Guest viewing is limited

TKR ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
judgar You made a new thread and we prefer you stick with just one thread in recovery. Otherwise we all keep repeating ourselves.

First of all, did you read the articles I left for you? Back in post #15. I see I merged your threads there as well and gave you an article to read about why we prefer it.

I also left you some questions which I would be grateful if you would answer.

Finally, your PT should NOT hurt you at all. You shouldn't have to ask her to stop, tell her up front NO PAIN! It's not necessary and can do you more harm than good. Please read the articles. They are essential for you right now.

Do let me know if you have problems navigating the site. I am here to help.
 
why does my leg feel so tight. no pain just feels really tight. what can I do to help this go away
 
Hello judgar. I like most people on this forum also have this tight feeling. I am at 11 weeks now and unfortunately this hasn't improved. Josephine gave a link on one of the threads to an article about this which explains about the healing process. I think you will find it in the library section. I have found tremendous support and information from this forum and I hope you do to.
I see that you have a very new knee so you are doing very well if you have no pain, although when you read this article you will see that the tightness is pain.
Hope you continue to improve and if you have any questions or concerns you will find this forum invaluable. :)
 
I recall it as a tight rubber band feeling and I commented on it on my recovery thread back a couple of months ago. Now going on 5 months post surgery... I have to say it is GONE!~ I have not really thought about it much... but I do not have it anymore! I still have some numbness on each knee on the outside part of the knee. So figure that tight feeling will be gone by the 4 month after surgery or so.:)
 
@Gazelle that is such fantastic news for all of us. It will be wonderful when I don't think about it - I can't wait and i'm sure judgar is the same.:yay:
 
@Gazelle that is such fantastic news for all of us. It will be wonderful when I don't think about it - I can't wait and i'm sure judgar is the same.:yay:

Hi Speedy! I believe that the tight feeling is the angry tissue in your knee that is still swollen and inflamed while healing. I think knowing what causes it helps the mind to accept it as a temporary inconvience. Think of it as part of the healing process. :)
 
thank you for the response. this is driving me nuts. so what I gather is just time. sitting watching T.V is getting to me. I just wish time would jump forward. Thanks again
 
I feel the same way- wish time could jump ahead!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
If only...:)

We all just need to be patient and believe it will happen, celebrating any little improvements along the way. However, bingonut and judgar you are still very early in your healing process. I certainly didn't see any progress for quite a few weeks and was beginning to despair that I would ever improve, especially when visitors who came to see me expected me to be up and running after a few weeks. I began (and still do) think that some think I am a hypochondriac, which I most certainly am not, it's just that there is not always much to report in the way of progress from when they asked the previous week. However, we will all get there and bless the day we had it done.
:dancy:
Thankyou gazelle7777
 
I am at almost 7 weeks and I still have it to an extent..when I am walking, my knee still feels like I have rubberbands along the tops of my knees....we should from the rubberband club !:heehee:
 
why does my leg feel so tight. no pain just feels really tight.
swelling and possibly fluid
what can I do to help this go away
- Wait. Seriously, healing just carries on
- Follow the BoneSmart mantras
- gentle stretches. A rocking chair is the best; just sit and rock and the knee will gently bend -- don't go past the point of pain.
 
You express one of the universal complaints of TKR recovery. It's so variable.
 
Just read your information on using a rocking chair Roy Gardiner. I've just sat in mine but felt a bit like the mother in Psycho - don't think I was doing it right. Perhaps the chair is too low? I made sure to keep an eye out for a mad knife-man whilst I was trying to give this a go. Must be in the technique and I obviously don't have any! :umm:
 
Feet flat on the floor. Rock forward.

This will flex the knee joint, stop when it starts to hurt and rock back again. Repeat loads.

Or see my exercises thread (link from my sig below) and see how to do it using a skateboard.
 
Roy is right on target. That tight feeling is swelling. It can be there even if you don't see it. The knee compartment is very compact and it doesn't take much fluid to give you that tightness and pain. It's a sign you need to watch your activity level and be sure you're resting, icing and elevating as much as possible. Ice will go a long way to reduce swelling....so consider it any time you are not up on your feet (even at night when sleeping).
 
I use to have a tight band feeling on my right thigh just above my kneecap. My new P/T in-home for my left knee said my muscles were tight. I think she called it the patella tendon. Anyway, she massaged it a couple of times and it's gone. Now I only have tightness in my knee cap, which also loosens up with massages, icing/elevating and stretching. It comes back the shortly after I stop doing the above things, or I'm move around too much.

speedy2 :rofsign:laughing at your Norman Bates' mom and the wheel chair comment. :yikes: For some reason I remember a sheer canopy moment, with him getting entangled up in it at the end of the movie. lol :scary:I don't have a rocking chair, but I do have an Ab Crunch chair that I have put to good use for my knees. I'm afraid it wasn't getting much action for it's original design. lol The good news is, I won't have nightmares after stretching. :scare:

Anyway, I'm thankful that the upper tight band feeling is gone. I look forward to the day that the whole leg(s) is functioning normally. So, hang in there judgar we will get there! :friends:
 
How long are you usually in pt 1 month 2 month or what.? Is it up to the Dr.?
 
Hi, no it's up to you, and it really depends on what you mean by PT. The concensus on here is that PT should only mean gentle exercises, often just on your own, but some people prefer support from a professional.

As such, PT can go on as long as you choose, I still do stretches although my knee was fixed some years ago.
 
I had in home PT 2x/wk for about 4 wks. This was easy gentle movements and some massage over some tight muscles. With the first knee I then went to OP PT 2-3x/wk for 4 wks to gain some more strength and mobility. With the second knee I am choosing to just do my exercises at home with weights (ankle wts - very sm. wt still and will continue to increase v v v slowly) and my recumbent bicycle to build up stamina and strength but again very slowly with adding resistance and time. It depends on you and how you are doing and what you feel you need as well as your OS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom