TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all bring up valid points. I had forgotten that the ConforMIS takes about 7 weeks to make. I may as well get the darn thing scheduled. Merry Christmas to all!
 
Merry Christmas Robyn,
I hope the new year brings you pain free days and restful nights.
No two knees are alike, so maybe knee #2 will be easier, and knee #1 will be strong enough to pick up the slack.
Also, you'll be recovering in your new one story home!
Best regards,
Karen
:puppysmooze: (Sloppy kiss from Seamus)
 
@kaw205 Happy New Year! Just saw your message from last week - Belated Merry Christmas to you, as well.!

I also realized I didn't post my 16 week update this past Monday. Oh well. I will do it on Monday. I've spent the last few days at the Fort Myers house and my knees are really getting better by not having to do those blasted stairs numerous times a day. In fact, I am actually looking forward to going to dinner tonight with friends. Very soon, we will be in your surgery month! How exciting, right? Are you ready? It will be here before you know it.
 
Hi Robyn,
Well it must be a good sign that you forgot to post. Not thinking about the knees is a good thing!
Yes, Jan 20th is coming fast. Only 3 weeks away. YIKES!
I've been cooking/freezing healthy soups.
Glad the holidays are over. I've been eating badly for the past month...
Have fun tonight.
Happy New Year!
Karen
 
Nope, I haven't forgotten about my knee - it won't let me. I wonder why, at 4 months, it still aches. Not a pain, just an ache that hasn't fully subsided. I keep waiting.....
 
I had some achyness at 4 months. Hopefully it will diminish for you soon.
 
18 weeks Post Op:

Hi everyone! I've been absent since the beginning of January because life got in the way. How am I doing 18 weeks post surgery? Well, the top right quadrant of my knee still gets pockets of fluid. I still have that bruise on the inside of my knee. I will post a picture. My knee just aches most days. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm in the steamy warmth of South Florida or the bitter cold of Michigan. I was taking 600mg. of Ibuprofen to manage it but it doesn't seem to be as effective as I need it to be. I suppose I need to add Tylenol to it to see if it brings relief.

My quadriceps in both legs just feel so weak! Even stairs are still giving me a hard time still. Oh man! Those low-seated automobiles and the low-height toilet seats are a major issue, too. How about those low booths in restaurants? I would much rather sit on a high bar stool than a chair at a dinner table.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I still remind myself several times a day that this will last up to a year. I don't know if the fact that my other knee needs to be replaced is the cause of my aches and pains. I cannot schedule it because I need kidney surgery in the near future.

I read on someone else's thread about clicking or clunking. That happens to me all day long with any movement - bending, straightening, walking, wiggling, etc....Doctor said it will diminish in time along with the bruise.
 
Bruise still hurts when even a little bit of pressure is applied.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] ROUND 2:  MotownGirl made it to the other side
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 239
(((Robyn))),
Welcome back! !!!
Sorry to hear you're still having aches and pains. Have you tried riding a bike?
I ride almost every day and it has made such a difference in my pain level and quad strength.
(wait till you get back to Fla, though).
That bruise is wierd. Isn't that where you had the dimple? It will probably fade away in time.
And now the kidneys? Yikes!
I have somehow managed to not spend a day in the hospital since I was born. I guess that's getting ready to change, though.....
Well, great to hear from you and enjoy your time in Motown!
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Hi....it's good to hear from you. First, let me say there is absolutely nothing wrong with you!!! You're having a normal recovery. It is normal to have aches and pains for months after surgery. It takes time to be comfortable with stairs and low cars. Months may pass before you begin to get strength back in your quad muscles. And all this can be amplified when you have a second bad knee. Your body is still compensating for that bad joint by putting more stress on your new good knee.

Most people report that it is at least 6 months before they start to feel "right" with a new knee again. It actually sounds like you're a bit ahead of that. I know it's difficult to be patient. It does sound like a good idea to use some Tylenol for the discomfort you are experiencing.
 
@kaw205 @Jamie first, I'd like to thank both of you for your words of encouragement. Karen, I will get on my bike as soon as I get back in FL. Yep! That bruise is where the bruise and dimple were. Now it's just a tender bruise. Who would have thought it would still be here? The kidney thing is a pain-in-the-butt. Too big a stone to pass, did not respond to Lithotripsi, meds aren't reducing its size. Time to go into the kidney to pull the sucker out. I will add Tylenol to my ibuprofen. I had to take a Nucynta 50mg. today and it helped so much!
 
Oh, another thing I learned in my knee class yesterday is that they will not give me pain meds unless I ASK for them. Geez! I hope I have good nurses....
 
Oh, another thing I learned in my knee class yesterday is that they will not give me pain meds unless I ASK for them. Geez! I hope I have good nurses....

Yep, that's very typical of hospitals today. You (or an advocate for you that might be staying with you in the hospital) have to be very proactive to be sure you ask for pain meds BEFORE you really need them. You might even want to set an alarm on your phone for every 4 hours just so you are alerted and aware that you can take them to stay ahead of the pain.
 
She's right, Karen. I learned that the hard way during one of my hip replacements. With all my subsequent surgeries, I used the alarm on my phone and set it to every 4 hours. Also, if you find one painkiller isn't working, feel free to ask them to switch it out for another.

When you are discharged, you're going to find that they sent you home with a new RX with a paltry amount of painkillers written on it. Be prepared to call your OS relatively quickly and ask if your sister can pick you up another RX.

We're here for you.
 
Further note: I deal with joint stiffness all day and night long. Today, I took a two hour nap and slept the entire time on my back with both legs straight out. When I woke up, it felt like the knee fairy came in while I slept and covered both knees with sand. Lifting them to bend them was tough and they were so stiff. I wonder sometimes if it's possible for the scar tissue fairy to come in and try to build her tissue in such a short amount of time?
 
thanks, Robyn,
I'm pretty sure I'll see my doctor's PA before discharge and I'll try and get enough to last me awhile since, when the sisters are gone, I'll have to fine someone to drive the 45 min to the OS office. I understand they can't be called in. One more thing to remember......:sigh:
 
@kaw205 Definitely use your alarm. With my 2nd knee I had a really sweet night nurse on my 1st & 2nd nights. The 1st night she let me sleep 2 hours past my 4 hour med mark and I was in tons of pain. The 2nd night I asked her to be sure and wake me so I wouldn't get behind and she promised she would. Well, once again I went way past and woke up in agony. I rang for her and she came right away claiming she had come in and tried to wake me but I wouldn't wake up. I found that hard to believe. So, the next night I set my alarm!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom