THR Rosalita's Recovery Thread

Stay strong @Rosalita just remember that you can say no to the exercises.. you don't need to give it a meager attempt,, just say no.

No pain, all gain is the motto.

I bet driving did feel so good to you and for you! You needed that and needed to experience the improvements with your hip.
You are so early into your recovery, let yourself heal and recover. then you will do just fine. :flwrysmile:
 
If you aren't comfortable with telling the PT person no @Rosalita I would just call them and tell them you don't want anyone coming to the house during the COVID crisis. I wouldn't want anyone coming into my house right now and especially someone seeing multiple people a day. No one is going to question you about not wanting people coming to your house right now.
 
Stay strong @Rosalita just remember that you can say no to the exercises.. you don't need to give it a meager attempt,, just say no.

No pain, all gain is the motto.

I bet driving did feel so good to you and for you! You needed that and needed to experience the improvements with your hip.
You are so early into your recovery, let yourself heal and recover. then you will do just fine. :flwrysmile:
Thank you so much Cricket Hip! Today is 3 weeks since the surgery and I feel SO much better. No more pain meds or muscle relaxants so now my stomach isn't upset, my head is a lot clearer and I even went down to visit my garden today. The little shower chair with the adjustable leg lengths makes a great weeding chair! I sat on it and used the hoe to pull up weeks and to pull them towards me so I could shake the dirt out of the root clump. Wow, it was so fun. Then I visited the barn, said hello to my tractor and then got in the car and drove home before I got too carried away. Now I am lying in bed with my ice pack and tens unit. Feeling so much less scared and even hopeful! There will be life after hip replacement YES!!
 
Hi Rosalita, Happy Tuesday!
It is nice to hear from you. Post Op Blues is very common in early recovery. Many of us can relate. So please don’t hesitate to stop by when you’re feeling down because we may be able to help lift your spirits a bit. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

I’m happy to read the Physicians Assistant advised you to skip exercises that cause you pain or discomfort. Hopefully by giving you a nod to do so, you feel more confident in telling your physical therapist, NO.
I am concerned though that PT continues to visit during this time of social distancing and self isolating. If you’re practicing what’s been advised, it’s risky allowing PT into your home right now.
Take care, be safe and stay well!
@Rosalita
Layla, You have just voiced my current concern. The PT comes and I have asked her to wear a mask, which she does, but even that does not address the issue of distancing since she is taking blood pressure, temp, pulse, etc. I am thinking that this is not safe since she goes from one house to another. I am sure the big corporation that she works for(Encompass Health Care) is trying to get as much medicaire $ as they can in this economy. I think this may be a bad idea. Just as bad or worse for her as it is for me. I think you are right. Thank you.
 
If you aren't comfortable with telling the PT person no @Rosalita I would just call them and tell them you don't want anyone coming to the house during the COVID crisis. I wouldn't want anyone coming into my house right now and especially someone seeing multiple people a day. No one is going to question you about not wanting people coming to your house right now.
You are so right. I am going to call her tomorrow. Thank you!!
 
Glad to hear you're felling much better @Rosalita. Time, rest, ice, and gentle walking will keep you on the right track. Enjoy the garden but try not to do too much, pretty much everyone here has joined the ODIC (over did it club) at about your stage of recovery, you start to feel so much better that you try to do too much and your hip won't tell you it's too much until later that night or the next day.:no-fin:
 
Glad to hear you're felling much better @Rosalita. Time, rest, ice, and gentle walking will keep you on the right track. Enjoy the garden but try not to do too much, pretty much everyone here has joined the ODIC (over did it club) at about your stage of recovery, you start to feel so much better that you try to do too much and your hip won't tell you it's too much until later that night or the next day.:no-fin:
YUP,did overdo it a little yesterday. Not too bad. Lucky or me it is raining out so I won't be tempted (hopefully) to do much today.
 
Ice, rest then repeat! :ice::yawn: :sleep:
Hopefully resting today has you feeling better tomorrow.
Fingers crossed you gave PT the old heave-ho for now :fingersx:
Wishing you a peaceful day! :)
@Rosalita
 
I'm 9 weeks out from my hip surgery and I have found that doing the pt exercises at home have even made my recovery worse. So, I stopped, relaxed, slept in my recliner until I could get into the bed. Now I am doing so much better.
I'm with Bonesmart on the thought that all is needed for the hip recovery is walking, icing, resting.
:wave: :thumb:
 
There is nothing like getting near the garden to lift the spirits. You are doing so great and things will continue to improve. Keep taking it slow and steady and all will be well. Stay safe and healthy.
 
Ice, rest then repeat! :ice::yawn: :sleep:
Hopefully resting today has you feeling better tomorrow.
Fingers crossed you gave PT the old heave-ho for now :fingersx:
Wishing you a peaceful day! :)
@Rosalita
Yes, I am PT free. Once it sunk in with me that having a person in my home who is visiting multiple people a day is plain stupid in this time of covid 19, it was pretty easy to get out.
Ice and rest are great but I also want to mention that I have always used tens units for pain and it is working very well for me now.
Rural mail truck came up my road yesterday. The driver told me that he had hip replacement 2 years ago and never had a bit of pain!! He had the same surgeon and the same anterior approach. He said "make sure you do the PT!!"
 
My OS said no PT needed although he did still give me a script for it. The first week a PT came to the house. She was great as she didn’t push anything. Instead she just showed me how to do things like get in and out of vehicle (they had shown me that in hospital but she went over it again), go down the couple steps to my sewing room, do a couple exercises, etc. but she didn’t insist I do anything. I did go to a couple PT sessions after that but at my first checkup with OS, he repeated that no PT was needed plus I’d read it a lot here on the forum so I didn’t go any more and I did just fine.

It might be my imagination but it seems to be that many of the people here on the forum who have the extra aches and pains are those that are doing PT. Once they stop, most seem to improve. Others keep at it as they truly feel they need to work on their recovery.

I’m glad you have stopped and in spite of what the mail carrier said, I think you made the right decision. I was told walking alone is all the exercise needed. Hopefully you can get out for some walks as the weather improves. I wish you all the best.
 
Rural mail truck came up my road yesterday. The driver told me that he had hip replacement 2 years ago and never had a bit of pain!! He had the same surgeon and the same anterior approach. He said "make sure you do the PT!!"
You will hear this over and over. I really think to some it's like a badge of honor to brag about being pain free or doing rigorous PT. I believe they believe this because they don't know that you will be fine without PT because they didn't experience it. As far as the pain goes I think it's a memory they block out or don't want to admit. They would tell me all kinds of stories and tell me how I'll never recover properly without PT. You have an advantage in finding this community of people that have experienced recovery and offer their experiences. Once the healing progresses then you will be able to add some PT to your routine to get you to the level of function that you want.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re feeling less pain and enjoying some progress.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@Rosalita
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Rosalita!
We hope you’re doing well and would love to read an update when time allows.
Hopefully all is well.
Enjoy the upcoming holiday weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Rosalita
 
Hey Rosalita!
The Bruce Springsteen song comes to mind every time I see your name.
Remember that one? A little back to the 70’s memory. :)

We hope all is well with you.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
@Rosalita
 
Hey Rosalita!
The Bruce Springsteen song comes to mind every time I see your name.
Remember that one? A little back to the 70’s memory. :)

We hope all is well with you.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
@Rosalita
Layla, Thanks for the 3 month anniversary post hip replacement. Unfortunately, I am not celebrating. I am now diagnosed with iliopsoas tendinitis. It is so painful and the pain has prevented me from getting back to life. I have a costisone injection, with ultrasound, scheduled for Monday set up by my surgeon. I hope this helps although I am very afraid since I really thought a hip replacement would result in reducing my pain and now I have the same amount of pain, maybe more, just in a different place. I am very frustrated and I don't have much faith in the medical community.
 
Hello @Rosalita
I’m sorry you’re in so much pain. I hope the injection you receive on Monday brings you speedy relief. Please keep us posted. Following is an article from the BoneSmart that may interest you if you haven‘t read it already.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom