TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Your pain is gone. Hope it stays gone!
Yeah, Cigna is funny. I guess we have different coverage because I haven't had a problem with them.
I do know that my doctor coded the surgery as a total knee replacement. No mention of Conformis. Don't know how he coded the CT scan, but they paid for it with a $150 co-pay.
I think you're going to have a better time with #2. Just work those quads! It helped alot with my pre-surgery pain too.
Have you tried Valerian Root to help you sleep? It works for me.
Do you live in a bike friendly neighborhood? I have a route that takes me 30 minutes and that was enough to make a big difference. I have an exercise bike, but I much prefer to ride outside. I guess it will be awhile before I can bike again...
sleep tight,
Karen
 
I hate insurance companies, I have a new one for this knee and had to jump through many hoops to get what I needed. I hope it all works out for you.

No more pain! That is awesome, I am hoping that will finally happen for me. We took our granddaughter to Belle Isle to see the Aquarium on Saturday, she loved it. They are really working hard to make it better. I hope that you get a chance to visit the island the next time you come back to Michigan. The improvements have been wonderful.
 
@kaw205 Yeah, our Cigna coverage must be different because my CT scan RX didn't even mention the word "ConforMIS" but Cigna picked up on it and called my OS and asked for my files notes! Sneaky dogs! The radiology place had me do that thing again where I pay $250 out of my pocket and we act like I do not have health insurance. The doctor codes the surgery as a total knee replacement, too, but does not mention the brand name, thank goodness! We do live in a bike friendly area, thank goodness with bike trails and sidewalks. I, too, like riding outside more than inside on a stationary bike.

It's really weird about the pain because I noticed it on Sunday, was surprised it lasted to Monday, and today when I was getting my CT scan, I went to stand up from a chair and I was anticipating pain, but none was there! That's outstanding! I PRAY IT LASTS!

@fiberlady Thanks Cindy! I cannot wait to get back to Detroit and hope to be there this Summer to attend a 3-day outdoor Country music festival @ the Michigan International Speedway in July. If we can, I will definitely stop in a at Belle Isle. I love it.
 
Great news that the pain is still gone. Hope it stays away forever!
I hope you are ready to ride a bicycle. Better take it slow at first.
I had a busy day. Will update on my thread.
Karen
 
Great news that you have no pain. I also hope you get to visit the island you will be pleased at how nice it looks.
 
@fiberlady Thanks! Belle Isle is definitely on my "must-do" list. I told hubby I am absolutely not spending another hot, sweltering, summer in SW Florida. So I hope to be back in MI by June 1st....come hell or high water!

I went to Fort Myers Beach last evening with a friend to walk on the packed sand. We walked for 30 minutes up & down the beach.
We had to walk on loose sand to get down to the water's edge and it was interesting! I felt different muscles engaging in every area of my body that I haven't felt in at least 2 years. It felt good but was a reminder that my body has been thru hell and back since 2012. As we walked down the beach, my lumbar back was tightening up. I guess from not being used much. My surgical knee held up fine! The other knee, that's getting replaced soon, ached a little bit and I think it caused my opposite hip to hurt. I must have been walking funny. But, I can definitely see the benefits in walking in loose sand for an overall body workout. I think I will go down there once or twice a week and just walk for short distances.
@kaw205 I asked hubby AGAIN to please put air in my bike's tires but the pumps are at the other house and he will do it next time he goes there.
It's a rainy, overcast, day here. Good day to stay in and work on my next sewing project. Take care!

Robyn
 
My surgical knee held up fine! The other knee, that's getting replaced soon, ached a little bit and I think it caused my opposite hip to hurt. I must have been walking funny
I have a strong feeling that, once you get that second knee done, you will not need to compensate for anything and your hop will feel fine!
I went to Fort Myers Beach last evening with a friend to walk on the packed sand. We walked for 30 minutes up & down the beach.
I have 17"-18" of snow right now in my front yard, so I would love to go walk on a war, sandy beach! I am jealous!!

(besides, tonight it is supposed to be -7*!!!
 
@referee54 LOL! I like the snow and would rather switch places with you. I haven't been down to the beach in a few years. I think you're right that the compensating will end once the 2nd knee is replaced. Have I mentioned that I am absolutely DREADING it? LOL! Gonna have to put my big girl panties on and suck it up.:giggle:
 
Just the thought of being able to walk in the sand sounds so nice. Yes when you get that second knee done, you will not have to compensate anymore. I am trying so hard to get out of my old habits of walking with one good side and one bad side. It will eventually come. Enjoy that weather, we are snowed in here in Michigan. had another couple of inches yesterday, hubby won't let me go out unless I am under his watchful eye. He doesn't want me to fall. It is very cold here today and my lunch date was cancelled because they were concerned about me going out in this cold. Oh to be warm and walk in the sand. Send some of it this way.
 
That's right! I had forgotten that the snowblower can only throw it so high. Than what?
Right now, I am tossing it away from my neighbor's driveway---we have a mound of snow close to 2 1/2' tall separating his driveway and mine---soon, I will have to keep tossing it over on my side, as it can only get so high!
 
I like the sand talk much better than the snow - I'm shivering in Texas and I think it's 50 something - this weekend is back to the 70s and I'll be much happier about things!

So excited to hear your op knee did well in the sand...I love walking on the beach!
 
I'm shivering in Texas and I think it's 50 something
That is "spring time or "sweater weather" here in Ohio.

I am glad though, that you can enjoy that walk on the beach with your new knee---and soon, both will be able to help you thoroughly enjoy those walks! Stereo!
 
That is "spring time or "sweater weather" here in Ohio.

Same here in Michigan. I am beginning to think it was not a great idea to have my knee done in the winter. I am tired of sitting inside looking out at all this snow and not being able to get outside. My hubby wants to put me in a bubble, he is so afraid I will fall.
 
Hi Robyn,
I don't miss the snow at all .Pretty to look at, but that's it.
Pretty dreary day here, but warm.
You must send hubby over to get the pump!
Start thinking positive thoughts about knee #2. I think it will be a very different experience.
You'll be going into it with all the knowledge you've gained from #1!
Take Care,
Karen
 
HI everyone! @fiberlady Your husband sounds like a dear, caring, man! You are very fortunate he looks after you so well. I think you did the right thing getting it operated on during the winter. Then, when Spring comes, you will feel like going outside and you will feel well enough to do so.
@kaw205 LOL! The bike pump is on the list of things to grab from the other house, including my VitalWrap Icing machine in anticipation of surgery #2. I went this morning for my kidney CT scan so the Urologist has it to look @ when he goes in and cuts into my kidney. I see him next week & we will schedule that procedure then. :(
@TexasTee I like the cooler weather. My allergies go away. I was in Dallas for a week once for a work conference. It was Summer and every bit as hot here in FL but without the humidity. How long have you lived there?
@referee54 I love your "Stereo" analogy! Perfect! LOL!
 
Same here in Michigan. I am beginning to think it was not a great idea to have my knee done in the winter. I am tired of sitting inside looking out at all this snow and not being able to get outside. My hubby wants to put me in a bubble, he is so afraid I will fall.
I had my knees done in November---I was back teaching in January (too early!), but when the great weather hit, I was pretty much ready to go!! I thought that having them done then was good---here in northern Ohio, the snow can keep you in at times, so the winter was a great time to recover---I would have lost my mind if I could not be active in the spring or summer.
 
Hi Robyn - I've been in Austin since 99 - I love it!! I really like Florida too - if there were more high tech there, I'd be more than happy to live near the ocean! I'm originally from San Diego - life needs a beach!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom