Guest viewing is limited

TKR ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went for about 3 1/2 months. the first couple of weeks I went three times a week, then it went to twice a week and finally the last month and a half I only went one day a week. I just finished last week.
 
judgar Please don't keep starting new threads. It means that you are not going back to previous threads you've started - since you don't appear to ever post in them but once - and therefore we are wasting our time replying to you.

I have merged your threads again as per this request One thread for your recovery please?
 
I just wish time would jump forward. Thanks again

We all just need to be patient and believe it will happen, celebrating any little improvements along the way.
Recovery from a TKR or a BTKR can take quite some time---longer than many of us---actually any of us---would wish it to be.

You have to be patient and understand that it often took years for your knees to require this surgery---so a few months or so---up to a year---is not all that long.

Also recognize that your knee or knees have sustained major surgical trauma and you will need quite some time for the knee to heal.

I went to PT twice a week for close to five months, and I would go to the gym on Saturdays to stretch and ride an exercise bike, too.
 
Well went to Dr today. I lost some ROM. I was 100 now I am 90 to 95. He said start my stretching every hour on the hour. So I guess I have to be better at this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Judgar, I had my surgery the day before you and this past week I know I lost some ROM and my knee suddenly turned black and blue. I did overdo it but have been doing my exercises which I hadn't done in a few days and I'm sure I'm back now. Hang in there. It will get better. :flwrysmile:
 
He said start my stretching every hour on the hour.
One activity that may help you---it certainly helped me---was to use a heating pad on my quads and my hamstrings to loosen the muscles up; hence,the term, "warming up." Warmer muscles are looser and tend to stretch better.
 
referee54. that what my dr. told me to do. I thought what never heard of that So thank you for reminding me.
 
Can you take a shower yet? I was held out of that for about four or so weeks. Anyway, I would go into the shower, sit on the shower stool, and just let the hot water hit my quads---and I could do some mild gentle exercises in the shower while sitting to stretch them out, too.
 
good idea. thank you very much. I need all the help I can get
 
Today was a bad day. Yesterday I felt great, the knee felt good. Now today that awful tight feeling is back. When is this going to be over with. I am getting so depressed
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Those knees have a minds of their own. Some days good and others not so. It is such a big surgery that it takes a while and it takes a toll on our emotions. It will get there but it does take a while and much patience is needed - the hardest thing at times. Lee:console2: :flwrysmile:
 
today was a bad day. Yesterday I felt great the knee felt good now today that awfull tight feeling is bad today. when is this going to be over with. Iam getting so depressed
Recovering from a TKR is very much like a roller coaster ride. You will have some good days, some great days here and there, and some real stinkers, too. I gave up trying to figure out whymy knees would act up---often, I could not pinpoint why one of them would feel tight or stiffen up on me.

You just have to understand that this is not q quick trip---it is more like riding in a Conestoga wagon and that it will take some time to reach your destination of being fully recovered.

when is this going to be over with. Iam getting so depressed
I kept asking myself the same question. It took me five months to lose the pesky little limp and it was eight months before I felt "really pretty good." These things take time and you need to be patient.
 
I did the shower thing boy does that work I could bend my leg so much further. thank you so much for telling me about that
 
I am glad that things helped out some---just keep gently doing it and you will slowly see some progress---remember; we have some good days and there will be some not-so-good-days tossed in there, too.
 
I need some exercises to help my rom. so can anyone help me with this. Iam done with pt
 
judgar Roy Gardiner has some excellent exercises. You can search for them or tag him. Also, you can check out you tube. My problem is extension and I am soooo struggling with that.
 
What is your ROM right now? Well, no matter, because whether your knee is a snail or a racehorse, it cannot be improved through aggressive means. My favorite -- not one I did but one I heard about -- is doing three bends and three extensions each hour, quite slowly and holding the stretch 60 seconds. You go to the point of discomfort but not pain. That's it. ROM is not something that can be hurried; do that and you'll get more inflammation and swelling which stalls progress.
 
Ride an exercise bike---start out with no tension and slowly raise the tension.

Sit in an office chair with casters---keeping your foot of the surgical knee flat on the floor---slowly and gently roll the chair back and forth to the point of discomfort and no further---this will slowly stretch the quads out.

Sit in a rocking chair---again, keep the foot of the surgical knee flat on the floor and rock back and forth---again, to the point of discomfort.

Are you capable of using a heating pad? Heat the quads up before you do your exercises---the heat will allow the quad or the hamstring to gain some flexibility and stretch the muscles.

Again, use a heating pad if possible before you do this---get ankle weights with adjustable weights---after heating the quad---hang the surgical knee for 30 seconds at a time over the edge of the bed or the arm of the couch. You will be stretching the quads; you can do the same thing with the hamstrings by lying face down on the bed, hanging the surgical knee over the edge of the bed, and let gravity do its work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom