help alot with the quads.
Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday. Will it be out-patient?
Thanks for keeping up on your updates. I'm sure they have been helpful to alot of us.
Do you remember when you were able to wean off the pain meds?
I can usually sleep through the night without them, but still need them during the day.
 
Good luck for Wednesday @MotownGirl66. Yes you're right it is better to get it done out the way and settled before your next TKR.

We cannot choose our surgery dates on the NHS but they did say within the next few months. It could be March we might be lucky. Anyway, whichever way our replacements work out. I'll be around cheering you on.

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
@kaw205 Thank you! Nope, the kidney thing will be about 1-2 night stay in the hospital because I will have tubes draining out from my kidney (in the side of my back) for a few days. I do not want to go home with those. It's a percutaneous nephrolithotomy. There's a YouTube video out there, if you are bored! LOL!.
LOL - you're right! It definitely has been a journey. A trip to Hell and back. I know that in November, when we were in MI for 5 weeks, I was 7 weeks post surgery at the start of the trip and I was still taking my painkillers every 4-5 hours or so. Sometime during that trip, I started backing them down by 30 minutes every few days. During the 3-day drive home, I took them pretty regularly because of being seated for so long. Then, when we were back in FL, I believe I only took them to sleep at night. So between weeks 12 and 21, we were moving into the other house and I recall being in so much pain from being so active, getting down and up from floors, etc....and I remember having to take the pain meds "as needed". Then, when in Michigan on Jan. 10th thru Jan. 24th, I made the switch to Tylenol with Ibuprofen, but I still took the occasional RX med if I did too much. Hope that helps!

@Nana moon 27 What is NHS? I don't think I would like not knowing my surgery date. I try to get as much personal stuff done and out of the way knowing I will be laid up extensively. Thanks for being supportive and, of course, I will be there for you, as well.

Hugs ladies!
 
Thanks Robyn,
I can sleep through the night without meds, but wake up hurting.
Just trying to figure out when to go back to work. Guess I'll see how the next 2 weeks go...
Hope you have a better hospital stay with the kidney surgery!
Beautiful day for a bike ride.....
 
Hi @MotownGirl66


Over here in the UK, every working person has to pay National Insurance Contributions directly out of their salary. It is compulsory. It funds free hospital treatment for all who live in this country, irrespective of whether they've contributed or not. The system here works using operation waiting lists, which vary from hospital to hospital, also varies according to need and type of surgery. It also varies from area to area. If I'm right I think Wales has the longer list at present, however I wouldn't be 100%. They've had tremendous cutbacks in their services, particularly in the rural areas, which is daft. There is an ageing population, ever growing that need treating. @billywhizz666 am I right about Wales having the worst waiting lists? If not apologies. I did read this in the last few weeks.

Yes I'm trying to get stuff done here but it's an uphill struggle at the moment. It will get easier x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Thanks Karen! Maybe you should take a low dose painkiller so you don't wake up hurting? I did ride my bike again today. :)
Thanks Robyn,
I can sleep through the night without meds, but wake up hurting.
Just trying to figure out when to go back to work. Guess I'll see how the next 2 weeks go...
Hope you have a better hospital stay with the kidney surgery!
Beautiful day for a bike ride.....
 
Congrats on your 6th month anniversary and good luck with the kidney surgery!

Way to go on the stairs and bike!!
:bicycle1:
 
Hi Robyn,
I hope everything went well today and you're resting comfortably.
Post when you're up to it..
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Hi Robyn

I've prayed everything has gone ok with your op. Hope to hear from you soon x take care and take it easy.

Love Ann x x x
 
Okay - I am back at home. Was discharged late Friday night with a draining tube coming out of my kidney. It drains into a bag I carry around. Not planning on leaving the house anytime soon! Lots of pain but they got the kidney stone. It was 8mm. I get the tube removed tomorrow, thank goodness. Dealing with the constipation brought on by the painkillers. Cannot wait for the poop fairy to arrive! I have tried everything under the sun to stimulate my insides to work but so far, nothing. Absolutely, positively, dreading the 2nd knee replacement.
 
@MotownGirl66

Oh thank goodness you're ok! Please look after yourself and take care now. Rest when you can. 8mm stone, wow x

There's the most marvellous laxative powder it has not unpleasant orange flavour called Laxido. It moves mountains but very gently and with plenty of warning. You don't ever get caught short. The doc prescribed it for me but over here it can be bought over the counter x

Love Nana moon x
 
Glad you are home but sorry you're so uncomfortable! That's really the worst feeling - loathe it. Hoping for some relief for you sooner rather than later!
 
Things have "moved" along if you catch my drift. The tube and bag came out Monday and it drained all day yesterday and through last night, but today it seems to be closing up. I am feeling better. Low energy day today, though. Came home from running three quick errands and felt so drained I walked in the door, set my purse down, laid on the bed, and fell to sleep without even meaning to. I think I was in the middle of a conversation with my husband.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom