TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janet, I read almost every page of your recovery thread- from the horrors of knee #1 all the way through to knee 2, and I have to tell you, you are the bravest person I know. I thought my hospital experience was crappy being hot and under-medicated and all, but yours takes the cake! And then to read that your round 2 was even worse???? Those threads are the stuff nightmares are made of. We have to tread carefully because Kaw205 is having her first one done in January.

Don't want to scare anyone, just keeping it real. Actually, I realize now my 1st really wasn't so bad, LOL! The hospital was the worst of it. If only they would listen to us and treat us as patients, not statistics. And stop dismissing our concerns already! Yes, yes, they've seen it all possibly 1,000s of times but for us it's a first or maybe a 2nd. The next medical person to tell me "it's normal" could find themselves in danger of great bodily harm :)
 
LOL, not to worry. Some the threads do scare the heck out of me, but I feel more prepared because of them.
I know I have to be assertive regarding pain control while in the hospital, and ice and elevate when I get home.
Set alarms for the pain meds, etc. and get advice from all of you bonesmarties when I need it!
Even my co-worker who has had a great recovery got off to a rough start in the hospital.
Robyn, I'll email you a link to the research study.
Karen
 
@gr82cu2, I appreciate your honesty and have been following your thread since the beginning.
It really seemed like this one was going to be a walk in the park until all heck broke loose.
I hope every day gets better for you. You are in my thoughts.
Karen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mo, when we got to Florida I asked my husband if we could replace the master bath toilet with a "comfort" level one. He didn't think so. I think so! I thought it would help with flex.
 
@Jane B. Definitely change out the toilet. We have one that is chair height and is the only one I've been able to use since my 1st surgery on July 29th. We replaced that one a few years back and thought maybe we should start to make the switch for our golden years. Didn't realize they would be here already :bricks:
 
Hi Motown Girl; I'm thinking of having a conformis knee done. I live in sarasota florida and looking at doing it in fort meyers…would you please reply ? I'd like a little advise on a doctor I'm thinking of.
Many many thanks, steve
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had 3 years tkrs apart. I won't say you forget the dark days of recovery but I found that knowing the good results made me ready to do it again. I am having an even better result (knock wood) with this knee than the first.
(Though I must admit that day 1 in the hospital when they were having trouble getting the pain managed I did say "I did this voluntarily?" ) :wink: Now I'm :)
 
@MotownGirl66

Hi Robyn Meeting up with you on your own thread happy to have found you. Hope you are having a nice day. My neighbor had her hip replaced just about the time that I had my knee surgery she is well over 89 years and seems to have managed so well so when I had my knee replacement I kept thinking if she can do it why is mine taking so long to feel normal she said she did not have any difficulty and considering her age wondered how she managed so great. Now thinking back how much has happened over the past few months as my knee is letting me do a few of the things that were hard maybe just concentrating on my left knee now getting ready for the surgery in December not sure why but it even looks different. It all takes time and seems to take so long sometimes. I was looking at my knee the other day and now noticing the swelling that was there for so long is going down as my knee cap area is a little shriveled looking creases scar looks a little shorter as my scar was 11 inches long 45 stitches now knee is looking a little better.

Seems like things seem to get stuck and nothing happens for a while when you are waiting to get back to normal but then one day you notice how much further you have progressed my knee has changed over the past months now not as swollen which it has been over the past year and a half. Like they told me it can take over a year even over 2 years maybe even longer but one day you look and see without noticing that your knee has come along way. My first replacement was difficult but finally I can see the promised light at the end of the rainbow. Wishing you all the best Holly
 
Hi Motown Girl; I'm thinking of having a conformis knee done. I live in sarasota florida and looking at doing it in fort meyers…would you please reply ? I'd like a little advise on a doctor I'm thinking of.
Many many thanks, steve
@earthspa I don't know a lot about the physicians in Fort Myers, but I do know 1 that I definitely would not use. His last name is Kagan. I used George Markovich for both my hip replacements, my knee replacement, and all the surgeries to repair my torn meniscus. Markovich has also repaired my husband's rotator cuffs three times (my husband's fault, not the doctors). You can private message me if you'd prefer.

Robyn
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender Hi Holly! I know what you mean about looking at other people who are older than us and thinking that "if they can do it, so I can I". I have a cantankerous uncle in Ohio who had both knees replaced at the same time. He is a crotchety old man....I keep thinking, "If Uncle Bob had both his knees done at once, surely I can get better than him quicker!" I think the difference is that Uncle Bob isn't very active, he's quite bossy, and I am pretty confident he had my Aunt hopping and jumping to his every demand. I am sure he wasn't trying to get the mail, carry a laundry basket to the laundry room, taking the dogs potty every few hours, etc.... LOL. I think his recovery was so unremarkable because he was quite happy with sitting on his throne and having my aunt at his beck & call. In fact, I cannot even imagine him doing physical therapy!

Your surgery is just around the corner! Are you apprehensive? You will do fine! You are a pro at this, right? Have a wonderful day!

Robyn
 
Post op update Week 11: There has been a subtle change starting in week 10. My knee has more of a shape so I guess the swelling isn't as bad. I still get stiff but it isn't as noticeable as it was before week 10. If I am in a car and the ride is 30+ minutes, when I step out of the car I am stiff for a few steps. The knee is still on my mind 100% of the time when I am walking but it isn't as much as an effort to walk normally as it once was.

In week 10, I did have that weird tight rubber band/tourniquet feeling for about two days but that disappeared. It didn't hurt, but I recognized it from reading other's threads.

Remember my trouble with the stairs? Well, like I said the change was subtle, now the stairs don't hurt as much as they did before week 10. I was telling my sister, an RN at a large Detroit hospital, that I think my knee prothesis has finally fused with my bone because it feels like "it is one". I don't know if that makes sense but the change in week 10 is hard to describe.

Yesterday morning, I hiked with my family and 5 dogs on terrain that was hilly and uneven. We were gone for probably a good 45 minutes. I made it through the hike and it felt good for my muscles to be used in ways they hadn't for MONTHS - unfortunately, we came in and sat down after the walk. When I stood back up my knee was tight which meant it was a little swollen. I knew instantly I would be paying the price. I took some Aleve but didn't notice any difference. Tried to elevate but was interrupted due to family responsibilities. Went to the grocery store and did Thanksgiving shopping. Came back to the house, took a Naproxen, but didn't notice any difference. Went to bed about 8:30am. I woke up about 2am with moderate pain...tossed and turned for 45+ minutes before saying "heck with this!" I took a Percocet and was finally able to settle down and sleep until 6:30am this morning. So, although I paid the price, the price was not nearly as bad as it had been in the past. In fact, the idea of having knee #2 done doesn't seem as daunting and terrifying as it once did. LOL! For me, that's a huge change!

Have a great day!

Robyn
 
@MotownGirl66

Hi Robyn I think you are right about the reasoning for the people who are older managing easier. My Mom had both knees done the second just two months before mine and she did not understand why I had pt, or needed medications for the pain or why it took 8 weeks till I could start to drive her around again. Thinking she would after having the same surgery but she did not. Know she had pain she told us when she was having it and fussed over how she was feeling told me very little about what to expect so when surgery time came it was a complete surprise. She said she never took pain pills prescribed but know she did as we picked up her refills. Different riding as a passenger then driving as when not driving and taking cabs not worried about how to stop the car or anything else just the cost of the cabs which were getting expensive going to medical appointments.

My Mom was told not to go down to the basement without someone around in case something happened as we were doing her laundry so no need but she did it anyway to prove she could and then hurt her knee. Think it is true at 80 years old she was not that active walked from back door to car so not needing to do too much for herself and even after helping she would not admit she had been given help. Wanted to do whatever she needed to help and daily visited to keep her shopping for groceries and appointments that we took her to but she just did not understand when my time came.

My Dad as the opposite did what he could never made people feel guilty about how he felt and still active up till just before he died he walked amazingly wonderful and tried so hard.

I am not worried about my surgery actually excited as this will be hopefully the solution to making my enjoyment of going for walks even more comfortable. The time is flying fast and now less then a month to go things are just about all ready and happy that I asked to be put on the list and almost time to go. Hope you are doing fine and hope you have a great week. Holly
 
I just caught myself sitting like this, comfortably, with my surgical knee bent, and asked my sister to take this picture.

P.S. This is a really bad picture! Just came in from a long walk in the snow.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] ROUND 2:  MotownGirl made it to the other side
    image.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 189
That is awesome! I'm going to assume that there was no grinding feel or sound now upon bending? Oh, I do look forward to bending like that without hearing and feeling it. Good for you and the picture is not a bad picture at all. Snow - nice for that holiday feeling but then get thyself back to Florida! Actually we are cooling down here once again.
 
Hi Robyn
You actually look comfortable!
I'm traveling to Pa. right now.
It's warm now, but storm coming tomorrow...
 
@Dord6712 Nope no grinding or anything today w/ the new knee. We are in Michigan until 11/30. We drove up from FL 10/26. The cold hasn't affected any of my joint replacements. My hips feel like they've been a part of me my whole life. I pray the new knee turns out the same way. I checked AccuWeather and it said today's high in Florida is 86, with a "real feel" temp of 90! Cannot stand the relentless humidity anymore. My allergies in FLORIDA are so bad.
@kaw205 Please drive safely to PA. Wait, I assumed your driving. Are you flying?
 
You do look comfortable Robyn. And I agree, not a bad picture at all. You don't realize how much you miss being able to comfortable bend your knees until you can't. Congrats on the improvement!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom