TKR Roller Coaster Ride Number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mystikfairy61 , it is harder than the hip. You knew it would be, but the reality really sets in when you feel it for yourself. I do think once you get home, you will feel better because then you can manage it yourself. You will need to figure out what works best for you. I wrote a long post today about what things are like one week out. I know you read my initial posts and they scared you - so take a look at what I wrote today as it might give you hope that this will get better. Just baby yourself and take it hour by hour. You can do this! I do think you are off to a great start even if it does not feel that way. Hugs.
 
@mystikfairy61 Sounds like you are doing very well. I know that you know this but it is so important that it bears repeating. Take your meds as scheduled around the clock. Set an alarm so you never miss a dose. That, combined with almost constant ice and elevation have been (and still are) my lifeline! Best wishes for a restful evening! :)
 
Sorry I have not been on today, finally got my meds and got home and settled. So here we go with Day 3. Got up and had morning meds and breakfast. Got first dressing taken off and a water proof one that I will wear for 3 days. After that I won't have one on at all. I have staples, not stitches like I did with my hip, probably because the joint moves a lot more than the hip and that makes the incision more stable. I have my post op appt set for Dec 1st which is when I will get the staples out. Now that I am home, my pain is more under control. I will now take my meds every 4 hours like they are ordered and see if I can stay ahead of the pain. The ride home was a little uncomfortable but luckily it was only about 15 minutes. My home PT will either be here tomorrow or Monday. In the meantime, I am just gonna do the ankle pumps and short walks around the house. My thigh on my right leg is sore but I think it is because I was using it to push up in the bed while using the trapeze bar. The burning pain that I had in the op knee is under control now, so I am in quite a bit of a better mood. Gonna go take a nap for now. Hope you all have a good day!!
 
@mystikfairy61 Good to hear that you are settled at home. Have a good nap! I got the call for my surgery time today. I have to be there on Tuesday at 9:30 and surgery is scheduled for 10:30.
 
@eldon Congrats on getting your time, it was a lot better than my 8am, had to get there at 6am and got up at 4:30 to take my 2nd shower in the special soap. You are exactly one week after me, I will be watching for your recovery thread!! I just woke up and had to go to the bathroom and it was so strange, I asked if it was about 5pm and was asked why. I said because the knee is burning and it is time for pain med. And it was about 10 til 5 LOL!!!
 
@mystikfairy61 So glad to hear that you are home and now in charge of your own recovery. I find myself waking up just minutes shy of when my med alarm is set to go off, too. It seems like both my knee and my bladder are on the 4 hour cycle! :) Stay well and I'll be watching for your progress reports. Have a restful evening.
 
Not sure what is up tonight. I set up my pillows with the 3 pillow stack and took pain meds at 9pm. For some reason to the inner part of my knee there is a good bit of pain, my gel packs are too frozen to put on right now, had to turn down my freezer. I am doing the ankle pumps only and just going to bathroom and back to couch. My coughing has been rough tonight so not sure if all that is aggravating it or not. I took the ace wrap off and there isn't hardly any swelling. Wanted to check to see if this is normal. The rest of the day has been good and pain wasn't too bad except near time for next pain meds.
 
@mystikfairy61 Sorry to hear you are having more discomfort. Hopefully you can get ice on that sore area as soon as possible. Hope things settle down for you and that you are able to have a restful night. Hugs! :)
 
I had a pretty good night last night after I got the pain under control around 1am. I slept straight thru til 5am got up to the bathroom without any help lifting my leg, stayed up for an hour and then slept from 6-9am. I did 5 legs lifts holding for 5 secs. Went ahead and took a dose of MOM since the poo fairy has not visited me yet. I am not uncomfortable yet from it but didn't want to be that way. Have had some gas movement so at least all is not stopped LOL!! Here's hoping everyone has had a good day today!!
 
@mystikfairy61 Glad you had a good night last night and congratulations on the leg lifts (but don't overdo). I was drinking prune juice and taking colace and senna stool softeners and didn't get any results until day 4 when I added a cup of senna tea (Smooth Moves). That seemed to be the catalyst and have been visited by the poop fairy every day since. I drink one cup of tea in the am and one cup of tea in the pm...no more prune juice or stool softeners. :) Hope you have a great day and another restful evening.
 
Good news, the poo fairy visited me this afternoon after only one dose of MOM!! :welome:
This is a pic I took this afternoon of my huge bandaid that I will have on til Sunday, not much swelling at all so far, :yes!: hoping for another good night's sleep...:sleeep:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Roller Coaster Ride Number 2
    112114170139.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 197
I'm glad you finally got the pain under control last night. I only slept in 3-4 hour increments for at least the first few weeks after surgery. That's probably a good thing because the walk to the bathroom is a good time to stretch. Don't be surprised if you have strange pains and different pains every day. My knees behaved strangely after surgery; I think many of us have gone through that. We use Delsym cough syrup (or generic)- it seems to work better than anything else. I hope your cough goes away soon- a bad cough shakes up your whole body and you don't need extra pain right now. I've never tried senna tea, but wanted to add that Metamucil works great for me.
 
Hello, @mystikfairy61 ... I am SO SO sorry I missed getting on to wish you the best of luck with this surgery. And now you are home already. Please forgive me. I'm glad you're getting more sleep than at first; and that you were visited by the good fairy. I'm glad you're feeling up to keeping a detailed journal. This will help others, of course, but it will help YOU too to be able to see how far you've come. You sound very coherent and upbeat for all you've been through. So glad you got this done in time to be "home for the holidays." Take care, take it slow and keep up with your pain meds. Will be watching your thread!
 
@mystikfairy61 - the inner part of the knee is where my pain is too. Glad you got to sleep in this morning. Hope the day continue do go well for you and pain is controlled.

Get some dried prunes. Snack on them daily. Works for me. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Roller Coaster Ride Number 2
@Peaches That's quite ok my friend, I understand how life can get busy. Today, day 4 has been quite different from the past 2 days. :yes!:My pain levels have been a lot better with my high pain only about a 4 all day, still hardly any swelling, thank goodness!! I went to Walmart with my daughter and rode the little cart :vespa:to get a few things and had no pain while there. I used my cane to get from my car to the cart that my daughter went and got for me and had no problems. I came right home and am icing :ice:and elevating. I told my family that I enjoyed it :thumb: but would not be doing it for a while since I don't want to overdo it. But it sure felt good to get out for a bit. The big picture was taken yesterday and there has been no change. The small pic is of me in the cart at Walmart.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Roller Coaster Ride Number 2
    1122141824.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, @mystikfairy61 ... at Walmart on Day FOUR???!! No way could I have done that after my measly THR! I'm impressed. That's a lot of activity ... getting in and out of a car, riding a cart, battling the crowds. You're probably right to not do it again soon. But, yeah, just getting out in the world probably was a boost for your spirits. So happy the pain levels are down! And along with no swelling, I don't see bruising either. So the bad part is over, and for now it'll be a roller coaster probably but all the anxiety of surgery is behind you. You must feel so relieved. I just noticed you used the term "roller coaster" in both your hip recovery and knee recovery thread titles. It's like we've ended up in some Orthopedic Theme Park. Buying tickets for a THR, a TKR, and after we've ridden those rides, years from now, the Revision Go-Karts. I guess actually the name of the theme park is BoneSmartLand. I'm getting a little silly now, so will close with with the wish that you get some quality sleep tonight. Will check in again soon. Take care, and thank you for posting your pictures!
 
My goodness @mystikfairy61 Day 4 and already using the cane...I am super impressed! So glad to hear that your pain levels are down as well as swelling being under control. You are a mystikfairy! :) Seriously, I'm very happy for you. Sounds like you are doing great!
 
@mystikfairy61 are you sure that is not a motorcycle? It needs a caption under is, "born to be wild" - you look "bad" on that thing!!. Seriously, girl, good for you! Love it!!! Rest up tomorrow! The picture of your incision looks good, not any bruising - so jealous of that as my entire leg was purple on day 4. I bet you are dying to see what is under the bandage. Hope you have a good night's sleep.
 
@LaxMom I got to see the incision at the hospital before I went home they changed the dressing. It has staples and looked really good. I get to take this huge bandaid off tomorrow, they told me to only keep it on 72 hours!! I will take pics tomorrow and post for sure. LOL, Didn't feel like born to be wild, just felt nice to be outdoors.
@sandbar525 It was funny how I came to try the cane. I was tired of turning sideways to get into my bathroom, so decided to see if I could make it comfortably to the toilet with just my cane, and by jove, I did, without a hitch!! So I just leave it inside the door and change out when I get there and leave my walker outside. A mutual friend and me and my hubby at his work said that if I did like I did with my hip, that I will be driving again in 3 weeks. This is my left, so that is a real possibility. My biggest concern is that I hope I didn't overdo and that I don't pay tomorrow for the trip today. Tomorrow will be the real test!! LOL< just thought about what I said and sounded like Wimpy from Popeye, I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today ROFL!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Roller Coaster Ride Number 2
Here is the picture I promised of my knee without the dressing day 5. Really doesn't look bad at all. The 3 longer lines are the marker lines that my OS put on there. Total of 26 staples and 7 3/4 inches long.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom