TKR ROUND 2: MotownGirl made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do look comfortable Robyn. And I agree, not a bad picture at all. You don't realize how much you miss being able to comfortable bend your knees until you can't. Congrats on the improvement!
Thank you so much! There was a big improvement in week 10.
 
Hi Robyn,
I just re-read your first post op post. You've come a long way since that dreadful day! :dancy:
Have a great Thanksgiving!
 
@kaw205 Thank you - I went back and read my original posts from the first few weeks after surgery and my son commented, "Mom, what's wrong? You should see the look on your face!". I guess re-reading the horrors of the first few weeks took me back to that bad time. In retrospect, I have come a long way. Thank goodness for this thread so we can go back and read what it was like in the early days. You, too, have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Week 13 Post Surgery Update: Have no idea how I got to be writing my threads on odd week, but what the heck, right? We came back to FL last Tuesday (12/2/14) and the ride home was a lot better than the ride up 5 weeks prior. Every time we stopped for gas or breaks at rest areas, I got out and walked and I don't think anyone could tell I'd just had a knee replacement. In fact, in the hotel rooms at night, after driving all day, I did not require the ice machine. I just tried to elevate the minimal swelling there was and continued to rest for the night. Hubby took care of getting us dinner and taking the dogs out for their potty breaks.

This morning, going down the stairs was definitely different in a GREAT way - the pain was about 75% less than it has been even since week 10 (it has steadily decreased since week 10). Okay, that great feeling was at 7am this morning. So I had the bright idea that today would be an outstanding day to have hubby drag all the Christmas decorations out of the attic and set them in the driveway so I could sort and pull out what I wanted. I was bending, stretching, reaching, and carrying. I even carried a Christmas tree into the house. At one point, I was sitting on the concrete driveway sorting ornaments when I needed to get up. That's where the problem began: I tried to get up with my surgical knee first, kind of like leaning on it to push myself up off the ground, but that instinctively felt like a "bad idea". Then I decided to try to use my other knee, the supposably "good one", right? That was not going to work, either. I had no choice but to push myself up like a toddler with my butt up in the air. Boy, that's not something I plan on doing again anytime soon. So, as the morning progressed, the aches set in. Even my normally very pleasant left hip and back are screaming. My right knee is not even talking to me right now, LOL. Everyone is upset.

Yesterday we walked around a small RV Show and I went in and out of RV's several times, up and down steps, and did it holding on to hand grips on both side. There was a ache but not what I'd call a real 'pain', so to speak.

Other than this morning's shenanigan's, I would say the swelling is gone and I just now have a huge knee joint but my husband says it's still swollen. Will the new knee go back to being the same size as it was before? I can feel the curve of my implant at the top of my knee.

Best regards,
Robyn
 
Robyn, nice report :) My 19 week old knee has finally, mostly gotten back to a normal knee shape. Your husband is probably right and yours is still holding fluid in the joint. Once mine let go (still have a tiny bit) I could bend my knee and feel the joint open up like a normal knee. the outline of my knee cap is clear and I can feel the top of the tibia and bottom of the femur which now of course are my implants. Me thinks you might have overdone it a tad yesterday. Take it easy!
 
Hi Robyn,
Well, that's a great report. You know, anyone would have aches and pains after doing all that!
On the rare occasion that I sit on the ground, that is exactly how I get up and I always hope no one is watching! :heehee:.
Take it easy and please stay off the roof!
Karen
 
@kaw205 The roof is the only place I haven't been!

My last few weeks have been hectic - I think I mentioned that at my week 13 Update. The refurbishing of the other home is complete and I have spent the last 4-5 days doing a final cleaning on it with has subsequently caused serious pain in both knees. The movers came yesterday and I ended up logging 7,500 steps and 3.45 miles on my pedometer. Way too much up and down on the floor, way too much walking, way too many flights up and down the stairs at the old house, and definitely getting in and out of the car way too often.

My surgical knee is achy, swollen, and painful. But the real problem is this: I am convinced I have torn my meniscus AGAIN in my left knee - it hurts and, when I am walking, something very painful inside "catches" and pinches me, probably a loose fragment. Naturally I am not expecting it so when it happens I wince out loud. The knee is swollen on both sides as well as the top, and the quad muscle that attaches to the knee is swollen pretty far up, about 4" up my leg. I can squeeze the fluid and move it around, it is like a bubble. I know, I know...I've pretty much broken all the BoneSmart mantras. :banghead: I keep thinking about the one about if if can wait, let it, but I haven't paid attention - guess who is icing and elevating again this evening?

Tomorrow is my 3rd post-surgery follow-up. I still have that weird bruise I posted a photo about several weeks ago but it is less colorful and doesn't grip inside as much when I pinch the skin. I am going to ask him about it. Should I even bother getting another MRI to check my left knee? I've had several torn meniscus before that I recognize the pain. I know it needs to be replaced but I so desperately want to postpone that. I just want to get back to living my life.

If I were a good sport, I would schedule it the same day as @kaw205 so we can recover together, but man, I am so not ready to do this all over again! I am also not in the mood to have the torn meniscus repaired; in fact, I don't think there's much left to repair quite frankly.

Best regards!

Robyn
 
Robyn....one thought about that second knee. The sooner you get it done, the sooner you will really be back to a normal life again. Delaying the surgery if it needs to be replaced just drags your overall recovery out over more and more months.

I'm sorry you're hurting, but at least you do know why! I hope your honest posts will keep someone else from overdoing things too soon in recovery. Now take things easy for a bit and put yourself first!!!
 
Hi Robyn,
Well, I'm glad you're seeing your OS tomorrow. He can probably steer you in the right direction. It does sound like a meniscal tear. Probably no use fixing it at this point.
Maybe a cortisone injection might give you some relief even if it's temporary.
I would love to have you as a recovery buddy! I have my pre-admission appt. at the hospital scheduled as well as my pre-op work with my primary doctor. Yikes! This is getting serious...:yikes:
Well, keep icing those angry knees and let us know how it goes with the OS tomorrow.
(((hugs)))
Karen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kaw205 Your surgery date is fast approaching! Wish I could be with you to help you out. Yep, the new house is one-story (thank goodness) but we are still at the other home until after my son returns to college the first week of January. I wanted things to remain status-quo for him over the holidays and the completion his first semester. You were right - the doctor said no point in doing a meniscal tear repair @ this point because I really need to get the knee switched out. He gave me a cortisone injection, like you said, to get me through the holidays and, in January, we will resume those weekly Supartz shots until I am ready to go under the knife again. I spent all yesterday afternoon, yesterday evening, and all night long resting and elevating. The ice seemed to be ineffective for some reason.

I went to my doctor's appointment this morning and then also had to have a K.U.B. x-ray done for my 8mm kidney stone I am currently hosting in my left kidney. But now, since about 1pm, I am resting in bed and hoping to pretty much spend the rest of the weekend like this with the exception of a Christmas party tomorrow night. It hurts to walk on my "good" knee worse than my replacement knee.

Take care!

Robyn
 
So your replaced knee has become the good knee. I guess that's good news--sort of. Sorry about the other knee problems. I hope the injection helps you get through the holidays ok.
 
Week 15 Post Surgery Update: Okay - well, I am not sure that my recovery is on track anymore. I have a torn meniscus in what used to be my 'not-as-bad knee' (the left knee). Subsequently, I am only able to put make about 15% of my weight on it. It's not full weight bearing at all. Getting up and down into seats is problematic as is getting in and out of cars, etc... My right knee, with the new replacement, is now taking the brunt of everything. It's strong as heck, it's not going anywhere, but it does ache because it is now being asked to do the work of two knees. I was very good this past weekend and iced and elevated, but as soon as I stop, everything goes back to the way it was.

I am really struck between a rock and a hard place. I am going back to Michigan January 10th for two weeks to continue our house search - I hope to make that trip but why bother renting a home when it will just sit vacant for a few months while I recover back in FL from having that darn knee replaced? My doctor gave me a cortisone shot last Friday but, by this morning, it has worn off. How is that possible?

I really do not want to get my other knee replaced but Jamie brings up a good point. I am also remembering the gosh-awful hospital stay I had, plus the horrible pain - you all know what it is like. It flat out stinks big time!

Best regards,

Robyn
 
Robyn, I'm so sorry! I tore the meniscus in both my knees summer 2013, one right after the other. It is horribly painful. Honestly, I think the pain was worse than this TKR pain in a lot of ways. For me, the cortisone shots quit working. At first they would hold me 4-6 months and the time between kept diminishing until they no longer worked at all and that's when I knew I had to do the TKRs. Yes, the thought of going thru another TKR is not a happy thought but you know that's the only thing that's going to fix you. That's how I had to look at it. I wanted it to be over so I can get on to a pain free knee life. So, I did the 2nd one 14 weeks after the first and here I am still in recovery but I know days ahead will get better. Eventually they will :) (((hugs)))
 
I am really struck between a rock and a hard place.
Oh, yes you are!!! You are in a very difficult dilemma!
y doctor gave me a cortisone shot last Friday but, by this morning, it has worn off. How is that possible?
For some, cortisone does not work, or work long at all---unfortunately, it depends on the individual. I had a set of three shots over eight months that got me relief, but even they began to wear off sooner with each injection.

Now, as for SynVisc, I got three days of relief from the shots, but had to take the other two shots in each knee---several frineds of mine did get almost two years of relief from SynVisc.
 
Hi Robyn,
Well, if you get another ConforMis, it will take some time until you have your CT scan and they make the knee.
Does your OS only work out of one hospital?
I can understand your not wanting to go through this again so soon, but what @gr82cu2 said makes sense. Right now, you're in pain anyway, so maybe you should just "Bite the bullet" and get it over with and all will be well by summer. :dancy: Then, when you're recovered, we can meet in the middle of the state and celebrate :cheers: !!!
It's a big decision to make. Try to enjoy the holidays and your answer will come.....
(((hugs)))
Karen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom