Guest viewing is limited

TKR ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you so much. I will try some of these. I have done Roy"s. Iam not getting anywhere. I do some then my knee balloons up. I don't get it though my Dr. checks it when Iam on the table in his office. the hospital checks it when Iam in a chair. You get 2 different reads. Which one is right?
 
Hi Judgar, I have the same thing going on. that I do exercise and my knee starts to swell. It is getting better. I just keep using ice packs when that occurs. I drive 20 minutes, my knee swells, I am in church an hour and get up every 15 minutes or more, knee swells with ice pack on. I mentioned it to the therapist and she says this is normal. I am sure eventually the swelling will stop. Good luck to you. :friends:
 
I do some then my knee balloons up.
I deduce from that you're doing too much. Could you post up what your exercise regime is?

The exercises shouldn't hurt, you shouldn't put force through the knee, and swelling is a fairly sure sign of over-stressing.
 
Judgar, I'm looking for appropriate ways to increase my ROM to, at this point I don't know what it is. After an aggressive weight session in P/T and returning to work full-time :yikes: things are a little fuzzy in the ROM/recovery process. :groan: Good luck!
 
I don't get it though my Dr. checks it when Iam on the table in his office. the hospital checks it when Iam in a chair. You get 2 different reads. Which one is right?

If it stops you trying too hard, the highest one!

Forget about measurements and readings, all you need is sufficient for what you need for your lifestyle. If it's greater than a right angle, then never measure it again. Just get on with normal life and let it come, which it will, particularly if you don't force it.
 
Roy I do yours on your post. I lay on the floor slide the leg down the wall. The thing is I can go up the stairs normal now with no problem. but to bend other times its a pain. I will just keep plugging along
tykey I like the way you think about it just get on with a normal life. Thank you everyone for your ideas
 
If you can go up stairs normally, then you are virtually fully mended. Don't imagine you will ever be able to fully squat, very, very, few ever manage that! Limbo dancing is also over for you as well I'm afraid.
Lack of total bend, and uncomfortable kneeling are two things we have to live with. Compared to what went before, it's a very small price to pay:yes:.

Good luck,
 
I lost some ROM. I was 100 now I am 90 to 95.
That's not a lost, that's a very, very tiny and perfectly normal variance!
Yesterday I felt great, the knee felt good. Now today that awful tight feeling is back
I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] ROM
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (details would be appreciated!)
 
Thanks for your support and I hope you are doing better. I also feel tightness and swell up but I guess it is part of the package. Today I had PT and went shopping for a short time so now I am sitting with ice on my knee. I really miss taking a nice warm bubble bath but I guess I won't be doing that for awhile.
 
tykey I like the way you think about it just get on with a normal life.

I see you are still stressing though:)
Give yourself a Xmas present by walking the talk, you know it makes sense:tada:

Treat yourself to a bubble bath, being served with mince pies and cake, sipping copious quantities of pink champagne in a fluted glass, being serenaded by someone dear to you.:cheers2:

You deserve to treat yourself gently.

... Nothing bad will happen, have a great Xmas:cheers:
 
I also feel tightness and swell up but I guess it is part of the package. Today I had PT and went shopping for a short time so now I am sitting with ice on my knee. I really miss taking a nice warm bubble bath but I guess I won't be doing that for awhile.
Hi Twiggy, I understand what you are saying . You had both knees done, 2 days before I had my RTKR. I give you a lot of credit for doing both at the same time or maybe you had to. I can't imagine right now doing this before more than a year. Am praying that other knee holds on. I feel the same tightness and swell up also and PT reassures me that it is normal and I just keep icing. I had the same experience as you I went to post office (no line it was early), UPS store, PT, and did some shopping and came home. Sons had to retrieve nags from car. Sat down and rested for half hour then had another appt. in late afternoon. I dropped my script off and by the time I got home I was more than done. Ice, Ice Ice...
As for the bath I started taking a bath at about 4 and a half weeks. I had healed outside and most steri-strips were off . My tub is deeper so I had to be able to lift my leg up high enough to get in and out safely. I have safety bars everywhere. Do you feel safe and able to get in and out of the tub as you had bilateral TKR? Wishing you a happy holiday and hope you are feeling real good real soon. :dancy: :ereindeer:
 
I had to have both knees done because they were so bad. I am so happy that I did because I don't think I could have done the therapy I do with one bad knee. I dont have bars on my tub and someone told me you can't get in a normal bathtub after having double knee surgery but I'm sure I will be able to. I hope you have a great holiday and continue to improve.
 
Thank you so much Twiggy for the well wishes. You do the same.Today is a good day. Some are better than others. I bet you probably could get in a normal bath tub. You could. I would feel better with railings or something to hold on to. though my tub is deeper than a regular tub I still need something to pull up on. Holidays right around the corner, you have a good one as well. Enjoy, relax, and rest. :mer xm::presnt::nativity::huggy santa::kitty chris::sleigh:
 
Today, at 14 months postop bilateral, I got in the tub. It is a high whirlpool and I have to lift my legs high to get in. I sat on a low stool in the tub and really enjoyed the whirlpool, first time I tried it because I knew my hobby could not help me, so I either stood or used the tub chair, but there is nothing like a whirlpool bath. Later, I will try the above method to get down in the tub fully but do not feel ready for that as yet. My issue is not healing or incision, but rather being agile enough to get down in the deep tub and then up again.
 
I like the concept of trying to move away from measurement of rom as we go along, last year when I was in rehab, I would hide my pt's measuring tool when it was time to do so. What a great guy he was.
 
does anyone leg get tight I mean the whole leg. Not all the time just some of the time
 
@judgar "does anyone leg get tight I mean the whole leg. Not all the time just some of the time"

Sounds like you have the tight band feeling, mine goes 6 to 7 inches above my knee, and 3 to 4 inches below my knee.
 
Yes. I do. Sometimes upper thigh and calf too


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom