TKR Roller Coaster Ride Number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mystikfairy61 Donna, is the Levaquin working?
I have taken that over about ten years. the odd thing was with this bronchitis it didn't knock it out, so
I had to get a different antibiotic that did. It was called Ceftin. Keep that name in your back pocket ...
Are you feeling better? ((Hugs))
 
@MajorHeidi Thanks for asking. The cough is better, not coughing as much as I was for sure. And I don't feel as bad as I did, so hopefully it is on the way out!! Had my first PT session today, holidays kind of messed it up. When I had my intake last week, my flexion was at 54 and today it was 90, so I feel really good about that. Extension is awesome, made it to completely flat. Had my staples out yesterday, YIKES!! they were painful, even with pain meds taken before I went in. Had to get nurse to stop several times while taking them out, and I had 26 so it was can you say RUFF, lol!! She put steri strips on and all but 4 fell off by last night. So after my PT, I am sitting here icing and watching TV. Went to my pain management doctor yesterday and they are going to do my pain meds for me so that keeps me from having to get them from my OS. They put me back on the Percocet 5/325 and I am taking one every 6 hours but I am taking 2 for now before PT. Hope everyone has a good day!!

Oh I thought about this after the fact. Yesterday before I got my staples out the PA came in to see how I was doing. He asked me to drop my leg off the side of the bed and then he proceeded to push on my ankle to get a bend he wanted, I was ready to slap him!! This irritated my knee for sure and I think made it worse taking my staples out because I was in pain from the bend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh on the staples, that sounds painful.
And, so did the ankle movement without warning you.....

Hope your cough is getting better daily.
 
Well I have hit the no sleeping at night zone. It is 5am and I am up and have been up since around 2am. Hoping I can get a little more sleep, have PT at noon today!!
 
2 weeks and 2 days today and will be having PT session number 2. When I had my intake last week my bend was at 54 and this week on Tuesday I got it to 93. Was pretty uncomfortable, felt really tight but I know with all that has been done to it that it is normal. My PT has no problem backing off if what she asks me to do is too uncomfortable, which I am glad of. I have asked them to see if I am ready to go to outpt PT at the hospital and she said she would discuss it with Valerie who did my intake and I may find out today. Not looking forward to it but I know that it is a necessary part of recovery. I am hoping that today goes as good as Tuesday did, because I didn't have much swelling. When I went to my pain management doc on the 1st, we were going to change my pain meds to every 6 hours but after my PT I found that I still need every 4 hours for now. Maybe in the next couple of weeks I can try to go to every 6 hours again. I don't think I mentioned that when I went to my pain mgmt doc that I got the results of my MRI that was done. I had one back in 2010 and had some changes in L3 and L4 in my low back, and was glad to find that there haven't been any additional changes since then. I only have some narrowing of the canal that the spinal nerve passes thru but it is not compressing the nerve very much, as well as the disc is bulged slightly and there is a little degenerative bone changes in that area. Hoping I can go another 4-5 years with no changes. Hope everyone's day is wonderful and as pain free as possible!! Will update again later.
 
The staples sound awful. So sorry you had to go through that, @mystikfairy61 ... good to hear about the bend; also good to hear your back hasn't gotten worse. Can't believe it's only been two weeks. It sounds like you are doing well, despite some of the bumps in the road. Hope your PT continues to go okay.
 
Hi all feeling much better. I had my next to the last home PT yesterday and I found out that my right leg is just a little under 1/2 inch longer now than the left but it isn't too bad. I will be starting outpt PT on Tuesday. Stil only getting about 94 on my flexion, but I am hoping when I get to out patient where I can use the bike that it will improve. My extension is perfect. Quad muscle is still really tight, but I know that will get better with time as well. I am 3 weeks out today. I took a dose of pain meds at 2pm and before I realized it, it was 8pm and I haven't needed any. Will just wait and take it before bed. Sorry I haven't been on much lately. Hope everyone is doing good and has a restful night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Donna, I've just been stalking your thread. I think you are doing pretty good. I hope you can keep your pain controlled. I'm learning that is key. Take Care. -- Joni
 
Thanks @Djbrund and @Celle. I am actually pretty pleased with the 94. I have been doing some light exercises that were recommended such as heel slides. My main problem is that my quad muscle near the knee is tight. I am using a cane when I go out and nothing at home. When I notice I am limping, I will use either my cane or walker which seems to lessen the limp. I am still icing, elevating and medicating according to BS mantra. I know things will improve, and I am maintaining the positive attitude that I went into the hip with, knowing that it is half the battle. My pain has stayed under control and that has definitely helped tons like you said Joni. Have a great nite!!
 
This is my scar at 3 weeks right after all the strips came off. I feel really lucky,no bruising and only minimal swelling
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Roller Coaster Ride Number 2
    121014135237.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 203
You've got the right attitude to look at it for the long haul. It will improve. :)
 
How are things coming along now, Donna? @mystikfairy61
I went to the Podiatrist about my bone on bone in my feet; he won't do surgery until one year out from
the hip. My left foot is more troublesome, but isn't too bad when walking til after I get done; that's when I feel it.
Oh well, fix one thing, another surfaces. Haha
Hugs
 
@MajorHeidi Sorry to hear about your feet. Hope all goes well for you there. What will they do about your feet? TAs far as me,things are going good here. My bend was 95 at PT yesterday and I have been told I can go back to the Y and do some water exercises. I am only using a cane when I go out for stability but nothing at home. Not really much to tell, pain level is minimal but still a lot of tightness in the quad. I am able to do more around the house, cooked dinner last night and didn't have any additional swelling. Not having any problems sleeping at night but am still on the couch, hope to be able to move back to my bed soon. Thanks for checking in. Keep me posted on how things go with you.
 
You're making progress. You seem to be listening to the knee--so long as "cooked dinner" means something simple. :wink: I like that you're using the cane when you go out--it helps with stability and also fatigue since when you go out you are generally walking longer distances than around the house.
 
Hi Knee twin ( @mystikfairy61 )

took me a while to find your thread....lol but I have been distracted with Holiday Preparations and family. My Daughter and her Boyfriend's birthdays were Sunday and Monday! and keeping up with family and friends during this time of year is a lot. And decorating for Christmas is a big deal at my house and is taking MUCH longer this year.... I have to work for a bit and then rest up so I can go again. However as I sit typing so Ican rest...lol the wrapping is done and most decorating... I have to put away boxes and vacuum... and I should be able to relax before going to my brother's for Christmas Eve.

Can not believe we are 5 weeks and a day out! Standing for long periods and fatigue are still my biggest things to over come. My range of motion is 126 and 0 so I am pretty good. And OMG I actually have been on my knees 3 times now. had to do it. and admit most of my weight is on the non-operative knee. AND I can't use my legs to stand up.... Thank God for arms and furniture to pull up on..lol

you know we really are twins... I had my right hip done 3 years before my knee so we have had both done!

I am doing pretty well. Pain is manageable... so how are you doing? you haven't posted for awhile.

Catherine
 
Do hope you are doing well with your new knee @mystikfairy61 Wishing you a Happy, Healthy & pain free new year...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@momkellz Hi again, sorry I haven't been online lately, I guess Christmas :tree:and New Years :cheers2:took most of my attention as it seems it did for you. :wow: as far as your progress!! Due to the Christmas holidays etc, I have only gotten to go to PT 4 times since the surgery plus a few at the house. My bend was 100 last week and extension was 2. I went for my 6 week with OS and he was :ok:really pleased. I have been off all of my assistive devices for about 2 weeks and can stand on the op leg by itself, woohoo!! :yes!:I don't really have as much of the energy drain as I did with the hip but it definitely swells if I am up on it too long but ice takes care of that.:ice: I can get up without the use of the chair arms but have not tried getting on my knees yet, guess I am a lil scared of that still.:scare: My pain is well controlled easily. Ever since had my surgery, my dog has stayed close to me, my little nurse I guess, LOL. :dogsniff: Glad all is going well with you. Here's hoping that 2015 is a wonderful year for both of us!! :loveshwr: :flwrysmile::happydance:

@Hoppy Nanny Chrissie, thanks for checking in. I am doing good and things seem to be progressing faster than I expected them too. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that 2015 will be great!!

@Josephine I know this is on my knee thread, but I have a hip question. This has been an ongoing thing but never thought much about it. When I lay on the op side, it feels like I am laying on a tennis ball. Is this a normal thing and will it get better with time? It is aggravating not so much painful but can get a little sore if I lay on that side too long and I have trouble staying comfortable on that side. I am going to bring it up to my OS when I have my next appointment in April which will be my year plus a couple of months with my hip and my 6 month with my knee but I wanted to ask you as well.
 
awesome progress! I also feel a hard lump on my new hip side. sometimes it really is uncomfortable to lay on that side but not always.

A few days after my post I was sidelined with a respiratory virus going around. Flat on my back for 3 days. looking forward I have strength to gain. I am going up and down steps now but using the handrail for assistance and everyday is easier than the day before so hopefully I will be doing just fine by the time I have to go back to work. all my efforts now are gaining strength in my legs again.

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!! don't be a stranger...
 
Wanted to drop in for an update. I am just past 9 weeks and doing pretty good. Last Thurs at PT I was able to go all the way around on the bike and had 105 bend and -4 straightening. Have been going to the gym and getting in the pool and on the treadmill. I went a little overboard and did 20 mins of zumba class (modified of course)and knee is a little sore, which let me know I overdid it. I have PT today and with the knee being sore I know it won't go as well but thats ok, just a minor setback. Not much else to tell,all is going great. Hip is also doing wonderful, pretty much to the forgotten hip stage. Hope everyone is doing ok and having painfree days!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom